• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Interesting to note that Centaur artist (e.g., Circus and Sue) Claire Moe is not responsible for the cover of Marvel Mystery 2, as previously thought (see Gerber).

Moe's middle initial is 'S', but the MM2 cover artist CJM is actually Charles J. Mazoujian, who was a relative of Art Pinajian (another Centaur artist). I had never heard of him before.

Also noticed that "George and Martin Filchock" worked on stories, or just George credited by himself. I know Jon Berk had prior contact with Martin Filchock, so maybe he can shed some light... :wishluck:

Very interesting detective work Steve. This is an artist that I've never heard of before. Seems Centaur had a mix old and young artists. Some never made it out of the 30s into the Golden Age, while others (Cole, Everett, Burgos, etc) made a huge impact! Hopefully we'll learn more about CJM.

As an additional note, Mazoujian (as "CJM") also did the cover for Target 2.

I think you meant Target #3 (I had to look it up on GCD). Everett did the first two covers.

As an additional note, Mazoujian (as "CJM") also did the cover for Target 2.

I think you meant Target #3 (I had to look it up on GCD). Everett did the first two covers.

Right (typo) - thnx for the correction. (thumbs u

Very interesting detective work Steve. This is an artist that I've never heard of before.

Which one? Mazoujian was interviewed in Alter Ego and so was Filchock and there was an article on Pinajian as well after his death, a downer in a way in fact on how his later days were spent artistically. I assume(d) you're a faithful reader on the mag ... can't say enough about the wealth of information unearthed / shared in the mag. The recent article about Stan Lee's writing for Timely / Atlas before the revival of super-heroes was great reading as was the interview with Leon Lazarus who scripted tons of GA stories (thumbs u

Very interesting detective work Steve. This is an artist that I've never heard of before.

Which one? Mazoujian was interviewed in Alter Ego and so was Filchock and there was an article on Pinajian as well after his death, a downer in a way in fact on how his later days were spent artistically. I assume(d) you're a faithful reader on the mag ... can't say enough about the wealth of information unearthed / shared in the mag. The recent article about Stan Lee's writing for Timely / Atlas before the revival of super-heroes was great reading as was the interview with Leon Lazarus who scripted tons of GA stories (thumbs u

I was referring to Mazoulian.

I am a faithful buyer of Alter Ego, but woefully behind in reading! I saw the Centaur articles, but have yet to get to the first one. AE is great - introducing me to comics people I've never heard of or adding info about people I knew by name, but nothing else.

I think I'll just skip ahead, and read the Centaur articles! :shy:

Mazoujian was interviewed in Alter Ego and so was Filchock and there was an article on Pinajian as well after his death, a downer in a way in fact on how his later days were spent artistically.

Which issue had the Pinajian article?

Mazoujian was interviewed in Alter Ego and so was Filchock and there was an article on Pinajian as well after his death, a downer in a way in fact on how his later days were spent artistically.

Which issue had the Pinajian article?

Not quite an article in truth but some info from Mazoujian about his relative and then we talked about Pinajian when his death was reported in the NY Times.

Here's the relevant thread - Art Pinajian (thumbs u

To tell the truth, there wasn't much to the Mazoujian interview. Just a few pages. I didn't realize / remember that he was the (first?) artist on Lady Luck. Here's the passage about his time at the Eisner / Iger studio and the second Lady Luck story -

92366.jpg.794806d91928abbb09e85cb73f123909.jpg

92367.jpg.6f7877ffc1865d4ffe805e5d4810ac6e.jpg

I have not read any Alter Ego; sounds like I have a lot of catching up to do...

As Scrooge said, Alter Ego is worth picking up. Issues cover a broad range of topics, but's always something about the GA or AA.

Though, I still miss the old Comic Book Marketplace (original run), which was just by/for comic geeks! :cloud9: I believe you had a great Centaur article in an early issue (#4). :headbang:

I have not read any Alter Ego; sounds like I have a lot of catching up to do...

As Scrooge said, Alter Ego is worth picking up. Issues cover a broad range of topics, but's always something about the GA or AA.

Though, I still miss the old Comic Book Marketplace (original run), which was just by/for comic geeks! :cloud9: I believe you had a great Centaur article in an early issue (#4). :headbang:

Thats how I first learned of Sacentaur's existence! Although I never got to read that article in CBM.

Jon Berk also wrote a great article on Everett's AMAN stories, can't remember which issue. I wrote CBM to request an Aman article, and lo and behold, Jon Berk answered the call!

I believe you had a great Centaur article in an early issue (#4). :headbang:

That was a fun piece to author back in the old days. :)

I remember Gary Carter chuckling at some of the inside humor - and thinking he may change some text - but to his credit he just added some "[groans]" lol

Two lower-grade filler copy recent arrivals: thanx to a fellow Boardie for this FP undercopy.

(love the Arrow stories, especially the early ones - raw, brutal, and entertaining)

FP32.jpg

(this issue of AMF has a great Wolverton Space Patrol story, and is a tough issue to locate)

AMF22.jpg