• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

But it's puzzling!

Is that some kind of radioactive glow from the main green Nazi gorilla's gut, or a yellow and red halo around AM? And even odder, is that the main green Nazi gorilla's right leg in the foreground center? The beaver-shooting (to the delight of the Nazi officer and the assistant green Nazi gorilla on the right) woman has her leg behind it, yet AM is somehow in front of it while behind the main green Nazi gorilla's left leg, managing to punch his nether regions at the same time. The strange perspective is giving me a headache!

Jack

Gustavson is known for cool covers marred by distracting perspective problems. Take at look at this Funny Pages and tell me how many things you see wrong with it:

funnypages41.jpg

Speaking of how great Metro is, here's the book Stephen posted a few pages back:

amazing-man22.jpg

You know what's cooler than Nazi gorilla monsters? Nothing.

You are so right!!! hail.gifhail.gif

An interesting thing about this cover (at least, to nerds like me), is that if you follow Aman's left arm, his hand (knuckles) are actually drawn in on the other side of the gorilla's leg, but colored green like the gorilla's leg! At least it appears that way ... maybe CentaurMan can confirm?

Would it make a difference if his hand was colored properly? Either way, its a wicked cover.

Good eye, Ryan! You're right, A-Man's fingers are colored green on the other side of the Nazi gorilla monster's leg. However, that does very little to fix the perspective problems.

Here's another Gustavson. Not as egregious, but check out how The Arrow and the guy in the bottom right are grabbing each other. Unlikely.

Amazing that, for all the perspective problems, Gustavson's covers still make a great impression me. Great, great coloring on all of these, and great overall concepts, even if the execution is flawed.

funnypages40.jpg

But it's puzzling!

Is that some kind of radioactive glow from the main green Nazi gorilla's gut, or a yellow and red halo around AM? And even odder, is that the main green Nazi gorilla's right leg in the foreground center? The beaver-shooting (to the delight of the Nazi officer and the assistant green Nazi gorilla on the right) woman has her leg behind it, yet AM is somehow in front of it while behind the main green Nazi gorilla's left leg, managing to punch his nether regions at the same time. The strange perspective is giving me a headache!

Jack

Gustavson is known for cool covers marred by distracting perspective problems. Take at look at this Funny Pages and tell me how many things you see wrong with it:

funnypages41.jpg

Is that 2 Left hands on the guy with his arm twisted behind his back a the cage door?

But it's puzzling!

Jack

funnypages41.jpg

Is that 2 Left hands on the guy with his arm twisted behind his back a the cage door?

Sure is. Better not ask him for the next dance.

Jack

Good eye, Ryan! You're right, A-Man's fingers are colored green on the other side of the Nazi gorilla monster's leg. However, that does very little to fix the perspective problems.

Here's another Gustavson. Not as egregious, but check out how The Arrow and the guy in the bottom right are grabbing each other. Unlikely.

Amazing that, for all the perspective problems, Gustavson's covers still make a great impression me. Great, great coloring on all of these, and great overall concepts, even if the execution is flawed.

funnypages40.jpg

1658409-lisaimpossibleplussome%2B008.jpg

JPS

Here's a book that had been a thorn in my side for a while, especially every time adamstrange posted his Church copy. So I had to track down the Larson (with help from RyanH):

amazingmystery23.jpg

SImply stunning Win!! Congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's a book that had been a thorn in my side for a while, especially every time adamstrange posted his Church copy. So I had to track down the Larson (with help from RyanH):

amazingmystery23.jpg

All I can say is "Thanks, Ryan, for making my copy safe!". Breathing a little easier now. wink.gif

amazingmystery23.jpg

All I can say is "Thanks, Ryan, for making my copy safe!". Breathing a little easier now. wink.gif

Glad to be of service, CM!! I feel fortunate I got to enjoy the book for a few days... its a stunner, with white pages. Just gorgeous. FANTASTIC Wolverton story as well.

(On a side note, I had the extreme pleasure of meeting CentaurMan and October themselves in Chicago this past weekend... they braved the elements to attend my art show. Two of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. It was great to put faces to the names, and chat GA for a while. CM brought two GA goodies, that I haven't seen posted on the boards so I won't reveal them lest I spoil a surprise, but I will say they were fantastic eye candy! Thanks for coming out, guys!)

Oh yeah ... I'm not totally altruistic... there is a gem of a book on its way from CentaurMan's secret headquarters that will be a nice little cornerstone in my collection! 893applaud-thumb.gifyay.gif

(On a side note, I had the extreme pleasure of meeting CentaurMan and October themselves in Chicago this past weekend... they braved the elements to attend my art show. Two of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. It was great to put faces to the names, and chat GA for a while.

It was great meeting you, your girlfriend and your completely wasted publisher buddy. Hopefully the show went well, but it was packed when I left, so I bet it did. 893applaud-thumb.gif

For those who don't know, Ryan is an extremely talented artist. I encourage everyone to check out his website. sumo.gif

(On a side note, I had the extreme pleasure of meeting CentaurMan and October themselves in Chicago this past weekend... they braved the elements to attend my art show. Two of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. It was great to put faces to the names, and chat GA for a while.

It was great meeting you, your girlfriend and your completely wasted publisher buddy. Hopefully the show went well, but it was packed when I left, so I bet it did. 893applaud-thumb.gif

For those who don't know, Ryan is an extremely talented artist. I encourage everyone to check out his website. sumo.gif

27_laughing.gif ... I wasn't exactly sober myself by the time you guys left! Free Goose Island Lager headbang.gif

Thanks for the plug, October! thumbsup2.gif

Around 255 Centaurs down, 34 to go!

255 is quite an accomplishment. Good luck with the last 34!

Shouldn't October do a better of inventorying so you wouldn't have to guess how many you have? I think you should take back the copy of Headline 8! stooges.gif

I'm still amazed at the wonderful colors on the copies in your collection hail.gif and I have to thank you for showcasing the early work of Frank Thomas on those Centaur covers. Did you know that Thomas spend the 40's writing funny animal material for Dell's Andy Panda, Woody Woodpecker and later Howdy Doody? (at least according to the Who's Who and the Comic Strip Project) Born in 1914, he died on July 5, 1968.

Shouldn't October do a better of inventorying so you wouldn't have to guess how many you have? I think you should take back the copy of Headline 8! stooges.gif

Haven't gotten to inventory yet. This was a huge project, you have no idea....

and the Headline leaves over Andy's dead body. tongue.gif