• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 silver age keys in 2015

260 posts in this topic

Top 10 of 2015?

This is probably more of a "whats hot in silver age in 2015" so far.

1) Amazing Fantasy 15

2) Hulk 1

3) Showcase 4

4) Brave And The Bold 28

5) Avengers 1

6) Flash 105

7) Tales To Astonish 27

8) Showcase 22

9) Action Comics 252

10) Fantastic Four 52

It doesn't seem the list of top 10 silver age keys have changed very much the last few years due to movies, with the possible exception of ST 110 trying to sneak in at the 10 spot on some lists. Some of the other books might move up or down a notch or two, but the pecking order is pretty established. DC's might be gaining ground, but not the "traditional" SA DC's (Showcase 8 and 9 were in Overstreet's Top 10 SA books in 2010).

Graded copies of FF 45 have to be about the worst "investment" book out there...the census has grown by 80% in the last 12 months, and like any Marvel from 1965, there is no lack of supply. Same with FF 52, which is now the 3rd most submitted FF book (behind FF 1 and 48) and a census that has doubled in the last 2 years.

I'll give it a shot...difficult to narrow it down, right? Tricky finding balance between influencing the Age as well as value (and keeping my own feelings at bay). I could spend all day analyzing. Sounds better than submitting all these TPS reports to keep Lumbergh off my back. :)

1) AF 15

2) Showcase 4

3) Brave/Bold 28

4) Avengers 1

5) TOS 39

6) FF 1 (Admittedly not a huge FF fan, but it is very important.)

7) Journey into Mystery 83

8) ASM 1

9) Daredevil 1 (This is the year for DD!)

10) Hulk 1 (Don't personally find Hulk that influential, but very valuable.)

Action 252 (Hope for the new series? Fool's hope?)

This is the no brainer list

AF 15 (creeps up yearly)

FF 1 (lagging)

SC 4 (regardless of value it was the kick start of SA)

Avengers 1 (a little stagnant)

DD 1 (undervalued)

TOS 39 (a little stagnant)

BB 28 (peaked)

JIM 83 (inching up)

Hulk 1 (overpriced)

X-Men 1 (stagnant)

Add these notable mentions:

Action 252 (it’s tripled and quadrupled in lower grades, but the census is GROWING. This says there are a lot more buyers than available books). Last I looked there were 2 in 9.0 and 1 in 9.2 now there are 8 in 9.0 and 3 in 9.2. With no sales in 9+ pre-series announcement.

Adventure 283 (not sure why it was a top 10 in 2013, but undervalued. 2 Movies, Smallville, and possibly Batman v Superman in cameo dead. For some reason cinema can’t get past Zod and Lex too)

SC 22 (undervalued)

GL 1 (undervalued)

JLA 1 (really don't follow it)

Flash 105 (prices all over the place)

Flash 139 (overpriced. Nice book to have for Flash fans)

ST 110 (overpriced)

FF 48 (they are everywhere, but this was the first SS and Galactus)

Batman 121 (they are unicorns in high grade)

B&B 54 (when a movie or TV show hits everyone will be telling each other “I told you so”)

ASM1 (if you can't get an AF15 or want to complete your run. Either way it's inching up)

SS 4 (I just like the cover not sure how many agree with this)

Not on the list:

Avengers 4 (dropping like a rock and people are starting not to care)

AF 15 (creeps up yearly)

FF 1 (lagging)

DD 1 (undervalued)

BB 28 (peaked)

JIM 83 (inching up)

Hulk 1 (overpriced)

X-Men 1 (stagnant)

Action 252 (it’s tripled and quadrupled in lower grades, but the census is GROWING. This says there are a lot more buyers than available books). Last I looked there were 2 in 9.0 and 1 in 9.2 now there are 8 in 9.0 and 3 in 9.2. With no sales in 9+ pre-series announcement.

