• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee Says DC Has A Lot Of Catching Up To Do With Marvel Movies

75 posts in this topic

Merchandise?

It's real easy.

2014 - WORST Spider-man movie ever made:

$500 Million Foreign Box Office

2013 - BEST Superman Movie ever made:

$377 Million Foreign Box Office

2012- Yet ANOTHER Batman Movie:

$636 Million Foreign Box Office

Superman, in terms of merchandise money, is NOT the the #1 superhero in the world. Or even #2.

Recognized? The big boys measure that in dollars.

Since when does merchandise equals box office performance??

Do we have a Superman net worth?

All I keep seeing is Spiderman ahead of Superman and Batman in box office sales. That is true.

But, some could argue that because Action 1 outsold AF15 by 3 times it indicates that Superman is ahead of the pack. But I think until we get real numbers here, not just movies sales, we'll always have a tangible argument

Merchandise?

It's real easy.

Superman, in terms of merchandise money, is NOT the the #1 superhero in the world. Or even #2.

Spider-Man 3 was released in 2007.

Merchandise?

It's real easy.

Since when does merchandise equals box office performance??

Do we have a Superman net worth?

All I keep seeing is Spiderman ahead of Superman and Batman in box office sales. That is true.

But, some could argue that because Action 1 outsold AF15 by 3 times it indicates that Superman is ahead of the pack. But I think until we get real numbers here, not just movies sales, we'll always have a tangible argument

It's very very simple. Who do they make more toys for?

Whoever sells the most... gets the most made.

If Superman sold as much stuff as Spider-man, he'd have just as many movies made and just as many reasons to get toys made.

He doesn't, so he doesn't.

If he did, he would.

Merchandise?

It's real easy.

Spider-Man 3 was released in 2007.

In box office dollars, ASM2 was the worst of the franchise.

One thing to point out.

Yes Stan is right that Marvel has more popular characters than DC, but DC has the two biggest most iconic characters.

That`s not to be taken lightly.

There is nothing wrong with focusing on the big two. In fact if I was DC that`s all I would do.

That`s were the money is.

Anything Batman related is gold.

For years DC has tried to create another universe, and it always fails.

The New DC 52 being the latest failure example.

If DC would just have two separate universes with one being the Superman Universe, and one being the Batman Universe they would do just fine.

All their failures are when they try to copy Marvel with having a universe.

I bet if you ask the majority of Batman and Superman fans they would be happy to kick the rest of the DC Universe to the curb. :o

Think Batman and Superman fans we wouldn`t have no more of those stupid multiple crossovers to endure.

So DC should just stick to Batman and Superman.

Every once in awhile they can throw the Flash, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern fans a bone, but that`s about it.

Merchandise?

It's real easy.

Chuck are we talking though in terms of box-office draw pushing further development of said properties or historical worldwide brand recognition? There is a definite difference.

I do believe that if I walk around outside of the United States with an Iron Man head on it on one day and a Superman "S" symbol shirt the next day, that more people will recognize the Superman symbol. Superman is ingrained in pop culture at this point. Iron Man and some of the other Avengers may be doing better in the now but I believe that Superman is still the character that people "know of".

For baseball - people have heard the name Babe Ruth and know the Yankees.

For basketball - Michael Jordan

Cartoon characters - Mickey Mouse and Superman.

These are things that have entered the pop culture consciousness because their legend has transcended the genre in which they were a part of. While I definitely recognize that Iron Man will currently outsell Superman, I do not believe that Iron Man is currently in the same league yet when it comes to American Pop Culture.

Just some thoughts.

One thing to point out.

Yes Stan is right that Marvel has more popular characters than DC, but DC has the two biggest most iconic characters.

There is nothing wrong with focusing on the big two. In fact if I was DC that`s all I would do.

Yeah, they just sold millions of dollars of comics and trades over the last 3 1/2 years.... what a horrible failure.

If DC would just have two separate universes with one being the Superman Universe, and one being the Batman Universe they would do just fine.

I bet if you ask the majority of Batman and Superman fans they would be happy to kick the rest of the DC Universe to the curb. :o

I'll bet you're wrong.

Think Batman and Superman fans we wouldn`t have no more of those stupid multiple crossovers to endure.

So DC should just stick to Batman and Superman.

Every once in awhile they can throw the Flash, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern fans a bone, but that`s about it.

Arrow on TV? Success.

Flash on TV? Success.

There's more than one way to win the heart's and mind's of fans around the world.

Lot of marvel fanboys up in here. "DC just has batman superman and wonder woman is the stupidest sentence ive heard all year.

