• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARCH Madness Grading Contest

616 posts in this topic

and then wait to see what Nikos "seeding committee" picks for the next round....and pray to God we don't get matched up with Illinois, BC, Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc.....

Uh, did you forget the HUSKIES!!! makepoint.gif as in defending National Champions!!! sumo.gif

hi.gif

the parallel to the NCAA tournament is quite real here.

some very tough evenly matched first round matches.

some matches with clear favorites.

some players (Sal and ArAich, for example, do very well (9.2) but run into hot teams that nail it (9.4).

some play no better than the above mentioned duo and get through the round because their opponent played slightly worse.

some play poorly, but their opponents fall on their grading faces.

and there are OT games!

and now we wait for the final 7 late night games to fill up the round of 32.

and then wait to see what Nikos "seeding committee" picks for the next round....and pray to God we don't get matched up with Illinois, BC, Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc.........

Very cool format - thanks again, Nikos thumbsup2.gif

not to poo on your theorem here, but i actually advanced...through the will of the Gods, obviously, as my initial guess was going to be 8.5(!!!!) - i told you, i am a harsh grader

#29 norrin radd vs. #33 r1970d - winner - #29 norrin radd

I am victorious! yay.gif

I was seriously going with 9.4 (even had a PM typed up). But just then I got a PM from October_Fire stating that he thought it might be lower, so I decided to hedge and submit a grade of 9.2.

(Last time I consult with HIM on grading! sumo.gif27_laughing.gif)

am i the only one disturbed by this post???

i find the concept of consulting with other contest participants wrong.......and that would go for future round consultations with those who have been eliminated. or with any of the tons of board members who chose not to participate.

it would be like me calling up doug schmell or flying donut or bob storm (well, maybe not bob because he might just give me the wrong grade on purpose......), and having them give their opinions.

to keep the NCAA tournament theme going here, it would be like bringing in a ringer 893naughty-thumb.gif - this ain't a team contest this time.......

JMHO.........

I am victorious! yay.gif

I was seriously going with 9.4 (even had a PM typed up). But just then I got a PM from October_Fire stating that he thought it might be lower, so I decided to hedge and submit a grade of 9.2.

i find the concept of consulting with other contest participants wrong.......and that would go for future round consultations with those who have been eliminated. or with any of the tons of board members who chose not to participate.

it would be like me calling up doug schmell or flying donut or bob storm (well, maybe not bob because he might just give me the wrong grade on purpose......), and having them give their opinions.

to keep the NCAA tournament theme going here, it would be like bringing in a ringer 893naughty-thumb.gif - this ain't a team contest this time.......

JMHO.........

not exactly disturbed, as there wasn't anything explicitly prohibiting that sort of communique, but...

i would hope that in the future, contestants would act singularly

I am victorious! yay.gif

JMHO.........

I was going to post pretty much what BurntBoy said...

I am victorious! yay.gif

JMHO.........

I was going to post pretty much what BurntBoy said...

YEAH! That SUCKS HASS!*

*Obligatory JC comment regarding a contest he's not even participating in, brought to you by the committee on forum hipocrasy. tonofbricks.gif

I am victorious! yay.gif

JMHO.........

893blahblah.gif

I wasn't really consulting. I just sent him a scan of an X-Men #45 9.4 that I thought was similar. He said he thought that the back cover would down-grade it.

And as it was more detrimental than helpful, I won't be discussing grades with anyone for the duration of the contest.

tongue.gif

Nikos, it may not be too late to do this with the round of 32, but with the initial 64 you should have established four "regional" brackets, just like the NCAA. That would have been fun for me and Deathlok to diagram. You could still do it. Four regions with 8 players in each. The winners of each region meet in the Final Four.

I am victorious! yay.gif

JMHO.........

I'v got to admit it caught my eye but I don't think a lot can be done about it.

A certain level of trust is required here.

In his defense, I did consider sharing my thoughts on the books in question with my brother. I didn't though because I want to see how well I will do on my own.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I am victorious! yay.gif

JMHO.........

In his defense, I did consider sharing my thoughts on the books in question with my brother. I didn't though because I want to see how well I will do on my own.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Lantern would have screwed you anyways so it's for the better! poke2.gif

Nikos, it may not be too late to do this with the round of 32, but with the initial 64 you should have established four "regional" brackets, just like the NCAA. That would have been fun for me and Deathlok to diagram. You could still do it. Four regions with 8 players in each. The winners of each region meet in the Final Four.

persoanally, i like the random drawing format for each round that Nikos has come up with. i guess i'm loathe to change things after the wheels have been set in motion unless it's a necessary change........... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

persoanally, i like the random drawing format for each round that Nikos has come up with. i guess i'm loathe to change things after the wheels have been set in motion unless it's a necessary change........... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

screwy.gif

#25 fantasyfootballbono vs. #10 jeffreykli

Looks like FFB is going to have to work for it. smile.gif

Jesus, I'm just glad that I didn't get flat out eliminated. When I saw that the book was a 9.4, I thought I was toast. (And of course, I still might be.)

So my fellow teammates rjpb AND inconceivable both got knocked off in the first round? Inconceivable! 893whatthe.gif

I am victorious! yay.gif

JMHO.........

Collusion!! foreheadslap.gif

For future rounds, I would hope participants refrain from consulting others in an effort to come up with a grade. The last contest was a team contest, this one is not! mad.gif

I am victorious! yay.gif

JMHO.........

confused-smiley-013.gif

Lantern would have screwed you anyways so it's for the better! poke2.gif

devil.gif