• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

box office tide is rising.  eager to hear from the boardie who's right as often as the guy who gets 3rd choice on a coin flip

‘Aquaman’ Darting To $120M+ In Competitive Christmas 5-Day Corridor – Box Office Preview

lol Is that supposed to be a passive aggressive swipe at me?  You do realize that my statements are almost always based on the most recent industry articles, which I almost always provide a link to, right?

Perhaps we should revisit some of your early Venom box office projections, bub. hm

Anyway, I don't know where you're getting your info from, but Hollywood Reporter still has Mary Poppins strong in the  Christmas frame, and still has Aquman at ~$60MM in the Friday-Sunday frame (we will see if it actually can top $100MM through Christmas, but even if it does it will still have the lowest Fri-Sun opening ever for any DCEU film).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/box-office-preview-aquaman-mary-poppins-returns-lead-1170308

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

17 hours ago, Andahaion said:

Amazon had a deal for Prime members to see it early. At least that’s how I saw it early. 

I have Prime, but never heard about it. Oh well, Friday morning is good enough for me.

12 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

lol Is that supposed to be a passive aggressive swipe at me?  You do realize that my statements are almost always based on the most recent industry articles, which I almost always provide a link to, right?

Perhaps we should revisit some of your early Venom box office projections, bub. hm

Anyway, I don't know where you're getting your info from, but Hollywood Reporter still has Mary Poppins strong in the  Christmas frame, and still has Aquman at ~$60MM in the Friday-Sunday frame (we will see if it actually can top $100MM through Christmas, but even if it does it will still have the lowest Fri-Sun opening ever for any DCEU film).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/box-office-preview-aquaman-mary-poppins-returns-lead-1170308

-J.

Venom was so good that it only took 2 months until it hit Blu-ray/DVD...

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Venom was so good that it only took 2 months until it hit Blu-ray/DVD...

It is also one of the highest grossing films of the year. Releasing it on home video before Christmas makes sense from a business standpoint.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:
1 hour ago, lpsunburst said:

It is also one of the highest grossing films of the year. Releasing it on home video before Christmas makes sense from a business standpoint.

Little-to-no re-watch value is more likely.

While I can't comment on the re-watch value since I have not seen the film yet, Ipsunburst is correct with the timing for a Christmas release. There are still enough people that buy Blu-ray/DVDs as gifts to make it worthwhile for studios will push to get movies out and in the stores for Christmas. 

$205MM China, now trailing Venom by 7% on total comp basis; this weekend should decide whether it ultimately passes Venom in China.  "Stock" now estimating US BO at $260-275MM.  $900MM WW possible if that's accurate.

Critically, settling into mediocre territory: 68 RT, 53 Metacritic

Edited by paperheart

3 hours ago, paperheart said:

$205MM China, now trailing Venom by 7% on total comp basis; this weekend should decide whether it ultimately passes Venom in China.  "Stock" now estimating US BO at $260-275MM.  $900MM WW possible if that's accurate.

Critically, settling into mediocre territory: 68 RT, 53 Metacritic

These numbers strike me as ludicrous primarily for the reason I said earlier- this movie is already going into its third week of release, but it's already shot its biggest wad in China and is winding down there. $205MM of it's current ~$280MM total worldwide haul is from China, with its crappy studio split and this movie's absurd $200MM production budget (twice that of Venom), and I don't know is $75MM combined in those 13 other countries it opened in last week a good showing ? (shrug) And with the scorching competition on North America (I actually think Mary Poppins will end up exceeding most industry forecasts, no I will not be seeing it lol) literally three comic book movies out simultaneously (is spider verse going to get obliterated in its second week?), it will almost certainly take North Anerica at this point to get Aquaman to the same worldwide as Venom for its (Aquaman) 2X budget.  

I don't agree with rolling this movie out in China and other territories first, while it may give the "illusion" of being a hit, in reality it's actually still deep in the red, and will likely need an extraordinary and leggy North America to cement it as a bona fide financial success.

And I don't see that happening.  There is just too much competition, particularly Mary Poppins and even with its softer initial opening weekend, most industry forecasts have it being the film with the best chance at the longest legs.  

(And hey we are all just spitballing here so no need for personal attacks, oblique or otherwise).

-J.

ignorance is bliss.  running 20% above Venom Day 13 vs 13. Venom had another $50MM to go in China post day 13, therefore maybe $60MM more for Aquaman, that's $265MM.  Other int'l rollout last weekend was in 41 markets and running 10% ahead of JL (which did $325MM in those markets), if that stands then $355MM. $260-275MM in US.  That's $880-895MM.  Ta da!

