• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, anstettoman said:

2+ hrs of time I can't get back possibly the worst comic book movie I have ever seen  "call me ocean master?" really...…..feel more like call you d%^$ head!!! what a waste of time

You do realize that his character is Ocean Master right? 

Oh that certainly explains things...…..

I generally love comic movies but between the terrible acting, poor chemistry between the lead characters, and a movie that features Dolph Lundgren  in a major way without silvester stalone in it. 2 1/2 hrs never seemed to last so long...…...

Just saw it - very good B grade movie.  Visually stunning and it kept me entertained even though it’s late. When I first heard d about an Aquaman movie I had I pegged as a disaster but it was really good.

1 minute ago, fastballspecial said:

Always hated Aquaman. 

I enjoyed the film for what it was. The director wasn't paid enough because the film is a visual masterpiece. 
Jason M. isn't going to win an acting award and I am okay with that. Mera stole the film in my opinion. I was
impressed with her performance. 

Some of you are ridiculous with your demands for how the movie should have been. They are appealing to wide
audience not some comic book fan from the 70s and 80s. Be happy your characters are getting to the screen
especially DC ones. :baiting:

Never in my lifetime would I thought I would see my characters from my childhood like this on the big screen.

It wasn't a masterpiece, but it got applauded by a few when I left a few hours ago that doesn't happen much.
The after credits scene was a waste. 

The audience applauded when I viewed it as well...only the second or third time I’ve witnessed that display.

Never had any interest in the character and I'm not a fan of Momoa either. The majority of members posting here so far enjoyed it so I'll give it a shot. I haven't really enjoyed any recent DC movies except Man of Steel. I know, not so recent. They hit that high note with Dark Knight and then the band left. 

10 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

With the numbers you've just estimated, this movie loses money,  based on it's stupid budget of $200MM and another reported $150MM in marketing.  Even at $850MM (China- $265MM × .25= $66MM, North America- $235MM × .50= $117.5MM, rest of world- $350MM x ~.40= $140MM, Grand total to WB- $323MM) this movie loses money theatrically.  FWIW, I still don't think this movie has another $400MM left in the tank at all. I mean really, the movie has already been out three weeks now, and has basically been released everywhere it is going to.  Unlike recent years past where there was mostly one big tentpole playing, this year we have THREE, four if you count Mary Poppins.  Blame the studios for cramming all these movies in at the end of the year (a move obviously done because there is no star wars this year).

Given that this is a character that really nobody was clamoring to see in a solo movie, WB would have been far more intelligent to go with a SMALLER, more focused movie, with a SMALLER budget, instead of the asinine, throw-everything-at-the-wall Amazing Spider-Man 2 route, which itself made seemingly a boatload of money on paper, but still killed the franchise because of dumb budgeting.  To their potential credit, it looks like they're going more that direction with Shazam.

-J.

Dude, we get it. You F’d up your prediction that the movie would tank. There is no need to keep trying to defend it. You are the only one who cares. No one is going to consider this movie commercially unsuccessful no matter how hard you try. But if it will let you sleep at night, please carry on telling us how a movie that is being well received by audiences and is going to make $800ish million is a loser. 

On 12/19/2018 at 5:41 PM, Jaydogrules said:

I don't agree with rolling this movie out in China and other territories first, while it may give the "illusion" of being a hit, in reality it's actually still deep in the red, and will likely need an extraordinary and leggy North America to cement it as a bona fide financial success.

Why not as it sure did better numbers in China than it did in North America in terms of its opening weekend? hm

Even Marvel seems to be recognizing the growing influence of the China marketplace going forward.  To the point that they are even starting to work on developing a Shang-Chi movie as a critical part of their Phase 4 expansion of their MCU movie universe.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:

Dude, we get it. You F’d up your prediction that the movie would tank. There is no need to keep trying to defend it. You are the only one who cares. No one is going to consider this movie commercially unsuccessful no matter how hard you try. But if it will let you sleep at night, please carry on telling us how a movie that is being well received by audiences and is going to make $800ish million is a loser. 

Get your facts straight, sport.

I never said this movie would "tank". I cited tracking that turned out to be spot on- $65MM opening North American-  the WORST of any DCEU movie BY FAR.

Some may call that "tanking". Scott Mendelson of Forbes, resident DC fanboy and perennial apologist called its opening weekend multiplier "frankly lousy".  But if it helps YOU to sleep at night believing a movie with an ASM 2 style budget and marketing making ASM 2 level money (so far) is a success, be my guest.  (thumbsu We all saw how that turned out.  

-J.

7 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Always hated Aquaman. 

I enjoyed the film for what it was. The director wasn't paid enough because the film is a visual masterpiece. 
Jason M. isn't going to win an acting award and I am okay with that. Mera stole the film in my opinion. I was
impressed with her performance. 

