• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, kav said:

--script appears-believe it or not the original ---

ok this is weird-I've tried twice to edit out the extra '-''s in that section-but they wont go away!!!

NONE BUT HIM WHO IS WORTHY CAN LIFT THE HAMMER OF-uh wait I mean the Trident of Atlan-

-good thing they had plot armor so they could make out in middle of fierce battle!  

Ps that is NOT how lava behaves under water-not even close.

Edited by kav

$11MM US Monday, leading to $102-105MM thru X-Mas.  over/under $200MM after New Year's Day.  China $243MM, trailing Venom by 1.5% to date but trouncing it by 150% on comparable day 19, if trend holds could be looking at $300MM China.

#stupidbudgetblewwadinchina

Edited by paperheart

24 minutes ago, paperheart said:

$11MM US Monday, leading to $102-105MM thru X-Mas.  over/under $200MM after New Year's Day.  China $243MM, trailing Venom by 1.5% to date but trouncing it by 150% on comparable day 19, if trend holds could be looking at $300MM China.

#stupidbudgetblewwadinchina

#83millioninoneweekofreleaseisstilltheworstshowingofanyDCEUmovietodateandthatisevenwiththeholiday ;)

-J.

19 minutes ago, paperheart said:

$22MM X-Mas day, $105MM+ 5 day. will pass Justice League on comparable basis today #ifonlyicouldreadacalendar

Barely cracking $100MM after eight days days in release (counting Amazon preview @$3MM, early Wednesday preview @$4.7MM, and Thursday preview @$9MM) through a major holiday corridor is just not that good and well short of the $120MM++ that was reportedly (allegedly) going to happen.   Maybe this would have done a lot better if not for the other three "big" movies all released at the same time, two of which are competing for the same audience.  Or maybe not.  Either way.. #wonderwomanmademoreinoneweekend

-J.

Umm...Aquaman's international gross will surpass Justice League's total international gross by Friday. If it hits $160M domestic total it will be profitable.

It's already hit $500M worldwide, which is (at worst) 2.5x its budget.

For comparison - Captain America: The First Avenger's worldwide multiple was only 2.64x its budget _total_ and Thor's worldwide multiple was 3.0.

At this rate, Aquaman will easily surpass both of those (by New Year's Day, in fact).

My buddy greatly enjoyed Aquaman, the Atlantis world building, spcl fx on underwater technology, ships, weapons, and anti-pollution theme. I did not like movie due to the irritating deluxe sound system pumping out Tron: Legacy background music or some modern, overly loud hip hop tune. I would recommend the 1980s soundtrack to Bumblebee movie instead. Prequel to Transformers #1 :cloud9: movie had more heart, emotion, and logic (e.g. 1970s and 1980s cars in movie).

48 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Umm...Aquaman's international gross will surpass Justice League's total international gross by Friday. If it hits $160M domestic total it will be profitable.

It's already hit $500M worldwide, which is (at worst) 2.5x its budget.

For comparison - Captain America: The First Avenger's worldwide multiple was only 2.64x its budget _total_ and Thor's worldwide multiple was 3.0.

At this rate, Aquaman will easily surpass both of those (by New Year's Day, in fact).

hm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/07/13/box-office-warcraft-is-a-430-million-flop/#613cc57433f3

-J.

I dont care for any movie that inserts the global warming carp.  'The seas are boiling!!!'.  Yeah no theyre not.

7 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:
8 hours ago, paperheart said:

$22MM X-Mas day, $105MM+ 5 day. will pass Justice League on comparable basis today #ifonlyicouldreadacalendar

Barely cracking $100MM after eight days days in release (counting Amazon preview @$3MM, early Wednesday preview @$4.7MM, and Thursday preview @$9MM) through a major holiday corridor is just not that good and well short of the $120MM++ that was reportedly (allegedly) going to happen.   Maybe this would have done a lot better if not for the other three "big" movies all released at the same time, two of which are competing for the same audience.  Or maybe not.  Either way.. #wonderwomanmademoreinoneweekend

-J.

I don't think anyone would compare Aquaman to Wonder Woman. Its just not a fair comparison. Aquaman is the lowest of the low in the JLA original members. The fact that his movie can get close to 100 Million is impressive I think. Remember Saturday Night Live used to parody him to death. He has always been a laughing stock. They chose the right time and the right director. I think they did the best they could with what they had to work with and the important part. They had to make the mass population like the movie so of course they changed some stuff and took stuff out of context. It still worked and the movie beside the marginal acting was a visual stunner.

13 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I don't think anyone would compare Aquaman to Wonder Woman. Its just not a fair comparison. Aquaman is the lowest of the low in the JLA original members. The fact that his movie can get close to 100 Million is impressive I think. Remember Saturday Night Live used to parody him to death. He has always been a laughing stock. They chose the right time and the right director. I think they did the best they could with what they had to work with and the important part. They had to make the mass population like the movie so of course they changed some stuff and took stuff out of context. It still worked and the movie beside the marginal acting was a visual stunner.

I completely agree with pretty much everything you just said.  ^^

-J.

7 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Okay - now you're just trolling. But (alas) I'm lame enough to take the bait.     (sigh)

Comparing Aquaman and Warcraft is like comparing apples and hand grenades:

• Aquaman's domestic total after 5 days of release is more than double Warcraft's domestic total after 13 weeks of release.
  • Aquaman's worldwide total is already $125M more than Warcraft's worldwide theatrical total.

Oh, and I was wrong above:

At $556M+ worldwide as of yesterday, Aquaman's budget multiplier of 2.78 after 5 days has already surpassed Captain America: The First Avenger's multipler of 2.64 for its entire run.

And, as you know, that film was such a loser, they didn't opt to do any sequels.  :screwy:

a stinker, imo.   and i wanted to like it.   i see almost every comic flick in the theater, with only a few exceptions--ff reboot, g. rider 2, punisher war zone.   after b v. s, jl, s. squad and now this one, i think i'm going to throw in the towel on the dc universe, save for ww 2 (loved the first one).   a flash or cyborg flick will need schindler's list-like  reviews for me to forfeit the money and time to get me in the building.  

19 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Okay - now you're just trolling. But (alas) I'm lame enough to take the bait.     (sigh)

Comparing Aquaman and Warcraft is like comparing apples and hand grenades:

• Aquaman's domestic total after 5 days of release is more than double Warcraft's domestic total after 13 weeks of release.
  • Aquaman's worldwide total is already $125M more than Warcraft's worldwide theatrical total.

Oh, and I was wrong above:

At $556M+ worldwide as of yesterday, Aquaman's budget multiplier of 2.78 after 5 days has already surpassed Captain America: The First Avenger's multipler of 2.64 for its entire run.

And, as you know, that film was such a loser, they didn't opt to do any sequels.  :screwy:

had "apples and dog turds" ready to go, but "apples and hand grenades" is apt  #constantlymovingthegoalpoststobeprovenwrongmultipletimes

28 minutes ago, paperheart said:

had "apples and dog turds" ready to go, but "apples and hand grenades" is apt  #constantlymovingthegoalpoststobeprovenwrongmultipletimes

Yawn.  Wake me when this movie hits $900MM to at least get in the black.  

#chinaaintgonnasaveit

-J.