• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 May 28-30 Comics Signature Auction

277 posts in this topic

I thought Kirby prices were strong, I was instantly out bid every time I hit the button! I walked away with nothing today.......but I did receive this yesterday, so that makes up for the Kirby's I lost today.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryPiece.asp?Piece=1230576&GSub=0&GCat=75437&UCat=75437

Kirby prices were strong except for the Strange Tales Splash, sold at the lower end of my expectations and I expect the consigner is disappointed.

Btw congrats on the nice page

A number of pieces I bid on went too high, especially the Byrne Uncanny X-Men #136 page ($28K WOW!), House of Mystery #185 Williamson page, Mystery in Space #85, and Joseph Clement Illo, but in the end I got the piece I liked the most in the auction Vampirella #13 by Sanjulian.

Love the early Warren Vampirella covers, most are out of my range Frazetta, Wood, Jones. #13 was Sanjulian's 2nd and one of my favorite covers from the series, his first cover Vampi #12 is the best Warren cover featuring Vampi (#1 by Frazetta is nice but the pose always bugged me).

Vampirella_13_cvr.jpg

33k snoopy daily... don't remember seeing a daily that high

That was a World War One Fighter Ace strip with Snoopy on dog house in all four panels wearing the goggles and scarf. And there was even a root beer line. Highly prized. I would have dropped the cash if I had it to spare.

This is the first time I`ve tuned into the live auction. I hadn`t realized that the auctioneer doesn`t describe or play up the pieces at all. When the Flash Gordon piece that`s on the cover of the catalog came up, I thought she would say something, but no. For her, it`s all about the lot number and price movement.

I guess it was just the particular auctioneer. The current guy is more what I expected, talking up the details of the pieces.

I don't recall Heritage ever having an auctioneer with any love/feel for the comics and the comics market. This is not like Christie's or Sotheby's where the auctioneer is suave, knowledgeable and an expert extractor of cash from wallets.

"Suave" and "knowledgeable about comics" is not a combination you often see in one person! lol

131k for nemo

that was unexpected!

yet richly deserved. The greatest victorian strip! :preach:

I have the highest regard for Winsor McKay but, based on my limited knowledge and recollection of the Nemo market, this seems like a record price for a Nemo of this quality.

Agreed. What I meant by 'richly deserved' was that its nice to see this material getting the love.

Can't help but wonder if this wouldn't appeal to say, a flash gordon buyer hm

From an artistic sense, it`s a no-brainer.

Major six figures for a piece by Herb Trimpe, or beautiful work by truly talented artists for a fraction of the price?

I understand that nostalgia and significance within comic book history are all major factors, but... Herb Trimpe!!! :eek:

I have the highest regard for Winsor McKay

That guy`s a hack. I much prefer Winsor McCay. :baiting:

Him too! :headbang:

Just goes to show how tired I was. :tonofbricks: I have my Sunday Press giant-sized Nemo editions on my coffee and walk by them constantly.

I was the under bidder on the Lee wolverine cover. Thought I had it twice but the phone bidder just kept on going. C'est la vie. :sorry:

-J.

Sorry about that...not really ; ) The cover needed to come home with me.

I thought Kirby prices were strong, I was instantly out bid every time I hit the button! I walked away with nothing today.......but I did receive this yesterday, so that makes up for the Kirby's I lost today.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryPiece.asp?Piece=1230576&GSub=0&GCat=75437&UCat=75437

That's a great page, congrats!