• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 Sales - Up, Down or Sideways?

57 posts in this topic

Curious about your opinions: What's your best guess about AF 15 sales in the next year or two…going up, down or staying flat? Specifically, I'm talking CGC 7.0 Universal… I see that GPA prices for that grade have been relatively flat (tho a bit inconsistent) over the past couple years...

I think 4.0 and 4.5 will top out at 20kish over next 2 years.

7.0s and up especially clean looking books have some more room to top up. Always a new investor type looking to come in and given spidey's new life as avengers tie in - another good driver for an already stellar key silver age book.

Curious about your opinions: What's your best guess about AF 15 sales in the next year or two…going up, down or staying flat? Specifically, I'm talking CGC 7.0 Universal… I see that GPA prices for that grade have been relatively flat (tho a bit inconsistent) over the past couple years...

Ive been having the same thoughts since i recently upgraded to a 7.0. Prices for 7.0 have been stable the last three years while 6.0s and below have been climbing. I speculate the 7.0 and above will play catch up in the near future.

I believe lower grades will continue to moderately increase while the "deep " end of the pool will remain somewhat stagnant (unless the copy is upgradable)...I divested myself of all my high grade copies and decided to focus on 2.0 to 4.5....easier to buy and much easier to sell in the shallow end of the pool...

just my opinion, mileage will vary

I believe lower grades will continue to moderately increase while the "deep " end of the pool will remain somewhat stagnant (unless the copy is upgradable)...I divested myself of all my high grade copies and decided to focus on 2.0 to 4.5....easier to buy and much easier to sell in the shallow end of the pool...

I need a membership to your pool...

However, not sure I like my people at the pool to have a lot of "mileage..."

Many more people can afford a 4k copy that someone may have paid 3k for last year than a 50k copy and hoping to get 70k this year. The latter becomes unlikely.

7.0+ prices vary because of centering and chipping in my opinion. A 7.0 can for for 33k or 43k. When you have them side by side you'll know why and someone paying that much money is going to be careful about how they spend it. Since a small difference can create a 10k swing, it's hard to tell if the book is really appreciating, depreciating, or stagnant.

There is a 7.5 on CL right now. I don't like that white chunk missing under the 12 cent label. I wouldn't buy it as a 7.5 and something like that may impact price and perception if enough people agree.

Here's how I look at books like AF 15, Hulk 1 ect...

In 20-25+ years from now or whenever I decide to retire and I still have this book, is it still going to be the same price as when I bought? The answer is no. When you are 70 years old, you'll look back and say "you know, 30 years ago I could have bought that book for $XX, XXXX, Now look at it!!!!, I should have bought it"

In 20-25+ years from now or whenever I decide to retire and I still have this book, is it still going to be the same price as when I bought? The answer is no. When you are 70 years old, you'll look back and say "you know, 30 years ago I could have bought that book for $XX, XXXX, Now look at it!!!!, I should have bought it"

+1

Look at how many people say that about them NOW. lol

-J.

If we are looking at 20-25+ years from now, I'm curious to see if AF15 and Hulk #1 are still going to hold the top two spots. Would Spidey or Hulk still maintain their level of popularity or would they be overtaken by other heroes like Iron Man or the Avengers for example? 30 years ago, Fantastic Four #1 was on top of the Silver Age Marvel list.

If we are looking at 20-25+ years from now, I'm curious to see if AF15 and Hulk #1 are still going to hold the top two spots. Would Spidey or Hulk still maintain their level of popularity or would they be overtaken by other heroes like Iron Man or the Avengers for example? 30 years ago, Fantastic Four #1 was on top of the Silver Age Marvel list.

Look at past performance, doesn't matter who's #1 These books have continued to climb time and time again.

+1

Look at how many people say that about them NOW. lol

-J.

Exactly, That's why I don't waste my money on buying books that don't matter. Stuff like ASM 300 is not going to be a $40,000+ book in 20 years.

EXACTLY. I finally realized that I was going to have to bite the bullet...so I picked up a 4.5 that presents nice with very minor chipping and decent page quality. I got tired of watching it go up and up and finally I just made payments on mine. It's already up since I bought it :)

Look at past performance, doesn't matter who's #1 These books have continued to climb time and time again.

We all know the phrase in investing that starts with "past performance..." right?

Right

We all know the phrase in investing that starts with "past performance..." right?

+1

Keys priced under $10K move faster as there is a wider pool of buyers that can afford it.

+1

Keys priced under $10K move faster as there is a wider pool of buyers that can afford it.

10k and below: 2.5s and below nowadays

If you think unrestored copies are going to go down you have a surprise coming.

Are you refering to my comment that you can only get a 2.5 or below if you dont have more than 10k? Af15 is my favorite and most followed book; values of unrestored copies will not go down