• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Dealer Tomorrow's Treasues and Human Torch #23

76 posts in this topic

I got to witness the coin flip with an unsuspecting dealer at the Carbo show in March. I didn't know what was more fun to watch, Richie's performance or the look on the guy's face.

It was great.

I got to witness the coin flip with an unsuspecting dealer at the Carbo show in March. I didn't know what was more fun to watch, Richie's performance or the look on the guy's face.

It was great.

someone should video Richie's booth just to youtube this...

I'm sure facial expressions would be classic, especially if he's floor slapping books.

lol

It was great.

I'm sure facial expressions would be classic, especially if he's floor slapping books.

lol

This is close, but alas, no floor slapping.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avGZJuGirzg

Rich Muchin sold me a book that he'd graded "Good+" and "everything attached", only to discover that the cover was not attached at all, both halves of the cover were split, and the whole shebang was taped back together.

When I approached him about it, he was utterly dismissive, and refused to do anything about it.

I would not deal with him.

It was great.

lol

This is close, but alas, no floor slapping.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avGZJuGirzg

Was that Roy I saw talking to Gator?

Rich Muchin sold me a book that he'd graded "Good+" and "everything attached", only to discover that the cover was not attached at all, both halves of the cover were split, and the whole shebang was taped back together.

When I approached him about it, he was utterly dismissive, and refused to do anything about it.

Sounds like he was right, everything was attached. That's what tape does! :D

So would you classify tape as conservation :insane: Afterall, putting tape on a book is basically keeping the covers and/or pages all together :idea:

I'd classify archival tape (rice paper) as conservation. Scotch tape is no substitute! Scotch should be reserved for cask strength single malt. :headbang:

:D

Still not a "Good+."

I paraphrased...he said "cover attached at staples."

:D

Still not a "Good+."

I paraphrased...he said "cover attached at staples."

Cover detached and front/back completely split is a Fair, a Poor, or a Poor/Fair (is that even a grade?) depending on what else might be wrong with it.

Maybe a Fair + if it still had some gloss... :insane:

Something is wrong with this story...besides the fact that Ritchie now has gray hair...lol I have never known Ritchie to not take a book back when a customer disputes his grading, UNLESS the customer was too pushy or demanding. I don't know rocky, and I was not part of the transaction, but I've known Ritchie for over 20 years and I know his quirks. So, I will ask, Rocky, did you get a little over the top with him? Were you a little pushy about the book's defects? Because it just seems strange that he wouldn't make it right.

For those new to Ritchie...here's rule #1-Never buy sight unseen off of ebay. Rule 2)-call him on the phone and have him describe the book in detail. Rule #3)-Always politely ask what kind of lower price you might be able to get because you are not rich...

I know that most collectors love to push a buy it now button on the computer, instead of calling on the phone and actually getting some info first...for those who like to push buttons now and complain later, I just say...lazy is as lazy does...