• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I cry BS.  There's nothing about this movie to indicate it won't be a hit...a monster hit.

Trailers...fantastic.  Reshoot drama...none.  Director drama...none.  This is one of the few movies where I've heard nothing bad about.  I trust my gut more than these predictions.

5 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I cry BS.  There's nothing about this movie to indicate it won't be a hit...a monster hit.

Trailers...fantastic.  Reshoot drama...none.  Director drama...none.  This is one of the few movies where I've heard nothing bad about.  I trust my gut more than these predictions.

Well, at some point, he (Momoa) does don the outfit that people made fun of Aquaman for forever...

Kidding aside I entirely agree with your post.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:19 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

+1, these early tracking #'s aren't worth a damn.  if the movie is 29 RT it should rightfully tank (although this doesn't happen often enough) but i seriously doubt that's going to be the case.  "stock" is trading at level implying $220MM US.

Edited by paperheart

On 11/2/2018 at 11:31 AM, paperheart said:

+1, these early tracking #'s aren't worth a damn. if the movie is 29 RT it should rightfully tank (although this doesn't happen often enough) but i seriously doubt that's going to be the case.  "stock" is trading at level implying $220MM US.

hm These guys have been mostly nailing it so far (Bohemian Rhapsody being the lone exception where they missed their projection on the low side by greater than 10%).

https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-tracking-mary-poppins-returns-aquaman-bumblebee/

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

57 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

hm These guys have been mostly nailing it so far (Bohemian Rhapsody being the lone exception where they missed their projection on the low side by greater than 10%).

https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-tracking-mary-poppins-returns-aquaman-bumblebee/

-J.

actually, they suck just like everyone else. just a few from this year:

Solo est 150MM, 390MM -actual 84MM, 214MM

Red Sparrow est 26MM opening weekend, 84MM total - actual 17MM, 47MM

Ready Player One est 54MM, 180MM - actual 41MM, 137MM

A Wrinkle in Time est  52MM, 154MM - actual 33MM, 100MM

First Man est 20MM, 100MM - actual 16MM, 45MM

Bohemian Rhapsody est 35MM, 110MM - actual 51MM, probable 175MM

my favorite: Paul, Apostle of Christ est 13MM, 51MM - actual 5MM, 17MM

15 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Saw the trailer last night (I think during MNF).  Meh.  Nothing about it makes me think, "I've got to see this in the theater".  

Did you see the 2nd trailer (~5 mins)? That one tipped the scales in the "must-see" direction for me.

It looks well-directed from a visual standpoint. Something Zack Snyder brought to the films that cannot be ignored. Comic books are strictly optical and he brought panels to life on the big screen. Idk if I've ever seen a James Wan film before, but his style looks very good from the Aquaman trailers.

It's nice to see some content of Vulko from the final trailer. He was supposed to debut in Justice League (among other supporting characters for the new team members...) and I was sorely disappointed in his absence from the Theatrical Cut (again, same for those other supporting characters).

Idk if I'll see this at the 7 PM pre-release, but I'll be seeing it a couple of times during opening weekend for sure.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:38 AM, TwoPiece said:

Did you see the 2nd trailer (~5 mins)? That one tipped the scales in the "must-see" direction for me.

It looks well-directed from a visual standpoint. Something Zack Snyder brought to the films that cannot be ignored. Comic books are strictly optical and he brought panels to life on the big screen. Idk if I've ever seen a James Wan film before, but his style looks very good from the Aquaman trailers.

It's nice to see some content of Vulko from the final trailer. He was supposed to debut in Justice League (among other supporting characters for the new team members...) and I was sorely disappointed in his absence from the Theatrical Cut (again, same for those other supporting characters).

Idk if I'll see this at the 7 PM pre-release, but I'll be seeing it a couple of times during opening weekend for sure.

on this we can agree.

9 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

on this we can agree.

Yeah - I'm not worried about James Wan's directing.

He cut his teeth with solid work on some _super_-low budget horror films, and Furious 7 was legit better than a few James Bond films.

