• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARCH Madness Grading Contest

616 posts in this topic

I still get suprises once in while, but mostly 50% of the time I am correct, 35% of the time I am either of by .2 or under .2. The other 15% i screw up and miss something completely. Lately I have been getting better.

What a bunch of whiners! 27_laughing.gif

Nikos - I may be mistaken, but it looks to me like that chip out on the back cover may be a production defect - are the pages right there also notched/nicked/whatever you want to call it? I've seen many a silver age Marvel with uneven cover edges where the pages are equally uneven, and I believe this is caused by the cutting process, and I don't believe CGC downgrades for this defect.

I went with a 9.2 on this one, although at first impression I was thinking 8.5-9.0-ish due to the soiling/dull color. Upon closer inspection, the spine does not appear to have any spine stress, and the spine corners are pretty sharp. Therefore, I concluded that the book was probably pretty fresh/tight and without any real notable creases or tears (that little bindery tear at the top of the spine is allowed in OS up to 9.4 I believe) I upped my grade. thumbsup2.gif

DB - My thoughts exactly! thumbsup2.gif

#25 fantasyfootballbono vs. #10 jeffreykli

Looks like FFB is going to have to work for it. smile.gif

Jesus, I'm just glad that I didn't get flat out eliminated. When I saw that the book was a 9.4, I thought I was toast. (And of course, I still might be.)

So my fellow teammates rjpb AND inconceivable both got knocked off in the first round? Inconceivable! 893whatthe.gif

Looks like we all guessed 9.0. At least you still have overtime. Sometimes it is better to be lucky. And thanks to Nik's kids for putting me up against one of the 6 (good job imagemask btw) who got the 9.4. Good luck to everyone else.

tonofbricks.gif

Dan

Okay this is what I have so far, but remember the opponents for Round 2 have not been set, since they are determined randomly. So your bracket position will change.

(let me know if I made any errors via PM, thanks.)

717351-marchmadness.JPG

717351-marchmadness.JPG.fc9ff4fd4b519d480b27148f7f2996a9.JPG

I still get suprises once in while, but mostly 50% of the time I am correct, 35% of the time I am either of by .2 or under .2. The other 15% i screw up and miss something completely. Lately I have been getting better.

50% dead on match - sounds like a pretty good hit rate thumbsup2.gif

What a bunch of whiners! 27_laughing.gif

Nikos - I may be mistaken, but it looks to me like that chip out on the back cover may be a production defect - are the pages right there also notched/nicked/whatever you want to call it? I've seen many a silver age Marvel with uneven cover edges where the pages are equally uneven, and I believe this is caused by the cutting process, and I don't believe CGC downgrades for this defect.

I went with a 9.2 on this one, although at first impression I was thinking 8.5-9.0-ish due to the soiling/dull color. Upon closer inspection, the spine does not appear to have any spine stress, and the spine corners are pretty sharp. Therefore, I concluded that the book was probably pretty fresh/tight and without any real notable creases or tears (that little bindery tear at the top of the spine is allowed in OS up to 9.4 I believe) I upped my grade. thumbsup2.gif

DB - My thoughts exactly! thumbsup2.gif

I smell a Final 4 Showdown! sumo.gif

very nice job, as always, Dice.............. thumbsup2.gif

hey just realized if Scott (FFB) loses the tie-break, the entire winning Team from the team-contest will have been eliminated in the first round......... 893whatthe.gif

the former teams are almost akin to conferences, ie., what team will place the most players into the final four?!?! any teams that have everyone through the first round or were totally eliminated??? (we went 3 for 4......)

Very cool thumbsup2.gif

Agreed. Very easy to follow format. thumbsup2.gif

Shouldn't #17 "ninanina" be at the top of the right side, versus bottom of left side. confused-smiley-013.gif

Technically yes, #17 should be at the top of the next bracket, but due to random seeding, a #6 played a #14 which threw off the bracket a bit.

hey just realized if Scott (FFB) loses the tie-break, the entire winning Team from the team-contest will have been eliminated in the first round......... 893whatthe.gif

the former teams are almost akin to conferences, ie., what team will place the most players into the final four?!?! any teams that have everyone through the first round or were totally eliminated??? (we went 3 for 4......)

Dice?!? man..... sorry.gif

Dice?!? man..... sorry.gif

OOPS......... blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

sorry DL................

Deathlok.. nice piece o work. thumbsup2.gif

Anyway can you come up with something special if we do this again?

Might take a bit of work for everyone to print out the new bracket, then re post a scan after they fill it out their piks.. but I think it would be fun.

Something like this..

After we get the new list of 64 players. Plug in the names of the 64 graders in the order that Nikos provides

We can then all print that out.

Then just like with how we pick the seeded teams down the line to pick National Champion in the real NCAA bracket

We all pick who we think will make it through the first round cut..and so on till we pick a final Grading winner. And post a scan of our picks.

This way at least those of us that lose in the first round, can still have something to talk about, while the rest of you get to grade comics for a few weeks.

Might just be me though..... I love to see if I can make picks correctly.... heck I might just do it by myself.. and talk to myself about how smart my picks were.

insane.gif