• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

That page rules! Reminds me of Jim Woodring.

I think so many comtemporary and underground comic artists owe a lot to Wolverton (not that this is a new observation...)

I can see where his work must have been popular with collectors in the late 1960's!

smirk.gif

And Frazetta reminds you of Sam Keith. poke2.gif

I actually heard someone at a con make that comment. foreheadslap.gif

screwy.gif

Mark Schultz maybe... thumbsup2.gif

Both of them have done Frazetta-like work. Of the two young artists, I prefer Schultz.

I've made a comment like that before (might have been me blush.gif). Some of his backgrounds do resemble some of Frazetta's work........but just the backgrounds. confused-smiley-013.gif

He's no Frazetta though! thumbsup2.gif

I've made a comment like that before (might have been me blush.gif). Some of his backgrounds do resemble some of Frazetta's work........but just the backgrounds. confused-smiley-013.gif

My point might have too obscure. It was that when I compare one artist's style with another's, I give credence to the earlier artist. So, it's not Frazetta's work looks like Mark Schultz's but the reverse.

My point might have too obscure. It was that when I compare one artist's style with another's, I give credence to the earlier artist. So, it's not Frazetta's work looks like Mark Schultz's but the reverse.

thumbsup2.gif

hi.gifflowerred.gif

I understood what you were getting at, I just don't acknowledge you when you pick nits. poke2.gif

Not to derail the thread, but here's a recent pick-up. Keen Detective Funnies #10 (3rd issue), Church copy. This was on my short list of "Could end up being the last Centaur I have to find" Centaurs, so I'm thrilled to cross it off.

keendetective3.jpg

That's a book I might not spend any time looking at if it was a normal, beatup copy. But that one? hail.gif

That's a book I might not spend any time looking at if it was a normal, beatup copy. But that one? hail.gif

It's insanely nice in-hand. You may not believe this (I am not sure I believe it myself) but I think it's as impressive as...oh wait, he hasn't posted it yet.

devil.gif

It's insanely nice in-hand. You may not believe this (I am not sure I believe it myself) but I think it's as impressive as...oh wait, he hasn't posted it yet.

devil.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Oh, my God.........what's coming next?!? 893whatthe.gif

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

Not to derail the thread, but here's a recent pick-up. Keen Detective Funnies #10 (3rd issue), Church copy. This was on my short list of "Could end up being the last Centaur I have to find" Centaurs, so I'm thrilled to cross it off.

keendetective3.jpg

I'm sorry, Win, but............is there any way that booked couldn't derail any thread?!? makepoint.gif

It's drop-dead beautiful! cloud9.gif

keendetective3.jpg

Not only is it gorgeous Win, but I have never seen it! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Not to derail the thread, but here's a recent pick-up. Keen Detective Funnies #10 (3rd issue), Church copy.

893applaud-thumb.gif Good for you, Win - lovely book.

I know very little of the cover artist, Maurice Gutwirth. I do find him popping up in GA books here and there, and his technique and shading is rather interesting.

Centaur fever! (there is no cure)...

STEVE

Not to derail the thread, but here's a recent pick-up. Keen Detective Funnies #10 (3rd issue), Church copy.

893applaud-thumb.gif Good for you, Win - lovely book.

I know very little of the cover artist, Maurice Gutwirth. I do find him popping up in GA books here and there, and his technique and shading is rather interesting.

Centaur fever! (there is no cure)...

STEVE

Nor should there ever be! If there's ever a fund drive.......just say "no!".........NO!

[say it like Cartman would). thumbsup2.gif

hp.cartman.jpg

Noooooooooo!!!!

keendetective3.jpg

holy jumping moose knuckles. did Edgar read that book, or did he just stick it in a pile somewhere?

freaking sweet

Here's the Church copy to the very first issue of KDF. Thanks to Stephen for brokering this deal between myself and the owner of these early KDF's. I've now got Church copies of the first 3 issues plus 3 later issues. It's funny, because the earliest Church KDF's are in immaculate condition, while the later ones are mid-grade double-slash 2nd hand copies.

keendetective1church.jpg