Adventure 283 (not sure why it was a top 10 in 2013, but undervalued. 2 Movies, Smallville, and possibly Batman v Superman in cameo dead. For some reason cinema can’t get past Zod and Lex too)

SC 22 (undervalued)

GL 1 (undervalued)

ST 110 (overpriced)

B&B 54 (when a movie or TV show hits everyone will be telling each other “I told you so”)

ASM1 (if you can't get an AF15 or want to complete your run. Either way it's inching up)

Not on the list:

Good post. Agree with the vast majority and I like the parenthetical analyses. Some comments:

* Avengers 4 in 6.0 just hit an all-time high, although other grades have seen prices fall a little bit, so it depends on the grade maybe.

* ST 110 is under-priced.

* JLA 1 is climbing (the affordable BB28).

* SC 30 and SC 34 in mid- to high-grade are notable mentions (undervalued).

For the top 20 Silver Age individual books ranked by monthly investment return -- so what is "hot" in 2015 -- this is what GPA has to say:

1 Fantastic Four (1961) No.93 (9.4) 1969 Marvel Comics +18.83% 0

2 Fantastic Four (1961) No.67 (8.5) 1967 Marvel Comics +18.74% 3

3 Fantastic Four (1961) No.45 (4.0) 1965 Marvel Comics +16.28% 3

4 Fantastic Four (1961) No.48 (8.0) 1966 Marvel Comics +13.02% 1

5 Fantastic Four (1961) No.45 (8.0) 1965 Marvel Comics +10.57% 3

6 Fantastic Four (1961) No.56 (8.5) 1966 Marvel Comics +9.91% 0

7 Fantastic Four (1961) No.45 (6.0) 1965 Marvel Comics +9.57% 5

8 Doctor Strange (1968-1987) No.169 (7.5) 1968 Marvel Comics +9.51% 1

9 Fantastic Four (1961) No.46 (7.0) 1966 Marvel Comics +8.67% 1

10 Fantastic Four (1961) No.45 (6.5) 1965 Marvel Comics +8.24% 2

11 Fantastic Four (1961) No.45 (7.5) 1965 Marvel Comics +7.89% 3

12 Fantastic Four (1961) No.46 (7.5) 1966 Marvel Comics +7.89% 1

13 Fantastic Four (1961) No.52 (7.5) 1966 Marvel Comics +7.68% 3 (0)

14 Marvel Super-Heroes (1967-1982) No.12 (8.0) 1967 Marvel Comics +7.41% 1

15 Fantastic Four (1961) No.48 (8.0) 1966 Marvel Comics +6.94% 1 (0)

16 Marvel Super-Heroes (1967-1982) No.12 (8.5) 1967 Marvel Comics +6.66% 2

17 Fantastic Four (1961) No.52 (5.5) 1966 Marvel Comics +6.52% 1 (2)

18 Fantastic Four (1961) No.45 (5.0) 1965 Marvel Comics +6.39% 1 (3)

19 Fantastic Four (1961) No.52 (6.0) 1966 Marvel Comics +6.29% 1 (3)

20 Avengers, The (1963) No.57 (7.0) 1968 Marvel Comics +6.14% 2 (5)

The data here is insufficient to create a top 10 "hot" SA books list, but one pattern that emerges from this chart is that FF 45 and FF 46 in mid to high grade are among the hottest SA books in 2015.

AF 15 (creeps up yearly)

FF 1 (lagging)

DD 1 (undervalued)

BB 28 (peaked)

JIM 83 (inching up)

Hulk 1 (overpriced)

X-Men 1 (stagnant)

SC 22 (undervalued)

GL 1 (undervalued)

ST 110 (overpriced)

Not on the list:

Good post. Agree with the vast majority and I like the parenthetical analyses. Some comments:

* Avengers 4 in 6.0 just hit an all-time high, although other grades have seen prices fall a little bit, so it depends on the grade maybe.

I'd put Flash 123, and 110, above Flash 139.

The book has continued to do well in the 4.0 - 6.0ish range, actually.

Price spreads are narrowing on books with a large census population.

