• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars: Rogue One
1 1

624 posts in this topic

Excellent movie. Liked this more than TFA.

Ditto...and resurrected Grand Moff Tarkin caught me totally off guard. I almost cheered out loud in the theater as I am a huge fan of Peter Cushing's role in the original film (GF wasn't aware until I whispered it to her that he had died decades earlier) and thought including him in Rogue One was a wonderful tribute to a great actor.

I agree that CGI Leia seemed much more plastic but, as I was seeing the film only days after her untimely death, her appearance still tugged at my heartstrings.

We rushed home as soon as the movie was over to watch my Star Wars blu-ray. I just wish we had the option of watching the original theater release without the later, added CG effects.

when a little girl rips the film up like this, how can you think this was a end all to be all movie???

:roflmao: She tore Amanda Waller a new one in her SS review.

I watched the whole R1 review from her.

:roflmao: she nails a lot of things.

I stand corrected. I just read the Leia's face was done using CGI but I felt it looked nothing like her.

It's exaggeration in the extreme to describe the CGI as looking "nothing like her." Can you tell it's CGI? If you're familiar with the qualities of CGI and realize that it often falls apart once it starts moving, then yes, you can absolutely tell. Did they match her facial characteristics? They're identical. Full-size comparison image is in the spoiler.

rogue-one-leia-real-leiajpg.jpeg

rogue-one-leia-real-leiajpg.jpeg?w=700&dpr=2&auto=format,compress&q=75

As for the CGI, Tarkin was less 'obvious' to me than Leia but I wonder if the fact that Tarkins secenes were in black/darker scenes and Leia's were in the bright white surroundings made the CGI less 'realistic'?

Regardless, after her passing, it was nice to see her on the big screen again. Give it a few years when the technology improves and they remaster it and you won't be able to tell at all...

Yes that's it exactly, the darkness hid the flaws when animating Tarkin. Animating humans believably in films has been the holy grail of CGI for at least three decades now, so I'm guessing it'll take significantly more than just a few years to master it.

I'm wondering if Fisher's daughter could have pulled it off, maybe with a combination of makeup, lighting, and some CGI re-touching...?

Maybe so with the CGI re-touching. Certainly there are lots of facial similarities between them and their body sizes and heights are nearly identical, and certainly she would have been more convincing than the full CGI once her mouth and face started moving.

lourd_large.jpg

Finally saw it. We like it a lot, had a lot of fun. The ineptitude of storm troopers and the odd design of imperial installations was more striking in this movie though.

But I like that they were mixing it up and not keeping things too predictable, in terms of what you expect and certain movie tropes.

Overall very enjoyable, but not as much as episode seven, though I think probably more rewatchable because I want to watch the battle scenes more closely.

Finally saw it. We like it a lot, had a lot of fun. The ineptitude of storm troopers and the odd design of imperial installations was more striking in this movie though.

But I like that they were mixing it up and not keeping things too predictable, in terms of what you expect and certain movie tropes.

Overall very enjoyable, but not as much as episode seven, though I think probably more rewatchable because I want to watch the battle scenes more closely.

Right, these were classic 70s/80s Stormtroopers :insane:

Even the prequels had better trained Stormtroopers. It seems the First Order Stormtroopers are finally living up to their reputation :sumo:

Anyway I liked that this movie tied seamlessly into A New Hope.

when a little girl rips the film up like this, how can you think this was a end all to be all movie???

I thought her review of the movie was suuuuper boring.

I wonder why they decided to make the lighting and textures so soft on Liea. I know they wanted it to be the young, hopeful her, but it was a bit much. The ovearly soft to me is what made it look CGI. With Tarkin, they did not use that same lighting, and while I still found it a little distracting, it was better.

Edited by drotto

I wonder why they decided to make the lighting and textures so soft on Liea. I know they wanted it to be the young, hopeful her, but it was a bit much. The ovearly soft to me is what made it look CGI. With Tarkin, they did not use that same lighting, and while I still found it a little distracting, it was better.

Well all of Tarkins scenes were on a darker death star while Leia's were on the Tontine IV which we saw in the original movies as being all white and bright. So i think they were stuck trying to match the original sets.

Well all of Tarkins scenes were on a darker death star while Leia's were on the Tontine IV which we saw in the original movies as being all white and bright. So i think they were stuck trying to match the original sets.

I know that explains the lighting, but it does not explain the very soft textures. Look at the photos from earlier in this thread. The "real" Liea looks much sharper, and her face has both better definition, as well as showing the defects and inconsistences in Carrie's features. The CGI on the other hand is very soft around the edges, and her facial textures are unnaturally even and soft. Her skin tone in the CGI is artificially smooth, and overall she appears almost blurry. It is a very similar effect that you get using Photoshop to even out a person's complexion with the airbrush tool. It looks overly touched up like a cover to a fashion magazine.

I am not saying that CGI has become 100% realistic, and do not expect it to be. But the Textures used on Tarkin (again removing the lighting as a feature) show much more depth and complexity.

Edited by drotto

I thought her review of the movie was suuuuper boring.

And bad. She mentions Saw only being in one scene, but he was in two. And his inclusion explains why Jyn was so experienced as a soldier. I gave up just after that, as her review was too bad to continue.

Right, because passive-aggressive millenials are the new go-to movie experts. lol

well if she can get a bunch of nerds on a nerd forum to make comments, that's for sure worth something. She probably misses things on purpose to rile up the people and get them to watch again or talk about it.

Dammit I fell for it too!

I saw it for the second time last night. I first thought the movie dragged a bit in the first half, but because I knew what to expect, the pacing seemed better the second time. Felt the movie was average on the first viewing, but, much better on the second viewing. Watching it in a small private screening room with a state of the art sound system doesn't hurt either.