That said, it's not at the top of my December film list just because...it's Aquaman.

That's not a jibe at DC - I haven't seen either of the Ant-Man films and, while I thought Doctor Strange was passable, I probably would wait for Netflix on any sequel.

Aquaman is just...hard for me to see as a compelling character, no matter whose at the helm writing or directing.

Although - I reckon Amber Heard's a step up from Mandy Moore...

6 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - I'm not worried about James Wan's directing.

He cut his teeth with solid work on some _super_-low budget horror films, and Furious 7 was legit better than a few James Bond films.

That said, it's not at the top of my December film list just because...it's Aquaman.

That's not a jibe at DC - I haven't seen either of the Ant-Man films and, while I thought Doctor Strange was passable, I probably would wait for Netflix on any sequel.

Aquaman is just...hard for me to see as a compelling character, no matter whose at the helm writing or directing.

Although - I reckon Amber Heard's a step up from Mandy Moore...

Say whaaaaaaaaaat? The Doc is one of the best films of Phase 3 IMO (behind Infinity War and maybe Ragnarok - so far).

Your opinion makes sense after all that Aquaman's reputation has endured for decades...

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Say whaaaaaaaaaat? The Doc is one of the best films of Phase 3 IMO (behind Infinity War and maybe Ragnarok - so far).

Your opinion makes sense after all that Aquaman's reputation has endured for decades...

Really? Apparently we have polar opposite tastes.

My top five rom Phase 3:

Black Panther

Infinity War

Homecoming

Civil War

Ragnarok

To be clear, I enjoyed all of the above films very much and have seen them all more than once.

But then there was a steep drop-off for me.

And I literally walked out of Guardians 2. (Granted, it was at the $2 theater, but I was falling asleep and decided to just go home instead. The key? I never felt the need to go back and watch those last 25 minutes.)

Homecoming and Raganarok really surprised me with how good they were as my expectations were in the basement (Homecoming mostly for Michael Keaton - and I have to admit Tom Holland makes a much better Peter Parker and Spider-Man than Andrew Garfield).

This "Final" trailer actually has me a bit more interested than before! The special efforts look 10x better than Justice League and it makes the -script sound a lot better. Might have to see this in theatre now! I don't want to have too high of expectations but hopefully it does good. 

:wishluck:

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Really? Apparently we have polar opposite tastes.

My top five rom Phase 3:

Black Panther

Infinity War

Homecoming

Civil War

Ragnarok

To be clear, I enjoyed all of the above films very much and have seen them all more than once.

But then there was a steep drop-off for me.

And I literally walked out of Guardians 2. (Granted, it was at the $2 theater, but I was falling asleep and decided to just go home instead. The key? I never felt the need to go back and watch those last 25 minutes.)

Homecoming and Raganarok really surprised me with how good they were as my expectations were in the basement (Homecoming mostly for Michael Keaton - and I have to admit Tom Holland makes a much better Peter Parker and Spider-Man than Andrew Garfield).

Different tastes, indeed. IMO Civil War is only better than GotG 2 (well, we agree that this one was a poor sequel).

I hate the first 5 minutes of Ragnarok. Otherwise a solid-A film.

Homecoming is phenomenal. I suppose I just like the title character of Doctor Strange more.

take these with a sea of salt (especially the "reviews" - not sure how much stock to put in the $100MM opening weekend estimate either)

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/aquaman-social-reactions-absolutely-bonkers-and-a-lot-of-fun/

https://www.thewrap.com/aquaman-early-reactions-are-bubbling-most-ambitious-dc-film-to-date/

Edited by paperheart

interesting China pre-sale info (for those who care about such things), running slightly behind Spider-Man HC and Ant-Man 2 implying a $60MMish opening weekend in China (this weekend)

Aquaman (4 days out)

Midnight - 1.27m

OD - 8.16m (+24.39%) (55002 shows)

Sat - 5.66m

Sun - 4.23m

Spiderman - 8.85m

Ant Man 2 - 8.43m (50,320 shows)