• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Thanks buttock - you're post lead me to a wikipedia article about Centaur that stated some of the characters were updated for The Protectors by Malibu, along with some other characters. Apparently they were all killed off when Marvel bought Malibu. It looks like they were in public doman at the time - I know little about copyright or trademark law, but I'm guessing the names and original characters could be used by anyone, just not Malibu's interpretation.

A quick perusal of the cover matrix at GCD (comics.org), reveals that the Malibu characters are barely recognizable as modern counterparts to the GA heroes.

The Protectors from Malibu are clearly a attempt to continue the Centaur Line with the continuity (I have all the run) but with some adaptation due to legal issues.

For example The Clock does no appear at the begining in the Protectors Line. But the President of the USA is Brian O'Brien and we discover later that he is The Clock (but now old).

Malibu does not use the character (except in two panels) because DC is the legal owner at this time (buy with the Quality characters).

The name of Masked Marvel does not appear in the Protectors Line but the Character exist. His name is Night Mask. As Brian O'Brien he is old but his son take over the alias. We saw also the great-daughter of one of the G-Men (Zl, Zx, Zy) which became Night Mask II (III in fact) after the death of the son of the original Night Mask.

In fact, Malibu fear that Marvel sue about the name of Masked Marvel.

For the same reason, Fantom of the Fair does not appear with is own name. In fact, Roy Thomas (old fan of GA comics) use a character with a similar name (Phantom of the Fair) and same outfits as the original in the issue #7 of Secret Origin for the retold of the origin of Sandman. And the character come back after in the new series of Sandman (in Vertigo Label).

So, the original Centaur Fantom of the Fair appear in the Protectors Line as Gravestone (with a very updated background).

One of the other copyright issue was consider as harmless by Malibu. Roy Thomas, again, use the name of Amazing Man for an All-Star Squadron character (a man with mymicry power and after magnetic power).

But as the two characters are far away from each other and amazing Man is the well know character of Centaur Malibu risk to use the name (with it seems no problems).

Otherwise, the Characters are very similars. Except The Eye, Gravestone, The Shark (with a new name Thresher) and The Ferret (now a Wolverine's like).

Most of the Centaur line were revival (including Great Question as the only vilain from Centaur) plus Miss Fury, a GA character but not from Centaur (already revival by Malibu before the start of the Protectors Line).

The Protectors Line was supposed to be only 6 issues mini-series. But at last there was 20 issues plus many spin-off and merge with others Malibu title (X-Mutants, Dinosaurs for Hire) and not all with good results.

At the End The Protectors # 20 all the universe is blasted.

Thanks for the information!

Thanks buttock - you're post lead me to a wikipedia article about Centaur that stated some of the characters were updated for The Protectors by Malibu, along with some other characters. Apparently they were all killed off when Marvel bought Malibu. It looks like they were in public doman at the time - I know little about copyright or trademark law, but I'm guessing the names and original characters could be used by anyone, just not Malibu's interpretation.

A quick perusal of the cover matrix at GCD (comics.org), reveals that the Malibu characters are barely recognizable as modern counterparts to the GA heroes.

The Protectors from Malibu are clearly a attempt to continue the Centaur Line with the continuity (I have all the run) but with some adaptation due to legal issues.

For example The Clock does no appear at the begining in the Protectors Line. But the President of the USA is Brian O'Brien and we discover later that he is The Clock (but now old).

Malibu does not use the character (except in two panels) because DC is the legal owner at this time (buy with the Quality characters).

The name of Masked Marvel does not appear in the Protectors Line but the Character exist. His name is Night Mask. As Brian O'Brien he is old but his son take over the alias. We saw also the great-daughter of one of the G-Men (Zl, Zx, Zy) which became Night Mask II (III in fact) after the death of the son of the original Night Mask.

For the same reason, Fantom of the Fair does not appear with is own name. In fact, Roy Thomas (old fan of GA comics) use a character with a similar name (Phantom of the Fair) and same outfits as the original in the issue #7 of Secret Origin for the retold of the origin of Sandman. And the character come back after in the new series of Sandman (in Vertigo Label).

So, the original Centaur Fantom of the Fair appear in the Protectors Line as Gravestone (with a very updated background).

One of the other copyright issue was consider as harmless by Malibu. Roy Thomas, again, use the name of Amazing Man for an All-Star Squadron character (a man with mymicry power and after magnetic power).

But as the two characters are far away from each other and amazing Man is the well know character of Centaur Malibu risk to use the name (with it seems no problems).

Otherwise, the Characters are very similars. Except The Eye, Gravestone, The Shark (with a new name Thresher) and The Ferret (now a Wolverine's like).

Most of the Centaur line were revival (including Great Question as the only vilain from Centaur) plus Miss Fury, a GA character but not from Centaur (already revival by Malibu before the start of the Protectors Line).