I am definitely a Marvel Fanboy. The thing is I don't think that DC lacks character depth. I think that DC has not utilized it's character roster in the way that Marvel has.

Green Arrow is a property that should have been utilized more fully in the live action realm. The perfect example of a missed opportunity is by not spinning off some type of series or at least an anthology series from the Tom Welling Smallville series. There were plenty of doors that could have been opened with guest appearances from other DC characters.

Lmao!

New52 aint a failure, sure better than most of the New "new" marvel cr4p.

Disagree with your opinion 100%

Response to comiconn^^^^^

--------------------------------

Yes, dc is behind in the movie market, but to think that dc only has 2 characters they can use sounds very biased and makes stan lee sound stupid.

Everyone knows who the flash is, green lantern, aquaman, harley quinn, the joker, green arrow, not to mention the popularity of the teen titans right now with kids watching cartoons.

Merchandise?

It's real easy.

Chuck are we talking though in terms of box-office draw pushing further development of said properties or historical worldwide brand recognition? There is a definite difference.

I do believe that if I walk around outside of the United States with an Iron Man head on it on one day and a Superman "S" symbol shirt the next day, that more people will recognize the Superman symbol. Superman is ingrained in pop culture at this point. Iron Man and some of the other Avengers may be doing better in the now but I believe that Superman is still the character that people "know of".

These are things that have entered the pop culture consciousness because their legend has transcended the genre in which they were a part of. While I definitely recognize that Iron Man will currently outsell Superman, I do not believe that Iron Man is currently in the same league yet when it comes to American Pop Culture.

Just some thoughts.

Recognition doesn't equate $

Otherwise, the recognition of Superman would've drawn more foreign audiences to see the movie.

Something kept that Foreign Box Office total down....

Merchandise?

It's real easy.

Just some thoughts.

Otherwise, the recognition of Superman would've drawn more foreign audiences to see the movie.

I am not talking money at all. I am talking about simple brand recognition. I am saying that Superman is more part of the historical American pop culture than the Avengers.

Merchandise?

It's real easy.

Just some thoughts.

I am not talking money at all. I am talking about simple brand recognition. I am saying that Superman is more part of the historical American pop culture than the Avengers.

A) How do you prove that

and even if you could,

B) that and two bits WON'T get either of us a cup of coffee.

so what's the point?

This is quit the conversation so far. All I say is that Superman for all his longevity and importance to the medium, has at more than one period or another found himself out of touch with the times. Superman Returns comes to mind, and this may or may not fit in with the previous comments about box office number comparisons.

The 2006 film was trying to recapture the 1978 movie, the film I think meant well and turned out not to be the best. The film may have set back Superman movies for a number of years but he did bounce back. Think of all the Marvel films that did well during this era (the 2000s). 2c

One thing to point out.

Yeah, they just sold millions of dollars of comics and trades over the last 3 1/2 years.... what a horrible failure.

I'll bet you're wrong.

Pure Superman and Batman fans really have grown tired of that multiple universe nonsense.

Batman and Superman fans just rather read about their adventures in Gotham and Metropolis.

Must Superman and Batman be teamed up with every c-lister DC creates to get a jump for that c-listers sales?

I think it dilutes Batman and Superman.

Cheapens them.

Let`s face it the rest of the DC Universe needs the Superman and Batman mythos more than Batman and Superman need them.

Merchandise?

It's real easy.

Just some thoughts.

A) How do you prove that

and even if you could,

so what's the point?

a) Some things you cannot measure with numbers.

b) It was for discussion. Seriously? I expect more from you. Don't worry. I will go. One could say that for almost anything that goes on in this forum when it comes to any type of discussion.

Be well

One thing to point out.

I'll bet you're wrong.

Pure Superman and Batman fans really have grown tired of that multiple universe nonsense.

Batman and Superman fans just rather read about their adventures in Gotham and Metropolis.

Must Superman and Batman be teamed up with every c-lister DC creates to get a jump for that c-listers sales?

I think it dilutes Batman and Superman.

Cheapens them.

Let`s face it the rest of the DC Universe needs the Superman and Batman mythos more than Batman and Superman need them.

Batman and Superman fans are buying out copies of Convergence so far....

Merchandise?

It's real easy.

Just some thoughts.

A) How do you prove that

and even if you could,

so what's the point?

a) Some things you cannot measure with numbers.

b) It was for discussion. Seriously? I expect more from you. Don't worry. I will go. One could say that for almost anything that goes on in this forum when it comes to any type of discussion.

Be well

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful... I'm just saying, what's the point of discussing something that's unprovable to the point?