• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

So after one full week of release Aquaman's at $137.2 million.

That's 4.9% ahead of Justice League at the same point and 7.8% behind Wonder Woman.

No.  Aquaman had two more days of previews than Justice league totaling an additional $8MM.

Aquaman is still trailing DC's biggest flop after equivalent days in North American and remains so lopsided in China that it is still awash in red ink.

#900MMmagicnumber

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

43 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

No.  Aquaman had two more days of previews than Justice league totaling an additional $8MM.

Aquaman is still trailing DC's biggest flop after equivalent days in North American and remains so lopsided in China that it is still awash in red ink.

#900MMmagicnumber

-J.

That's not how the film industry views it.

Didn't you learn that lesson back in the Venom thread when you initially thought Thursday night previews were counted separately from Friday's grosses?

Source 1: Box Office MojoDC Comics Extended Universe - Week 1 Showdown

Source 2: Variety - Box Office: 'Aquaman' Leaves Rivals Under Water, Hits $137 Million in North America

Source 3: Deadline'Aquaman Beats Justice League' In First Week With $137M+

Source 4: Forbes - Box Office: 'Aquaman Is Swimming Past 'Justice League' and 'Man of Steel'

7 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

DCEU Showdown.PNG

Well, based upon name recognition, I would say that Aquaman is blowing the doors wide open similar to the surprise hit that GOTG was for Marvel.  

From a DC point of view, I would consider Wonder Woman to be small Tier 1 comic book character while Aquaman would be a Tier 3 character.  So, to have Aquaman even within shooting range of Wonder Woman in terms of domestic box office is a big win for DC and all comic book fans.  By the time it's all said and done, it looks like Aquaman might even have an outside chance of becoming the top grossing movie on a worldwide basis to date for the DCEU movies.  :whatthe:

Definitely no mean feat for a Tier 3 character from the DC universe.  This would be like having the Ant Man movies being the biggest box office winner out of all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies.  I certainly didn't see that happening, so big kudos should definitely go out to the Aquaman movie and the people who put it together.  :applause:

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

#900MMmagicnumber

-J.

Deadline doesn't tolerate ignorance either :roflmao: #mathhardheadhurts

Edited by paperheart

26 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

:idea:

i think some folks may simply be sore that Aquaman will kick Venom off the Top 10 list of 2018’s biggest domestic earners.

Maybe SONY should have paid James Wan to direct "Venom."  Thought they would have had decent relationship after the "Insidious" movies?  But, James does seem to bounce around the studios a lot though, Lionsgate, SONY, now Warner...

39 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Maybe SONY should have paid James Wan to direct "Venom."  Thought they would have had decent relationship after the "Insidious" movies?  But, James does seem to bounce around the studios a lot though, Lionsgate, SONY, now Warner...

He jumps around from studio to studio for the best of reasons..................

momoney.gif?w=500

Edited by kimik

5 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Yes.  He would make an amazing Venom vs Carnage movie.  Sony needs to hire him.

4 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Yes.  He would make an amazing Venom vs Carnage movie.  Sony needs to hire him.

Yes give him a turgid -script, wooden, miscast actors with no chemistry, and a $500MM budget and he might poop out a movie able to turn a small profit.  lol

-J.

15 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

:idea:

i think some folks may simply be sore that Aquaman will kick Venom off the Top 10 list of 2018’s biggest domestic earners.

won't be able to touch Venom's FAHM (fool and his money) score (WW BO/RT) of 31 which is Hall of Shame worthy. 

6 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Yes give him a turgid --script, wooden, miscast actors with no chemistry, and a $500MM budget and he might poop out a movie able to turn a small profit.  lol

-J.

So.....basically just the same formula for a second Venom movie as the first one?

Back to the actual movie. I saw it and enjoyed it. A solid 7 out of 10.

I'll be honest and say Aquaman has always been perceived by me to be a lame character. This is pretty similar to how I perceived the Sub-Mariner in the Marvel Universe. I grew up reading comics in the mid to late 80's. They actually made him cool by the casting choice of Jason Momoa who has an edge and charisma to him. If Aquaman had been cast based on his historical comic book past, they would have cast Patrick Wilson (Orm the Ocean Master in this film). Thankfully they didn't. 

Complaints-wise, the CGI of Atlantis and the various Atlantean groups was nice, but it was way too busy and overwhelming in the big battle sequence. Also. when did Aquaman become bullet-proof and Superman-strengthed (per the submarine sequence)? 

I still can’t get over the fact that grown men care whether a DC or Marvel movie is more successful than the other. I guess they also argue the PS vs Xbox and Android vs Apple topics.  Just enjoy what you enjoy and let others do the same and argue for a cause worth your time.  Not aimed at anyone.