• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 May 28-30 Comics Signature Auction

277 posts in this topic

Thought given where some of the recent Conan/Belit covers and splashes had gone, that the all-JB Conan #94 cover would have done better than $14.9K. Not a bad price, but makes the comps look overpriced by comparison.

I thought the Adams Bats and Conan pages went cheap. Good buys to whoever snagged them.

Not the best poses or action on Batman but still it feels like it went for 1/2 price.

Being at the beginning of the alphabet in a 1,000 piece auction is a tough spot. Everyone's holding their fire.

I thought the Adams Bats and Conan pages went cheap. Good buys to whoever snagged them.

Not the best poses or action on Batman but still it feels like it went for 1/2 price.

Being at the beginning of the alphabet in a 1,000 piece auction is a tough spot. Everyone's holding their fire.

:gossip: It wasn't in the front of the alphabet. There were two "Collections" that were put in front. The Tom Tataranowicz collection, of which that page was a part of" jumped to the front of the line, same with Kirby piece that sold.

It's not an A page, but Bats is in 4 out of the 5 panels and there are some decent poses (esp. panel #1)...$5K is definitely too cheap IMO!! :sumo:

:gossip: It wasn't in the front of the alphabet. There were two "Collections" that were put in front. The Tom Tataranowicz collection, of which that page was a part of" jumped to the front of the line, same with Kirby piece that sold.

And if it wasn't from Tom's collection it would still be in the front of the auction because it's in the front of the alphabet like they do with every auction for art. lol

Lots of action on this Wrightson "Jenifer" page. It's from a great story, probably Wrightson's most memorable work for Warren. Pages always seem to be hotly contested by, I'm guessing, the same 2 or 3 bidders. This is one of those things that I think will be worth a lot less in 20 years, but, if you want a page now, you'll have to pay up huge to get one.

It's not an A page, but Bats is in 4 out of the 5 panels and there are some decent poses (esp. panel #1)...$5K is definitely too cheap IMO!! :sumo:

Right. That's super duper cheap for Adam's Bats from that era.

Right. That's super duper cheap for Adam's Bats from that era.

Part of me regrets not trying to grab that page, I love that era of Batman (including having a Neal Adams pencil and ink 11X17 of Ras hanging on my wall lol) but after what I just had to pay to get the one piece I wanted, and still have a few others I want, I don't regret it that much :/

155k! Didn't see that coming.

Well, that other one sold for $215K last year...I'm pretty sure HA was expecting $150K+, which is why they put it on the catalog cover.

I don't have any thoughts on the price, just that the art itself is bite-the-back-of-your-hand beautiful.

Well, that other one sold for $215K last year...I'm pretty sure HA was expecting $150K+, which is why they put it on the catalog cover.

I don't have any thoughts on the price, just that the art itself is bite-the-back-of-your-hand beautiful.

Ah, I didn't remember that sale. I figured it was more around 100k even.

Agreed re the quality of the art.

I just want to know who the hell these buyers think they are selling to in the future. Is there a secret pool of collectors below 35 years of age willing to pay these prices for Prince Valiant or Flash Gordon?

Ah, I didn't remember that sale. I figured it was more around 100k even.

Agreed re the quality of the art.

Yea it was in last May's auction. It was also the basis for a USPS stamp. http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/comic-strip-art/alex-raymond-flash-gordon-sunday-comic-strip-used-to-create-a-usps-1995-comic-strip-classics-stamp-o-total-2-items-/a/7093-92147.s

I just want to know who the hell these buyers think they are selling to in the future. Is there a secret pool of collectors below 35 years of age willing to pay these prices for Prince Valiant or Flash Gordon?

If the rumors I`ve heard are true, I don`t think the winner really cares. $150K or $200K for him is like $15 or $20 for us normal folks.

Hi everyone. Just a last minute reminder that I have 5 auctions coming to an end today and tomorrow.

Here's a link so you can take and look and hopefully bid.

http://comics.ha.com/c/search.zx?type=friend-consignorlive-notice&saleNo=7136&collection=213&FC=0

Included in these lots are a 1975 Gil Kane Green Lantern Pin-up - all Ink no markers!- that I believe was published in one of Martin Greim's Fanzines, according to Albert Moy, from whom I purchased it.

I also have up for auction the very first comic book appearance of Steve Austin, the painted cover to Six Million Dollar Man #1 from Charlton Comics by Joe Staton from 1976.

There is also a Joe Staton Power Girl sketch of her busting out of chains and her costume.

Last piece I'll mention is a 1987 Bill Sienkiewicz Teen Titans Spotlight cover of Aqualad tripping out thanks to Mento of the Doom Patrol. Flash, Cyborg and Jericho are also on this cover. Bill was a busy guy in 1987, as Elektra Assassin #6-8, hit the stands before this Titans cover did and Shadow # 1-5, Comet Man #1-6 and the covers ot Question #1-11 all hit stands the same year. Bill was in his prime and in high demand and output. Those were the days.

Thanks for looking.

John

At this pace the original art section will conclude in about 15 hours.

The whole hobby is based, to one degree or another, on the faith that future generations will share our love and appreciation of this medium as much as we do, whether we're talking about Flash Gordon or the Fantastic Four.

In any case, I suspect that the people who buy stuff like 6-figure Flash Gordon Sundays are older and probably very financially secure. Doubt anyone is buying these to speculate on prices or extending themselves financially to buy them as you see more often in mainstream superhero art. 2c