The Protectors Line was supposed to be only 6 issues mini-series. But at last there was 20 issues plus many spin-off and merge with others Malibu title (X-Mutants, Dinosaurs for Hire) and not all with good results.

At the risk of getting booted off the GA Boards for irresponsible behavior- or showing you'all how much of a geek I really am...here are some of the Malibu titles....(and yes the Ferret WAS a Centaur character for about six minutes....) Jon

1552296-protectarrow.jpg1552296-protectmanofwar.jpg1552296-protectairman.jpg1552296-protectferret.jpg

1552296-protectferret.jpg.7e2ae89dc1335104e3f5f75f941fd729.jpg

At the risk of getting booted off the GA Boards for irresponsible behavior- of showing you'all how much of a geek I really am...here are some of the Malibu titles....(and yes the Ferret WAS a Centaur character for about six minutes....) Jon

1552296-protectarrow.jpg

Finally! A JB book of which I'm not insanely jealous. 893applaud-thumb.gif

FPS 4 Church copy about F+ white pages....

1552259-fps4.jpg

FPS 5 Church copy ....nice VF/NM

1552259-fps5.jpg

Gosh Jon! Those are amazing!!

So, if one were to try to acquire the first Church book of the collection. Where would one start the search? In your opinion, based on the dates of the collection, what would be the most likely candidates?

A bit late for Christmas, but my AMAN #5 finally arrived today!! That completes my Everett AMAN mini run ... #5 to 11. Its the only way I'll ever get to read the complete Everett AMAN saga! I read the first story, and I'm going to read the other six stories this afternoon... I love holidays.

This copy is pretty rough (1.8), but the page quality is surprisingly nice.

cloud9.gif X 7

1554216-AMAN5post.jpg

1554216-AMAN5post.jpg.9c2f3d888a989128665a5be19b90cfb1.jpg

Edited by RyanH

A bit late for Christmas, but my AMAN #5 finally arrived today!! That completes my Everett AMAN mini run ... #5 to 11. Its the only way I'll ever get to read the complete Everett AMAN saga! I read the first story, and I'm going to read the other six stories this afternoon... I love holidays.

cloud9.gif X 7

1554216-AMAN5post.jpg

Well done! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

cloud9.gif X 7

1554216-AMAN5post.jpg

Congratulations! You've been picking up some very nice and very hard to find books this year! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I'll try this group shot again... here are the six Everett issues, plus a KDF that came last week. Plus an awesome 100 year old tin toy lithographed duck that my girlfriend got me for Christmas!

1554256-AMANduckgrouppost.jpg

1554256-AMANduckgrouppost.jpg.28f0afa2e090e0683b4d1a5abbabc99e.jpg

Edited by RyanH

cloud9.gif X 7

1554216-AMAN5post.jpg

I know I have a "Wilbert" book, I can't just remember which one it is. I'll try to find it one of these days.

I'll try this group shot again... here are the six Everett issues, plus a KDF that came last week. Plus an awesome 100 year old tin toy lithographed duck that my girlfriend got me for Christmas!

Fabulous Ryan! Just fabulous! 893applaud-thumb.gif

This photograph should be in some museum with a somber title card "Eight Centaur Comics and a Duck."

The DUCK is very cool. Who is the manufacturer? It sort of resembles the Buffalo Toys Mother Duck, shape- and size-wise. I wonder if they made a Father Duck?

Do you collect toys?

I have no idea what the story is on the duck, but I'm going to contact the dealer this week and find out (the duck needs a spring repaired, so I'll take it into the "shop").

This is my first large/pricier toy ... I don't want to start in on toys quite yet, as there are still so many GA books I want! Must... focus....

This photograph should be in some museum with a somber title card "Eight Centaur Comics and a Duck."

27_laughing.gif

A bit late for Christmas, but my AMAN #5 finally arrived today!! That completes my Everett AMAN mini run ... #5 to 11.

All I can say Ryan is that is quite an accomplishment (something I have never been able to do)! Your diligence and dedication in putting that set together really paid off. Congrat's.. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

STEVE

cloud9.gif X 7

1554216-AMAN5post.jpg

hello all...

what I find to be the best part of this post is the "I read the first story, and I'm going to read...."....brings collecting back home, to me!

rick

That is a hugely impressive feat, Ryan. Well done!! I myself don't have the full run of Everett A-Man issues. I'm missing #9, as well as #22 and #26 in the complete run of Amazing-Man, although I've seen and passed on a couple of #9's based on price, so that's not one I'm worried about. #26 is one I'm worried about.

And that #5 is outstanding! That book is notorious for being in bad unrestored shape, and the yellow always seems to attract significant dirt, but yours looks very bright!

Excellent, excellent job!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif