• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 May 28-30 Comics Signature Auction

277 posts in this topic

If the rumors I`ve heard are true, I don`t think the winner really cares. $150K or $200K for him is like $15 or $20 for us normal folks.

Yeah, though he's pledged the bulk of his fortune to philanthropy. Guess he still has enough to buy a $155K Flash Gordon Sunday, though. (:

155k! Didn't see that coming.

Well, that other one sold for $215K last year...I'm pretty sure HA was expecting $150K+, which is why they put it on the catalog cover.

I don't have any thoughts on the price, just that the art itself is bite-the-back-of-your-hand beautiful.

I just want to know who the hell these buyers think they are selling to in the future. Is there a secret pool of collectors below 35 years of age willing to pay these prices for Prince Valiant or Flash Gordon?

If the rumors I`ve heard are true, I don`t think the winner really cares. $150K or $200K for him is like $15 or $20 for us normal folks.

Wait, so Gene bought it?

:-)

This is the first time I`ve tuned into the live auction. I hadn`t realized that the auctioneer doesn`t describe or play up the pieces at all. When the Flash Gordon piece that`s on the cover of the catalog came up, I thought she would say something, but no. For her, it`s all about the lot number and price movement.

I just want to know who the hell these buyers think they are selling to in the future. Is there a secret pool of collectors below 35 years of age willing to pay these prices for Prince Valiant or Flash Gordon?

The whole hobby is based, to one degree or another, on the faith that future generations will share our love and appreciation of this medium as much as we do, whether we're talking about Flash Gordon or the Fantastic Four.

In any case, I suspect that the people who buy stuff like 6-figure Flash Gordon Sundays are older and probably very financially secure. Doubt anyone is buying these to speculate on prices or extending themselves financially to buy them as you see more often in mainstream superhero art. 2c

Thanks Gene, always appreciate your input. It's a good point that I always forget, sometimes you just want to enjoy it and don't care about resale. For me I am thinking of both buying things I enjoy as well as things that will have a high resale value. That's my mistake.

Yeah, though he's pledged the bulk of his fortune to philanthropy. Guess he still has enough to buy a $155K Flash Gordon Sunday, though. (:

Charity starts at home!

Charity starts at home!

Especially when this is your home!

189rh9uturr65jpg.jpg

This is the first time I`ve tuned into the live auction. I hadn`t realized that the auctioneer doesn`t describe or play up the pieces at all. When the Flash Gordon piece that`s on the cover of the catalog came up, I thought she would say something, but no. For her, it`s all about the lot number and price movement.

I guess it was just the particular auctioneer. The current guy is more what I expected, talking up the details of the pieces.

Charity starts at home!

Especially when this is your home!

189rh9uturr65jpg.jpg

Petra Stunt collects Flash Gordon?

I guess it was just the particular auctioneer. The current guy is more what I expected, talking up the details of the pieces.

I don't recall Heritage ever having an auctioneer with any love/feel for the comics and the comics market. This is not like Christie's or Sotheby's where the auctioneer is suave, knowledgeable and an expert extractor of cash from wallets.

Was really thinking about going after that Venture Brothers art.

:gossip: I own a cooler piece than that :P

The storyboard for "The Nozzle" sequence from season 3 "The Invisible Hand of Fate". I actually have all the boards for the entire sequence, this particular one is signed by both guys and framed.

15116473309_0b2dea270f_c.jpg

Mignola Dracula...anyone...anyone...closed

Apparently the guy who placed the $16,000 bid used up all the cocaine for anybody else to make a crazy bid lol.