• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

@Ryan: Well, since you’ve been the first to ask, if Steve doesn’t mind, I can give one to you, or he may pass one up to you. They are a gift, so I guess he won’t mind so much. :foryou:

I must stress they are really ugly, 'though. I have never seen poorer italian publications. I just treasured them for a minute for their historical value (and rarity) but unless they are the Batmans and Green Lanterns they also have little monetary value. I will post an inside later on.

PM sent, thanks Vaillant!

As promised here’s the first two pages of issue 7, supposedly the Masked Marvel story from Keen Detective Funnies V2 #7. Badly redrawn, but it would be interesting to see if it corresponds.

BTW, the Masked Marvel was translated as "L’Uomo d’Acciaio" (Man of Steel), which would become the name commonly associated with Superman.

1945_No_007_p02-03_960px.jpg

It also seems Photobucket has messed up my previous images of the covers as I moved them to another folder. I will re-upload them in my original post as soon as I can. :)

Thanks Ryan,

I decided and went on to scan all of them in full before sending them to Steve.

I already prepare the package. Tomorrow, or at worst next Monday I’ll post it.

Yes, the art isn’t often stellar already in the original editions, go figure having it traced by an unknown draftsman. In 1945 the quality of the art was already improving at lightspeed in Italy, so these look pretty poor by any standard.

If you’d like I can post the full story of issue 7. Hopefully someone has the Keen Detective Funnies V2 #7 to check… :)

Slef-limited OT:

An example: "Virus, il mago della Foresta Morta" (Virus, sorcerer of the Dead Forest), one of the few italian comics of fantastic/fantascientific/horrorific theme from the 1930s, published for the first time in 1939 on the italian main Disney tabloid-sized magazine devoted to Mickey Mouse (which hosted realistic stories as well).

By one of the masters, Walter Molino.

Virus.New.1.jpg

And the first edition in "comic book" form, from 1946 (my own copy):

x1c107.jpg

Slef-limited OT:

An example: "Virus, il mago della Foresta Morta" (Virus, sorcerer of the Dead Forest), one of the few italian comics of fantastic/fantascientific/horrorific theme from the 1930s, published for the first time in 1939 on the italian main Disney tabloid-sized magazine devoted to Mickey Mouse (which hosted realistic stories as well).

Virus.New.1.jpg

And the first edition in "comic book" form, from 1946 (my own copy):

x1c107.jpg

Great stuff.

Slef-limited OT:

That is great, thanks for posting it!