• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thank You CGC by Tnerb

19 posts in this topic

Or, How is that for an OAK, Bagofleas?

For the past five plus years I have collected comic books graded by CGC. The first year, I dabbled. I was sticking my toe in, and then the following year, I jumped in. For three years I collected heavily, spending a lot more than my original self-imposed monetary limit of $45 per book in many cases. The last year I have limited myself to either books that meant something to me or from my birth month and year.

I was able to go to ECCC again, but only because of the generosity of The RonnyLama. I limited my purchases and my submissions. I only submitted one book and purchased less than $100 worth of comic books. My main purchase was a blank variant of Batman #29. I had an idea, but CGC had to be on board with it. I originally talked to Shawn about it and he seemed to have loved the idea.

Instead of sending the book in, I brought it to Wizard World in Philadelphia. I was able to contact Paul who also seemed to like the idea. And after getting it back, I see they loved the idea. They graded the book a ten. I know blank variants are made of sterner stuff, but a ten. Is it a ten? And would I be me if I didn't at least question the validity of a grade, especially a grade I never would have given it.

They went further though. The book isn't even labeled Batman #29. It is labeled as Wedding Vows #1. They clarified it further by marking it "Awesome" in the creators area of the label and dating it for 7/4/15, my wedding date. They marked it as "wedding vows written by Lee Gordon" and even wrote their own Congratulations and best wishes on the label. The book is worthless to anyone but my fiancée and myself.

Thank you CGC for not only this book, but for the collection I have, and for the times you've helped me and invited me down there for a job interview. Thank you for the friendships that stemmed from your existence. Thank you Paul and Shawn for that first interview all those years ago. Thank you Molly, Brie,and Jeeter for all the conversations, if shortly lived during the conventions. Thank you Mike for your time especially when things became stressful. A special thanks to Gemma who helped me out in my earliest days of CGC by making sure I could interact on the boards. And another for Brad, who made my time down in Florida a raving good time. And for anyone I missed, I'm sorry.

Thank you to all the graders, for your impartial expertise. Thanks for a product I believe in if not agree with one hundred percent. And thank you for what comes next, whatever that may be.

Thanks for reading

Tnerb

16641.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

It was generous of CGC to accommodate your request.

It was an even greater idea.

Much happiness, good fortune, and health to the both of you.

On a side note, I am thoroughly enjoying the fools that are all up in arms over this on the FB group. Those who are overly critical and cannot let it go over there can go stuff it.

On a side note, I am thoroughly enjoying the fools that are all up in arms over this on the FB group. Those who are overly critical and cannot let it go over there can go stuff it.

Link?

Link?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/313671402105864/584486228357712/?notif_t=group_comment_reply

How cool is that! Heirloom status... Congratulations and what an incredibly cool idea and amazing why to "archive" it! I'm going out on a limb, but I'd think this book has to be your Grail key, which is exactly what it's all about!