• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

After having both the Church and Larson copies slip through my fingers over the years, I'm glad to finally get a replacement on A-Man 8 (which happens to be Jon Berk's former copy, so I'm told).

I had forgotten just how good this book was on the inside...

100_1772.jpg

STEVE

Nice copy Steve!! And congrats on the bargain price too... a great deal on a fantastic GA book.

Thanks - the book is actually mid-grade and that indeed was a corner repair on one of the pages. Still, a nice solid copy (also pictured in Gerber) at the right price that fits in well with my collection.

STEVE

Picked up this unrestored book the other day: the hand vs. submarine cover.

Also purchased a killer #5 which has just disappeared into a lucky collector's centaur collection.

AMA3.103a.jpg

A-Man 6 is one of my two favorite Golden Age books (along with Batman 4)....congrat's Stephen! 893applaud-thumb.gif

STEVE

Also purchased a killer #5 which has just disappeared into a lucky collector's centaur collection.

AMA3.103a.jpg

I saw that #6 listed on the Metro site, Stephen ... just a great copy of one of the all time great weird covers of the GA!! Along with Steve C., its one of my all time three GA covers (up there with AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES 2/5, and KEEN DETECTIVE FUNNIES #20 (the eye cover).

Nice score, Stephen!

thumbsup2.gif

AMA3.103a.jpg

You can't beat The Hand! (Only with it)

Amazing Man # 8 great book. 893applaud-thumb.gif I like # 7 & #9 also, esp. #7.

I fully agree, Ray - this scan's (Larson) for you..enjoy!

100_0854.jpg

STEVE

Now that's an awesome cover and copy!

100_0854.jpg

STEVE

Now THAT is a book worth showing off!!! Nice book, Steve! 893applaud-thumb.gif

flowerred.gif

100_0854.jpg

STEVE

Even your glossinator does not do that book justice!!!!

It is so cool in person! hail.gif

Wertham must've missed this one.

"Have a book-burning party! Lotsa fun and laughs!"

What was the story about? Some sort of surreal dream of some rare-bit fiend?

Weren't the Nazi's in the news doing this at the time?

(I never knew McKay's son copied his dad. Kind of like Chic Young and his son on Blondie.

Ditto Bill Ward and progeny. Can you think of any other children who took up the pen and brush and followed in their parents footsteps?)

EDIT: Dean Wayne Young (born July 2, 1938) is the head writer of the popular comic strip Blondie, which he inherited from his father Chic Young in 1973. Since that time he has produced the comic with a team including credited artists Jim Raymond from 1973 until 1981, Mike Gersher from 1981 until about 1984, Stan Drake from 1984 until 1997 and Denis Lebrun from 1997 until 2005. The current Blondie head artist is John Marshall.

Edited by BLAM_BLAM_BLAM

Here's one that's been eluding me for a while. These oversized early Star Comics are tough. This one's got a wacky book-burning cover by Winsor McCay's son:

starcomics4.jpg

Very cool Win! Haven't seen that one before. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's one that's been eluding me for a while. These oversized early Star Comics are tough. This one's got a wacky book-burning cover by Winsor McCay's son:

Must have glossed over this one on the GCD or Gerber. Congrats and happy B-day!!

That definitely is wacky. The characters are all smiling as they race to toss books on the fire. screwy.gif