Some of you are ridiculous with your demands for how the movie should have been. They are appealing to wide
audience not some comic book fan from the 70s and 80s. Be happy your characters are getting to the screen
especially DC ones. :baiting:

Never in my lifetime would I thought I would see my characters from my childhood like this on the big screen.

It wasn't a masterpiece, but it got applauded by a few when I left a few hours ago that doesn't happen much.
The after credits scene was a waste. 

Totally agree with you, Fastballspecial

8 hours ago, LordRahl said:

he's taken to posting his ignorant ramblings elsewhere as well. :roflmao:

On 6/5/2015 at 7:42 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Jason Momoa isn't a star and nobody has gone to see a movie just because of the director since Alfred Hitchcock. I can't believe anybody actually thinks this is a good idea. This movie is going to tank.

-J.

How’s that go about you never saying it would TANK, “sport”? 

9 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Get your facts straight, sport.

I never said this movie would "tank". I cited tracking that turned out to be spot on- $65MM opening North American-  the WORST of any DCEU movie BY FAR.

Some may call that "tanking". Scott Mendelson of Forbes, resident DC fanboy and perennial apologist called its opening weekend multiplier "frankly lousy".  But if it helps YOU to sleep at night believing a movie with an ASM 2 style budget and marketing making ASM 2 level money (so far) is a success, be my guest.  (thumbsu We all saw how that turned out.  

-J.

Perhaps you should get your facts straight about whatever nonsense you keep spewing, champ. 

56 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

How’s that go about you never saying it would TANK, “sport”? 

:roflmao:A post from three and a half YEARS ago??  Lol Get a life chief. 

But okay, at $65MM opening weekend, I will officially agree with Scott Mendelson at Forbes and say that that is, "frankly lousy". Which it is. Happy now? The Grinch made more on its opening weekend.  Yikes.  :eek:

Now make yourself useful and tell me which one of these facts, from the last, let's say six months or so, that I don't have "straight":

- Despite all the hype, the movie came right in on its (low side of most recent) tracking- $65MM.

- That is the worst opening weekend of any DCEU movie to date, by far.

- The Fandango presales that purportedly outsold Venom predictably, meant nothing, as it came in more than 10% below, despite having TWO extra days of previews. (The "record" presales allegedly beating Infinity Wars through Atom, whatever that is, naturally didn't mean anything either.)

- With its paltry studio split, China will not make Aquaman a financial success. 

- Too much money was spent marketing and making this movie ($350MM), creating a bar that will almost certainly be impossible to clear with it's less than stellar North American debut, akin to ASM 2.

Am I leaving anything out ?

Oh yes... I guess we will have to see if it can make another $50MM by tomorrow to hit Paperheart's (still ludicrous) projections.  ;)

-J.

17 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Anyways I thought it was going to get killed by Mary Poppins :tonofbricks:

Mary Poppins, herself, would consider that an inappropriate display of power. :rulez:

Though, it was pretty coincidental, Mary and the kids venture to an undersea kingdom in a musical number. lol 

I think the bigger story about both Venom and Aquaman is they did great box office in China. Going forward if I am one of the Hollywood head honchos I am going to make sure my super hero movies are going to do very well in China. China`s box office opens up a whole new game now. A movie could bomb or doing mediocre box office here in the USA, but could end up making huge returns now that the China audience has become a serious box office player.

Makes me wonder how big Deadpool would have been at the box office if it was allowed in China? hm

So going forward I am going to keep a eye on China`s box office before I make predictions about if a movie will be a hit or not.

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

So going forward I am going to keep a eye on China`s box office before I make predictions about if a movie will be a hit or not.

Yes indeed, especially considering the fact that Aquaman made more money in China just on its opening weekend alone than what Woman Woman was able to make in its entire theatrical run there.  :whatthe:

And I believe after its first 4 or 5 days in China, Aquaman apparently made more money than any other DCEU movie did in its entirety.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed, especially considering the fact that Aquaman made more money in China just on its opening weekend alone than what Woman Woman was able to make in its entire theatrical run there.  :whatthe:

And I believe after its first 4 or 5 days in China, Aquaman apparently made more money than any other DCEU movie did in its entirety.  (thumbsu

Here is a pretty straight forward explanation for why Chinese box office to American studios continues to be viewed largely as the icing on the cake and not the cake, even though it can make an otherwise disappointing movie appear more lucrative than it was (on paper): 

http://chinafilminsider.com/box-office-revenue-china-works/

Even Infinity Wars record holding $360MM China take yielded "only" $90MM to Disney, which would not even be a dent in its reported $350MM+ production budget (probably $550MM+ after marketing) if that represented the lion share of its box office returns. 

-J.