17 minutes ago, paperheart said:

ignorance is bliss.  running 20% above Venom Day 13 vs 13. Venom had another $50MM to go in China post day 13, therefore maybe $60MM more for Aquaman, that's $265MM.  Other int'l rollout last weekend was in 41 markets and running 10% ahead of JL (which did $325MM in those markets), if that stands then $355MM. $260-275MM in US.  That's $880-895MM.  Ta da!

lol You just can't help yourself, can you bud. 

Is this what they call "apples and oranges"? 

Again, Aquaman has already shot its biggest BO wad in China (where, as you stated, it is currently trailing Venom, and if I'm not mistaken Venom got an extended theatrical run there), so the "20% ahead of Venom" worldwide stat you mentioned is a meaningless analogy.  

You're also mixing comparisons, throwing in JL (a boba fide flop) to rationalize how much "better" Aquaman is doing in the other territories (and again, I'm not sure if $75MM opening weekend in all those other countries combined really is considered "good" as a standalone figure).

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Solid 4.5/5

Spoiler

The Good:

• The story and style match Snyder's vision for Worlds of DC. Not as much humor as some would lead you to believe - and that's a good thing. It definitely feels grounded within the DC universe.
  • Kinda blending in with the last point - the visual direction and soundtrack are reminiscent of Snyder - and amazing. Collectively, DC's themes blow Marvel's away, AINEC.
  • Outside of Orm's helmet at the end, and a scene that I can't remember, the CGI was on-par with Infinity War's. Close-to perfect.
  • The battle at the end was exactly what I hoped for. There was the CGI war, but then a mono e mono battle for kingdom.
  • IIRC, Arthur passes the throne onto Orm at some point during Throne of Atlantis (or another recent story), so him surviving makes sense and doesn't bother me at all.
  • Amber Heard is a dime.
  • Arthur being a "grounded" person is just phenomenal. He knows he's not the smartest guy, he knows his strengths are his heart and his body, and he knows that he created a villain by not being a hero. He wasn't "an insufficiently_thoughtful_person" as some people have said. He's not Batman, though.
  • That freaking suit of Atlan.
  • They made him basically as powerful as Superman would be under water, which is consistent with the New 52 direction that DC has been going with.
  • Orm's conniving and ruthless quest for power was a nice change of pace to the "I'm a secret bad guy until the end" trope.

The Bad:

• Too many jump scares. IMO the one when they arrest Arthur tipped it in the "too many" direction.
  • Not sure how Orm knew that Vulko was supporting Curry behind his back. Kinda felt that it needed to be conveyed.
  • The Trench was underutilized. Really wanted more than a small battle and chase sequence.
  • Too many pollution references. It's important to mention, but I feel like they took it too far too fast, because it was completely neglected for the latter half of the movie. If they spread out that dialogue then it doesn't feel forced.
  • Orm's helmet.

The Ugly:

• Nothing.

Saw it last night...C+.  The best way to describe this movie is if somebody put a gun to my head and ask me who directed this, without any knowledge, my best guess would be Michael Bay.

Good:

- Colorful and eye-pleasing

- Kids will love this movie

- Black Manta (one of the best comic to movie adaption in terms of looks)

Bad

- Not very humorous (I just expected it to be a lot funnier)

- Toooooooo long

- No story (something written by a high school student)

- Every scene had to be "epic" (you'll know what I mean when you see it)

- Music didn't fit some scenes (you'll know it when you see it)

- No focus...it was all over the place

- Zero character development (at no time did I feel sorry or connected to any of them)

- Too many super hero poses (usually I wouldn't bring up something minor like this but after two hours you just want them to stop posing and get on with it)

This MIGHT be number 3 (behind Dark Knight and Wonder Woman) in DC movies but it's a distant third.

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Spelling

14 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Bad

- Not very humorous (I just expected it to be a lot funnier)

- Toooooooo long

- No story (seriously, this was a high school ---script)

- Every scene had to be "epic"

- Music didn't fit some scenes (you'll know it when you see it)

- No focus...it was all over the place

- Zero character development (at no time did I feel sorry or connected to any of them)

- Too many super hero poses (usually I wouldn't bring up something minor like this but after two hours you just want them to stop posing and get on with it)

This MIGHT be number 3 (behind Dark Knight and Wonder Woman) in DC movies but it's a distant third.

• This isn't a Marvel movie, and it's a good thing. Do we really want superhero fatigue to set in ASAP?
  • It's ~140 mins, which falls in-line with every other comic book movie.
  • I don't follow. While they tried to make a spectacle of some scenes that deserved otherwise, there is a ton of content that is rightfully 'bombastic' and "epic". It's a movie about Kings, war, and Atlantis...
  • Black Manta scenes are the only ones in which I'd tentatively agree. His theme didn't always fit his scene. Otherwise the music was phenomenal.
  • This is a case of mass-CGI on the big screen. Dawn of Justice suffered the same problem at times. On a 50-60" TV, though, I don't think anything will appear muddled.
  • Not every character "developed", but the main pieces all easily changed from beginning-to-end (Arthur, Orm, Kings, Mera, etc).
  • This is a comic book movie...
Edited by TwoPiece
Spoiler removed.

