• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Fantastic Jon! Do you have the complete Centaur line?

He does, yes. As far as I know, he's the only one who does. It's a brutal feat to have accomplished.

I've got around 240 of the ~290 Centaur books, and I'm not too worried about finding 30 or so that I'm missing, but there are 10-15 Centaurs that are simply impossible to find, even if money were no object. I'm expecting a long, long effort to finish off the publisher.

He does, yes. As far as I know, he's the only one who does. It's a brutal feat to have accomplished.

This is my understanding as well.

I'm not just flattering Jon when I say that having the complete Centaur line is one of the most amazing accomplishments I have ever heard of in this hobby.

I had thoughts of trying to go for it at one time, but thought better of it and moved quite a few of my books to other collectors. I'm down to about 50 Centaurs at the moment.

CM, I admire your being indefatigable in the pursuit...I will try to help out one day if I can.

STEVE

I've got around 240 of the ~290 Centaur books, and I'm not too worried about finding 30 or so that I'm missing, but there are 10-15 Centaurs that are simply impossible to find, even if money were no object. I'm expecting a long, long effort to finish off the publisher.

I do have the complete set. As CM knows that would include the pre-Centaurs (before March 1938) including Chesler published titles Star, Star Ranger that went got eaten by Centaur and the "_______ Picture Stories" comics.

I too believe they are scarce

Quick Story

In my younger collecting years, whenever I would visit a relative, I would inquire about the local comic store and go down there and ask my usual stupid question: "Do you have any GA, particularly Centaurs". After quizackle looks...I would always leave empty handed.

One Thanksgiving Friday in the early 80s I walked into a comic store while in New York and asked "Do you have any Centaurs?"

Response: "Which ones do you need?"

Huh!!!???? "Which ones do I need?"!!!!

He had FIFTY OF THEM. Asked him to hold them....went home to Conn., drove back to NY the next week and bought all 50 for about $1,000. Variable condition, but "beggars can't be choosers". Luck, Luck, Luck (and some cash). Jon

Jon, what a great story . Thanks for sharing. 893applaud-thumb.gif This is the kind'a of stuff I love to read on these boards. Centaur, what a great Publisher to collect. I have around 30 issues , I see,I have many more to collect . Great art & stories & scarce as hell as you & Win say. Finding them & collecting them is like finding Beautiful gems . & don't get me started on Fox comics. smile.gif

Here's a seldom seen Centaur (aren't they all?) - this is the Cosmic Aeroplane copy:

100_1547.jpg

As is typical of the late run books, this has an original story (wonderfully rendered by Jack Alderman) as its lead, followed by reprints (in this case, Ben Thompson Masked Marvel stories from Keen Detective Funnies) - also contains work by Tarpe Mills and Paul Gustavson.

Anyway, here's Alderman for ya...

100_1548.jpg

STEVE

Here's a seldom seen Centaur (aren't they all?) - this is the Cosmic Aeroplane copy:

100_1547.jpg

As is typical of the late run books, this has an original story (wonderfully rendered by Jack Alderman) as its lead, followed by reprints (in this case, Ben Thompson Masked Marvel stories from Keen Detective Funnies) - also contains work by Tarpe Mills and Paul Gustavson.

Anyway, here's Alderman for ya...

100_1548.jpg

STEVE

Gosh Steve!! You never cease to amaze me. I know it is futile but..... takeit.gif

I'm really growing to love Cosmic Aeroplane books.

Moving on, here's Comics Magazine #1. This one's not impossible to find, but it sure is tough in any sort of grade due to the paper covers. Significant because Dr. Occult's storyline from More Fun pops in here for 1 issue as Dr. Mystic, the Occult Detective, before moving back over to DC.

comicsmag1.jpg

Moving on, here's Comics Magazine #1. This one's not impossible to find, but it sure is tough in any sort of grade due to the paper covers. Significant because Dr. Occult's storyline from More Fun pops in here for 1 issue as Dr. Mystic, the Occult Detective, before moving back over to DC.

comicsmag1.jpg

Very cool book! It may not be impossible, but it is pretty hard to find.

Wow, I've never seen that one. 1940 was my favorite year for GA comics, the creative process along with the business angle seemed to be at their peak. Most of my favorite books are from that year. 1941 is my second favorite, of course.

Great to see that cover up close, CM!! Nice one. I have always thought that cover was stronger than the #1 issue (and as you mentioned, harder to find). The cover elludes to some sort of battle on the inside... is this the case?

I'll agree with BlackHand, that 1940 was a great year for comics... things were still fresh, kid sidekicks were not the norm yet, art was crude and exciting, pulps were still a big influence, just an amazing time in general (great time for film as well). Most of my collecting is focused around 1939 and 1940 ... the scarcity of the books from that time period makes it all the more rewarding when you land a "big fish"!

comicsmag1.jpg

Here is my copy. It is a beautiful copy. This is where my age comes in and you guys are gonna puke. Bought it over 20 years ago....The seller (Carl Gottschalk) insisted on double guide. So I paid him the $400....and was a happy camper....jon

Also critical because Dr. Mystic gets a cape, flys around a bit....and geez seems to have this insignia on his chest......hmmmmm.....

1587461-commag1.jpg

1587461-commag1.jpg.df944afe478f48978a029c1af946639a.jpg

comicsmag1.jpg

Here is my copy. It is a beautiful copy. This is where my age comes in and you guys are gonna puke. Bought it over 20 years ago....The seller (Carl Gottschalk) insisted on double guide. So I paid him the $400....and was a happy camper....jon

Also critical because Dr. Mystic gets a cape, flys around a bit....and geez seems to have this insignia on his chest......hmmmmm.....

1587461-commag1.jpg

where is the fainting icon when you need it? This will have to do... 893whatthe.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Holy *spoon*ing mother of *spoon*ing *spoon*!

$400??!?? My god.....

I mean seriously, how the Sam Hill am I supposed to assemble a full run of Centaurs in today's market???

I need to take a walk.....

Only the toughest can be Centaur completists! sumo.gif