• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

08-28-2012022205PM.jpg

Now we know who the ebay culprit is!

You like THIS cover and yet not Funny Pages 2/12? ???doh!

Well I did not have to pay/trade 7500.00 for this copy, compared to your Church

Mr Smarty Smart :makepoint:

I do see your point - it's cheaper in the long run to date Rosanne Barr than Jessica Alba.

Edited by sacentaur

08-28-2012022205PM.jpg

Now we know who the ebay culprit is!

You like THIS cover and yet not Funny Pages 2/12? ???doh!

Well I did not have to pay/trade 7500.00 for this copy, compared to your Church

Mr Smarty Smart :makepoint:

I do see your point - it's cheaper in the long run to date Rosanne Barr than Jessica Alba.

S, there's a time to load up with as many Centaurs as you can, and a time to upgrade them, (thumbs u

Time to restart the engine

Holy Moley, BB! Restarting it with nitrous! :headbang:

Ditto. Congratulations on finding such a nice herd of Centaurs! :applause:

:bump:

The toughest issues of KDF are, in approximate order:

v1#10 (the toughest)

v1#9 (brutal as well)

-gap-

v2#1

v1#11

v1#8

v2#4

v2#7

-gap-

v2#8

v2#2

v2#6

There are 6 others that are tricky to varying degrees, depending on your luck at the time

-gap-

v2#9 (these are the only two that I would consider easy)

:bump:

Here's my Funny Pages "Windex" ranking for scarcity (higher is tougher):

v1#6:....24

v1#7:....22

v1#8:....22

v1#9:....22

v1#10:..19

v1#11:..19

v2#1:....15

v2#2:....19

v2#3:....19

v2#4:....15

v2#5:....17

v2#6:....15

v2#7:....18

v2#8:....16

v2#9:....18

v2#10:..25

v2#11:..16

v2#12:..24

v3#1:....20

v3#2:....20

v3#3:....27

v3#4:....27

v3#5:....27

v3#6:....24

v3#7:....23

v3#8:....18

v3#9:....23

v3#10:..26

v4#1:....18

35:........19

36:........21

37:........21

38:........23

39:........24

40:........26

41:........24

42:........25

Keep in mind that with books this scarce, it's much tougher to assemble an accurate gauge of scarcity, but I think this is at least directionally correct. Also keep in mind that the single toughest issue of Sub-Mariner scored a 21, which gives you an idea of how tricky even a basic issue of Funny Pages can be.

For perspective, other books scoring a 27 on my system include All-American #3, #7, and #10, Amazing-Man #26, Amazing Mystery Funnies #23, and Fantastic Comics #19.

For more perspective, I consider ratings of 12-14 as pretty tough, and 15-18 as challenging. Books scoring a 15 on my system include Action #1 and Detective #27. All-American #16 is a 16, and Adventure #40 is a 17. Detective Comics #1 is a 19, while Action #7 is a 20. The infamous Fantastic Comics #3 is a 24.

Batman #1 is a 9, and All-Flash #1 is an 8.

:bump: (Sorry if I bumped this twice)

That's a critical Centaur, v2#10, with the first appearance of The Arrow hidden in those pages. I liken it to Feature Comics #27, first Doll Man, which also has a nondescript funny cover, also has very few sales data points, and also sells for many multiples of guide when it comes available.

Here's my Funny Pages "Windex" ranking for scarcity (higher is tougher):

v2#8:....16

v2#9:....18

v2#10:..25

v2#11:..16

Scrooge;

That's great that you can pull out all of these Windex Scacrity indicies from years gone by! Especially for some on those board members who weren't around when they first came out. (thumbs u

I remember the Detective and Centaur Windexs, but had completely forgotten the ones on Action, Subby, and Suspense. BTW: Did Win ever get around to posting one for Funny Picture Stories of some of the Star titles? ???

Wonder if some of these specific ratings for some of the scarcer books would change based upon the many auctions which we have had in the past few years. hm

For those other titles, they might have been posted and I didn't catch them this a.m. Win could certainly tell us if he created one. The main trick to remember in these searches is that before it was coined Windex, the key search word ought to be "scarcity" since they started as scarcity index in Win's words.

Also, it should be Windices in plural form. I believe that Windexes only would work if each was an index (à la at the end of a book).

I post the covers to these few "books" I am sending to sacentaur (thanks for your patience, Steve!). They are italian editions of Centaur books, undated but almost surely from 1945.

They are almost surely unauthorized, extremely poor italian post-war publications, with redrawn (traced) artwork, and they are part of a series where the Blue Beetle, Batman and Green Lantern were featured for the first time in Italy (and no, I don’t have any of these issues and neither I have ever seen them).

Each book features 8 pages of the main characters of the original antologic titles, which in these cases is either the Masked Marvel or the Fantom of the Fair.

I have been unaware such things existed until not so much time ago, what makes them unique is that they are very likely the very first publication in Italy of comic book material (previous Superman stuff published since 1939 were newspaper strips), and the fact that they came out very likely slightly after the end of the war, when ravaged Italy was still economically off-balance (in the first issue, No. 6, you can read a price difference for "Italia centro meridionale", reflecting the effects of the division created after the downfall of fascism). I decided they made little sense in my hands, so I’m glad to send them to someone with the know-how to appreciate them.

The only one I have been able to identify is No. 7, which judging from the cover, seems to be Keen Detective Funnies V2 #7, but the other eludes me since the covers have redone artwork.

Sorry if I made mistakes, I am totally ignorant on Centaur titles, and these italian publications are among the "obscura of the obscura"… :)

And… yes, I know: they are ugly, I guess they represent Italy at its poorest… lol

BTW, size is not comic book average size, but rather digest size.

1945_No_006_640px.jpg

1945_No_007_640px.jpg58130.jpg

1945_No_008_640px.jpg

1945_No_015_640px.jpg

Edited by vaillant

:cool: Thank you for posting them before sending them to Steve :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to receiving them - thnx valiant! :golfclap:

I hope and pray that you'll generously post some interiors from those Italian Centaurs, Steve! I have a real obsession with early GA foreign comics. :wishluck:

@Ryan: Well, since you’ve been the first to ask, if Steve doesn’t mind, I can give one to you, or he may pass one up to you. They are a gift, so I guess he won’t mind so much. :foryou:

I must stress they are really ugly, 'though. I have never seen poorer italian publications. I just treasured them for a minute for their historical value (and rarity) but unless they are the Batmans and Green Lanterns they also have little monetary value. I will post an inside later on.

Slightly OT, but I’ve found an image of the impossible-to-find issues of this publication featuring the DC characters, so i wished to show it:

Batman-Ala-dAcciaio.jpg

The Red Batman is nothing special (Superman in Italy was red all the way in 1947) but Green Lantern looks like Daimon Hellstrom.