• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

This is the final book I picked up last weekend. Nothing special per se but it is new to me, and it's also a solid copy even with the vertical fold (very nice pages too, of course). I kinda like the Phantom Rider cover...

100_1599.jpg

....with more Carl Burgos (this time in color) ...

thumbsup2.gif I mis-spoke, it wasn't Burgos I remembered seeing, it was a surprisingly well accomplished Henkel on Gallant Knight in Feature Funnies. I am more accustomed to later and less polished / more stiff Henkel hence my double take when I saw this page -

1620846-FeatureFunnies19GallantKnightVernHenkel.jpg

1620846-FeatureFunnies19GallantKnightVernHenkel.jpg.7e379c22e5f89e2d8e02ade7f75bf8c6.jpg

....with more Carl Burgos (this time in color) ...

thumbsup2.gif I mis-spoke, it wasn't Burgos I remembered seeing, it was a surprisingly well accomplished Henkel on Gallant Knight in Feature Funnies. I am more accustomed to later and less polished / more stiff Henkel hence my double take when I saw this page -

1620846-FeatureFunnies19GallantKnightVernHenkel.jpg

Might be a Prince Valiant swipe or two on that page.

This is the final book I picked up last weekend. Nothing special per se but it is new to me, and it's also a solid copy even with the vertical fold (very nice pages too, of course). I kinda like the Phantom Rider cover...

100_1599.jpg

Between you and Win gobbling them all up, I have given up hope of ever completing a Centaur run!

You guys are amazing!

100_1599.jpg

That is one tough book.

S

Let me guess, it came from you?

....with more Carl Burgos (this time in color) and some Tarpe Mills (check out the last panel - ooh La La!):

100_1602.jpg

100_1603.jpg

STEVE

I don't recall seeing pages that white on new comics when I was a kid.

No, not from Metro - this book was included in the trade I did with a buddy last weekend (same time I got the 'Tec 31).

But Stephen is correct - this is one tough book (I didn't realize until I looked in Gerber that this is the only Phantom Rider cover).

STEVE

100_1599.jpg

That is one tough book.

S

bad guess.

S

100_1599.jpg

That is one tough book.

S

bad guess.

S

I stand corrected. blush.gif

Do you have the Mile High copy? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Star Comics generally have some of the worst covers of any Centaur run (unless you like vaguely humorous cartoon), but this Phantom Rider issue is an exception. Here's my copy:

starcomics17.jpg

Also, the earliest Star Comics are generally scarcer than other Centaur or pre-Centaur runs from the same time period. I've got only 1 more Amazing-Man, 1 more Keen Detective Funnies, and 1 more Funny Picture Stories left to close out each of those long runs, but I'm missing like 10 Star Comics.

Star Comics generally have some of the worst covers of any Centaur run (unless you like vaguely humorous cartoon), but this Phantom Rider issue is an exception. Here's my copy:

starcomics17.jpg

Also, the earliest Star Comics are generally scarcer than other Centaur or pre-Centaur runs from the same time period. I've got only 1 more Amazing-Man, 1 more Keen Detective Funnies, and 1 more Funny Picture Stories left to close out each of those long runs, but I'm missing like 10 Star Comics.

Unbelievable Win!! 893applaud-thumb.gif