34 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:
  • This isn't a Marvel movie, and it's a good thing. Do we really want superhero fatigue to set in ASAP?
  • It's ~140 mins, which falls in-line with every other comic book movie.
  • I don't follow. While they tried to make a spectacle of some scenes that deserved otherwise, there is a ton of content that is rightfully 'bombastic' and "epic". It's a movie about Kings, war, and Atlantis...
  • Black Manta scenes are the only ones in which I'd tentatively agree. His theme didn't always fit his scene. Otherwise the music was phenomenal.
  • This is a case of mass-CGI on the big screen. Dawn of Justice suffered the same problem at times. On a 50-60" TV, though, I don't think anything will appear muddled.
  • Not every character "developed", but the main pieces all easily changed from beginning-to-end (Arthur, Orm, Kings, Mera, etc).
  • This is a comic book movie...

* No, not a Marvel movie.  It's more of a Michael Bay movie.  So if you like Michael Bay movies (which some people do) then you'll love this movie

* The ~140 minutes isn't the problem.  ~140 minutes of a movie going nowhere is a problem.

* They made spectacles of a lot of scenes...we agree.  Again, if you like Michael Bay movies you'll love Aquaman.

* The music...there were enough scenes where it didn't fit that was glaring (but this is nitpicking because at a point everything was starting to annoy me)

* I love mass-CGI as much as the next movie fan but it got to a point where it became a thousand specs on the screen (I did however love the trench with the red flare scene...beautiful)

* Orm didn't change at all.  Mera didn't change at all.  C'mon, we both know character development could have been a lot better

* I love comic book movies...IF War, Dark Knight, WW, Hellboy, Black Panter, etc.  Being on this forum in the movie section proves it LOL.  This movie was wasn't one of the better comic book movies

Again, if you like a lot of action, color and 2 1/2 hours of just shutting off your brain then this movie is perfect.  But I was hoping for Thor 3 or Guardians of The Galaxy...but got Michael Bay.

Just now, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

* No, not a Marvel movie.  It's more of a Michael Bay movie.  So if you like Michael Bay movies (which some people do) then you'll love this movie

* The ~140 minutes isn't the problem.  ~140 minutes of a movie going nowhere is a problem.

* They made spectacles of a lot of scenes...we agree.  Again, if you like Michael Bay movies you'll love Aquaman.

* The music...there were enough scenes where it didn't fit that was glaring (but this is nitpicking because at a point everything was starting to annoy me)

* I love mass-CGI as much as the next movie fan but it got to a point where it became a thousand specs on the screen (I did however love the trench with the red flare scene...beautiful)

* Orm didn't change at all.  Mera didn't change at all.  C'mon, we both know character development could have been a lot better

* I love comic book movies...IF War, Dark Knight, WW, Hellboy, Black Panter, etc.  Being on this forum in the movie section proves it LOL.  This movie was wasn't one of the better comic book movies

Again, if you like a lot of action, color and 2 1/2 hours of just shutting off your brain then this movie is perfect.  But I was hoping for Thor 3 or Guardians of The Galaxy...but got Michael Bay.

I don't think you've ever seen a Michael Bay movie... 3 jump-scare explosions does not merit a comparison of Wan to Bay...

Orm and Mera didn't change at all!? What movie did you even watch!?

If you expected this movie to avoid concepts of war and battle, then you were seriously mistaken. It's a comic book movie based off of the New 52 and Throne of Atlantis...

I have no idea how you can expect a team-up story (um, hello, Justice League) like GotG or Ragnarok within a solo title film... Consider my mind blown.

31 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

(edit...lots of cussing and stuff)

We'll agree to disagree

Good call on that.  (thumbsu

I pretty much agree with your assertions too by the way.  Saw it late last night to about a half full theater (or half empty, depending on how you view things in life lol). Lots of people laughing when they weren't supposed to, and not laughing when they were.  I will also add that when neither of your leads can act for spit and have absolutely ZERO chemistr together, and when your "hero" is way too overpowered, thus eliminating any and all stakes and tension (I had this problem with Wonder Woman too, and a couple marvel movies) all you really can do at that point is have garish, cartoony CGI and repetitive fight scenes that all lead to nothing.  I actually liked Justice League better.  

2.0 out of 5.0 for me

-J.

Saw it last night. Visually, a beautiful film. Manta was good. Really liking red hair. Major battle scene at end was mind blowing. There is a post credit scene, so stay in your seats. Only problem is,

Spoiler

i think Luthor should have picked up Manta.