• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Picked this up from a Bro at the San Diego Comic Con show!

LittleGiant1.jpg

And I'm not surprised that Steve scored at SDCC! All the Little Giants are tough, so it's always a rush to find one. :banana: Now I just need to get a card at the library where Bunky and you are checking out these great Centaurs!

Edited by PreHero

Picked this up from a Bro at the San Diego Comic Con show!

LittleGiant1.jpg

And I'm not surprised that Steve scored at SDCC! All the Little Giants are tough, so it's always a rush to find one. :banana: Now I just need to get a card at the library where Bunky and you are checking out these great Centaurs!

(thumbs u

I have a question for any of the Centaur experts regarding Star Ranger #1 and Western Picture Stories #1.

Overstreet notes "1st western comic" next to the issue number of SR #1 but next to the title of WPS #1 with each having a February 1937 publishing date. Is it known if one issue hit the stands earlier than the other or is it generally considered a tie?

Wow Bob. Congrats.

I'm not a big fan of the early pre-hero books but those look very cool.

Thanks Mr.B.

I'm finding the 1936-1940 period to be one of my favorites. I may well just continue to collect titles that are early or pre-hero even after the Centaurs are mostly collected. I'm really enjoying these, the More Fun & New Adventure Comic. :cloud9:

I don't get into the newspaper strip reprints though. :P

That's a tough one. Honky posted some of his earliest strip reprints books in another thread today and while I see the attraction, it's not something I would collect either. I don't know if it's lack of overall interest in the material or the ready availability of other reprint forms for the material but it doesn't have the pizzazz of the other material you describe. Are we being comic-book snobs and prefer books that have NOT been in the newspapers first? Maybe we are shooting ourselves in the foot though since the direct to comics artists were the ones too green to crack the syndicates or too "bad" to crack said syndicates.

In any event, congrats on the multiple Centaur buys. When can I come over and flip through those? :sumo:

.... while I see the attraction, it's not something I would collect either.

sigh...i'm guess i'm the Will Rogers of comic collecting...i never met a book i didn't like.

taking King #4 for an example, how can you not want a 1936 book with Popeye, Jungle Jim/Flash Gordon, Brick Bradford, Bringing Up Father, Mandrake, and Henry not to mention stuff you'll never see reprinted like G-Man, Ace Drummond, Frank Buck, King of the Royal Mounted, The Little King, Ming Foo, Little Andy Rooney, Radio Patrol, Just Kids and the various true-fact and sports illustrated text features.

and the fact that some of the strips have been reprinted in modern collected editions doesn't bother me. most of the major DC superhero stuff has been reprinted multiple times but that doesn't seem to hurt sales of Action #1 or Tec #27.

Thank you. Here are two more. :D

starcomicsvol1num15.jpg

Congrats on the nice Centaur pick-ups Bob. (thumbs u

Of course the Funny Pages books are classic.....but these Star issues you picked up are in my opinion tougher books in the global scheme of things. A lot of the Star Comics are some of the hardest Centaurs to pick up.

You must be getting close to completing many of these runs since you have made some fantastic purchases lately. :headbang: