• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autographed Superman 1 in August Heritage Auction

66 posts in this topic

I also think Heritage should approach a handwriting expert to review the signatures. For a book that's going to sell for 5 figures, it seems like a reasonable thing for them to do.

Because Heritage has such a great history of authenticating signatures :eyeroll:

17fxzd14wfbk3jpg.jpg

I also think Heritage should approach a handwriting expert to review the signatures. For a book that's going to sell for 5 figures, it seems like a reasonable thing for them to do.

Because Heritage has such a great history of authenticating signatures :eyeroll:

17fxzd14wfbk3jpg.jpg

Handwriting experts can never definitively say a signature I authentic but a good one should be able to rule out an obvious forgery. It's always an opinion not a guaranty.

The reason I posted the Cobb ball is because HA used both PSA/DNA and JSA to authenticate the signature. Both gave their opinion that it was genuine. Which is physically impossible. Anyone with knowledge about baseball would pick up on it in about 2 seconds. Why? Because of the words "Leather Cover" prominently shown in the picture. Wilson didn't introduce Leather Balls until the 1970s, prior to that they only used Horsehide. There are also a bunch of other issues with the ball, but those issues have to deal with slight things only an expert would pick up. This is just me venting about HA though, I'm sure the signatures in on the Supes are real.

Seen This before. Was it on eBay at one time ?

I recall seeing this book (or one like it) before. I believe there was a story that went with it, as to how the sigs were obtained, but I don't recall the details.

The reason I posted the Cobb ball is because HA used both PSA/DNA and JSA to authenticate the signature. Both gave their opinion that it was genuine. Which is physically impossible. Anyone with knowledge about baseball would pick up on it in about 2 seconds. Why? Because of the words "Leather Cover" prominently shown in the picture. Wilson didn't introduce Leather Balls until the 1970s, prior to that they only used Horsehide. There are also a bunch of other issues with the ball, but those issues have to deal with slight things only an expert would pick up. This is just me venting about HA though, I'm sure the signatures in on the Supes are real.

Totally understand. I was reading about some of the blunders of psa/dna and spence yesterday. My favorite was jack johnson's autograph on a card that was produced after his death.

Totally understand. I was reading about some of the blunders of psa/dna and spence yesterday. My favorite was jack johnson's autograph on a card that was produced after his death.

+1

The PSA/DNA authentication certification process is laughable at best. You would be crazy to buy anything that has been authenticated by them. The stories are endless.

+1

The PSA/DNA authentication certification process is laughable at best. You would be crazy to buy anything that has been authenticated by them. The stories are endless.

The same is said about JSA. Who do you trust then?

I have a Babe Ruth ball authenticated by both with some provenance as well. Which carries more weight?

+1

The same is said about JSA. Who do you trust then?

I have a Babe Ruth ball authenticated by both with some provenance as well. Which carries more weight?

They both carry about the same weight. It is just really tough when it comes to sports memorabilia. There have been so many well documented problems with both companies. :sorry:

As you know, there is just a ton of fake Cobb stuff out there. A lot of it was faked by the same guy. Sports memorabilia is a real fever swamp. I think it's fairly unusual for any signature to add much value to a book, so our hobby has less of a problem. Who would bother faking Stan Lee's signature? :D

Perhaps this book will be the exception where the signatures end up adding significant value. I guess we will see in August.

Can someone tell me how to create a poll? I'm curious to see what people think the book will sell for.

Options: $10-$15,000

$15,001-$20,000

$20,001-$25,000

$25,001-$30,000

$30,001-$35,000

$35,001-$40,000

$40,001-$45,000

$45,001-$50,000

$50,001+

My guess is $60K plus. I also predict that this book will be purchased, cracked out and the signatures properly authenticated before being reslabbed. CrystalBall2.gif

Everything else is hazy. lol

I would guess that authenticating Joanne Siegal's signature is going to be a lot more difficult than the others, maybe impossible..

I could see this book commanding a premium with some buyers, but I think multiples of guide is a bit extreme - especially when the signatures are not authenticated. I would get it if someone wants to take a flyer on it, and is willing to pay a bit extra for the opportunity...but there's also inherent risk here (insofar as paying above FMV for a comparable book without sigs). With some of the estimates in this thread, the additional premium for the sigs is higher than the value of the book itself. That, to me, is :screwy:

How much have Siegel/Shuster autographed items sold for in the past...?

My guess is $60K plus. I also predict that this book will be purchased, cracked out and the signatures properly authenticated before being reslabbed. CrystalBall2.gif

Everything else is hazy. lol

Hey Dave can you check your crystal ball to see where I am going to get the money to buy this sucker?