There was a bit of discussion on this in another thread recently, but this is happening all over the place on Silver and Bronze books. You have to look beyond the top now to gauge a book's market health.

edit -- I mean, for example, if we confine ourselves to 9.0/9.2 and above, there's lots of highly-regarded Marvels that have done poorly over the past 5 years.

There was a bit of discussion on this in another thread recently, but this is happening all over the place on Silver and Bronze books. You have to look beyond the top now to gauge a book's market health.

edit -- I mean, for example, if we confine ourselves to 9.0/9.2 and above, there's lots of highly-regarded Marvels that have done poorly over the past 5 years.

Interesting.

AF 15 (creeps up yearly)

FF 1 (lagging)

DD 1 (undervalued)

BB 28 (peaked)

JIM 83 (inching up)

Hulk 1 (overpriced)

X-Men 1 (stagnant)

SC 22 (undervalued)

GL 1 (undervalued)

ST 110 (overpriced)

Not on the list:

I'd put Flash 123, and 110, above Flash 139.

I forgot about Flash 123. That's a big key book. In higher grades the price has been slipping a little. I missed a 110 and then came across another with a grease pen mark on its cover. There is a 139 coming up on HA that I think is going to be way overpriced because of the TV series.

Interesting.

Just for fun, grabbing a list at random from the thread:

1). AF 15

Flatline to down in high grade over the past 5 years -- and if you look back 10 years, well off historic highs in high grade. Doing great in mid/lower grade.

2) F.F. 1

Relatively flatline across the board. Some bright spots among the lower grades.

3) Incredible Hulk 1

Rock and roll in all grades.

4) Showcase 4

For a book that had a bad rep until very recently, very solid performance across the board. Going crazy in mid/low grade. Anybody who called this 2-3 years ago nailed it -- arguably deserves the #1 or #2 spot if we're charting on performance, because it hasn't been hammered in high grade like most Marvels have been.

Ok, this is getting boring. You see the pattern, and if you look at the numbers carefully, you'll see a couple good reasons behind it. Let's skip to:

9) Showcase 22

Flatline to down post-movie, though more solid in lower grades. But.

This is a good case study in movie hype. Though it hasn't performed well since the movie, you'd still be VERY happy if you got in before the hype. It's still a 3x to 5x book vs the pre-movie price.

I think the better question would be what are the top 10 non-traditional key speculated comics for 2015? Leave out the big Marvel keys that are always in demand.

I agree with a lot of Passion4comics' notable mentions list.

I think the better question would be what are the top 10 non-traditional key speculated comics for 2015? Leave out the big Marvel keys that are always in demand.

I agree with a lot of Passion4comics' notable mentions list.

For 2015, certainly FF45 and FF46 as the GPA data shows. Probably add:

Action 252

SC 30

SC 34

The early Flash semi-keys -- 105, 110, 123 and 139.

DD1

Tec 359

2 to 3 years ago, many on these Boards were saying early DC SA was undervalued, as well as DD1. I think the market noticed.

So what are the undervalued SA books to keep an eye on the next 2 years or so??

I will kick it off with JIM 103.

I was looking more to a top 10 without speculator interests and how the current craze of cinematic noterity have changed the top 10 SA books in terms of value and importance. But I like the discussion I've started keep at it.

I was looking more to a top 10 without speculator interests and how the current craze of cinematic noterity have changed the top 10 SA books in terms of value and importance. But I like the discussion I've started keep at it.

For a recent poll in this forum on top 10 SA books to date (just a couple of months old), go here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8370573#Post8370573

I like how the discussion has morphed to top 10 "hot" SA books.

Pretty much anything and everything tagged as "key" has seen something of a run up. Action 242, Superboy 68, Lois 70, Batman 171 and 181. On the marvel side, FF48, the HIM books, JIM 84 and 85. You name it, it's trending up to some degree.

I think Flash 106 is a book to watch. First Gorilla Grodd and Pied Piper.

Flash 106 has ALWAYS been difficult. I expect that it will be much moreso with the TV show. Census numbers bear this out. 6 copies above 8.5. 1 9.2, and none higher.