• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Very nice, Ryan thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifhail.gif

KDF 23 is kinda hard to find (I'm looking forward to CentaurMan's scarcity index on KDF - get with it man!); my copy is restored.

I have a lead on a KDF 24, but it may be a while before I can obtain it.

Anyway, you are THE Frank Thomas Fanatic...

STEVE

Actually, that's part of the fun of collecting Centaurs. Market value of that book, loosely defined, is such that I'm guessing the BIN may not get popped. If you're patient you can pick up quite a few of these books for under $200 in VG condition.

This one is one of the more common KDF's (although it's certainly scarce overall, scoring a 17 on my scale), but the cover is excellent in a quirky way, and I don't think someone would go wrong picking up the book for this price. If this book were on the cover of Gerber instead of the #20, I bet those two would sell for much closer to the same price.

We comic collectors are such a demented bunch that if the torturer had already burnt an x into the guys back, it would sell for more than #20. insane.gif

The toughest long Centaur runs in my mind, however, are the nondescript Star Comics and Star Ranger Comics. I only have 19 of the 35 combined issues, and I look for these things everywhere with no success.

The toughest short Centaur runs are Keen Komics, Comic Pages, Cowboy Comics, Little Giant Comics, and Little Giant Detective Funnies. All killers.

Cowboy Comics.....larson copies.....

1600508-cowboy1a.jpg1600508-cowboycomics1b.jpg

1600508-cowboycomics1b.jpg.cd0a2b131a05dd2c0d3fbe9aca7941c9.jpg

Fantastic!! Here's my recently-acquired Cowboy Comics, from Dave Anderson, DDS. I was thrilled to get it, given how brutal it is to find. I've never seen the 2nd issue before, at least not until you just posted it.

My question: Why are these the only two Centaurs (to my knowledge) with the Centaur "crest" in the upper left corner?

cowboycomics13.jpg

Actually, that's part of the fun of collecting Centaurs. Market value of that book, loosely defined, is such that I'm guessing the BIN may not get popped. If you're patient you can pick up quite a few of these books for under $200 in VG condition.

This one is one of the more common KDF's (although it's certainly scarce overall, scoring a 17 on my scale), but the cover is excellent in a quirky way, and I don't think someone would go wrong picking up the book for this price. If this book were on the cover of Gerber instead of the #20, I bet those two would sell for much closer to the same price.

We comic collectors are such a demented bunch that if the torturer had already burnt an x into the guys back, it would sell for more than #20. insane.gif

And if it was a little boy with a magic decapitating whip it would be more than Action 1. insane.gif

The toughest long Centaur runs in my mind, however, are the nondescript Star Comics and Star Ranger Comics. I only have 19 of the 35 combined issues, and I look for these things everywhere with no success.

The toughest short Centaur runs are Keen Komics, Comic Pages, Cowboy Comics, Little Giant Comics, and Little Giant Detective Funnies. All killers.

Cowboy Comics.....larson copies.....

1600508-cowboy1a.jpg1600508-cowboycomics1b.jpg

Astonishing! I've never seen either one.

CM;

With respect to the three issues of Comic Pages, are they all equally tough to find or is the first one much tougher to find relative to the other two issues?

Thanks and keep on throwing the stats to us! thumbsup2.gif

CM;

With respect to the three issues of Comic Pages, are they all equally tough to find or is the first one much tougher to find relative to the other two issues?

I haven't run the numbers yet, but based on my own searching, I'd say the 1st and 3rd issues are clearly the toughest. The middle one is a little tougher than standard Centaur tough, but doable. I'll be curious to see if the numbers bear that out.

KDF 23 is kinda hard to find (I'm looking forward to CentaurMan's scarcity index on KDF - get with it man!); my copy is restored.

KDF is all done, but I wasn't sure if the numbers were relevant to anyone but myself and possibly Lou Fine. It's a pretty esoteric series. If people are interested I'll put a bunch of additional scarcity rankings together for posting later.

KDF is all done, but I wasn't sure if the numbers were relevant to anyone but myself and possibly Lou Fine. It's a pretty esoteric series. If people are interested I'll put a bunch of additional scarcity rankings together for posting later.

popcorn.gif

CM;

I haven't run the numbers yet, but based on my own searching, I'd say the 1st and 3rd issues are clearly the toughest. The middle one is a little tougher than standard Centaur tough, but doable. I'll be curious to see if the numbers bear that out.

Thanks Win;

I am interested in this small run since I believe that I may have a copy of the third and final issue. I should probably go back into my closet and see if I can find it. I certainly recognize the cover and believe that I may have picked it up from Harley back in the late 80's or early 90's.

Personally, the cover for the third issue is nowhere near to being as nice as the cover to the first issue. In addition, it can't be that tough if I possibly have a copy in my collection. Anybody want to trade here if I can find my copy of the third issue. tongue.gif

Edited by lou_fine

Uhhhh.. HELLO! hi.gif

Uhhhh.. HELLO! hi.gif

I have found the scarcity rankings you have made so far darn informative and entertaining... keep em coming flowerred.gif

All right, I guess that's enough positive reinforcement. Here they are, scarcity ratings for Keen Detective Funnies. As usual, the score is from 0-30, with higher being scarcer. One day I'll put all my ratings together in one big thread, so you'll more easily be able to jump from title to title in order to better compare scarcity across different books, which will improve perspective quite a bit. I also think it would be cool and helpful if each book I list was a hyperlink to its cover image at the Grand Comics Database, so that you could click through and quickly see which book I'm specifically referring to, but that's too much grunt work for me.

v1#8......23

v1#9......27

v1#10....27

v1#11....26

v2#1......21

v2#2......19

v2#3......19

v2#4......26

v2#5......18

v2#6......21

v2#7......26

v2#8......23

v2#9......9

v2#10....16

v2#11....15

v2#12....18

v3#1......17

I'm still not satisfied with my precision on scarcity ratings above 20. Below 20 I'm pretty confident, as there's generally good transaction data on those books. But above 20 the sample sizes are incredibly small. I'm still refining my technique and hopefully will add another data source soon that will help me out. When and if I get more comfortable with those super-scarce books, I'll reprint the new numbers.

I can say with confidence, however, that the toughest two issues in the run are the 2nd and 3rd issues. Those are absolute killers to find, just brutal.