• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

I totally agree.

2008 was the best year for comic movies.  Because we got two bonafide classics ("The Dark Knight" and "Iron Man") from both studios, that no one could argue over.

I don't remember a hearing peep about The Dark Knight grossing more, as it was Iron Man laying the groundwork for future movies, that weren't going to be "Ghost Rider."

I think back then, we were more grateful, the material was being taken more seriously.

#whysoserious

Why fighting over Venom vs Aquaman when this is solid news for the comic book movie market with both? They topped China results for standalone character films, and now Aquaman is about to surpass Venom. Gavin Feng provides China box office tracking and already predicts both will exceed $270M each.

YRQjrVX.png

And with the budget estimate at $160M to $200M, either way this film has easily achieved profitability at 3.5X to 4.4X production budget before the international update occurs today. I know - go for the 'Justice League budget' thing. (:

image.thumb.png.8ae583a3b8fa9e5a78507fd5b3f2f61c.png

Edited by Bosco685
'Feng' not 'Fang'

57 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I totally agree.

2008 was the best year for comic movies.  Because we got two bonafide classics ("The Dark Knight" and "Iron Man") from both studios, that no one could argue over.

I don't remember a hearing peep about The Dark Knight grossing more, as it was Iron Man laying the groundwork for future movies, that weren't going to be "Ghost Rider."

I think back then, we were more grateful, the material was being taken more seriously.

#whysoserious

2018 gives 2008 a run for its money:  BP - Best Picture Nomination, Spider-Verse - Best Animated Picture Win, A:IW

On 12/30/2018 at 9:39 AM, paperheart said:

$749MM WW after $120MM weekend.  1.5x multiple + $20MM Italy/Japan gets you to $950MM, 2x to $1BB+  #drowninginprofits

So.....only $151MM until break even at $900MM? :devil:

Edited by kimik

2 hours ago, kimik said:

So.....only $151MM until break even at $900MM? :devil:

Give or take.  (thumbsu Production + P & A= $350MM

China- $233M @ 25% BO= $58MM

North America- $189MM @ 50% BO= $95MM

Other Countries $329MM @ 40% BO= $132

Total Revenue To WB so Far= $285MM

Still about $65MM shy to profitability.

#stilldeepinthered

-J.

41 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Give or take.  (thumbsu Production + P & A= $350MM

China- $233M @ 25% BO= $58MM

North America- $189MM @ 50% BO= $95MM

Other Countries $329MM @ 40% BO= $132

Total Revenue To WB so Far= $285MM

Still about $65MM shy to profitability.

#stilldeepinthered

-J.

lol 

I will give you an A for your effort in defending your flawed accounting. 

31 minutes ago, paperheart said:

OFC (azz backward CFO) new accounting standard; upfront all costs and pretend there is no future revenue  #sleepswiththefishes

P & A are upfront costs.  

And

"Future revenues" also incur their own additional cost basis.

#stillinthered

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Just now, kimik said:

lol 

I will give you an A for your effort in defending your flawed accounting. 

Nothing "flawed" about it.  The splits to the studios I'm using are all known industry templates and the figures I used are all directly from box office mojo.

But thank you. :)

-J.

Definitely, not wanting to pile on Mr. Jaydog, and I sincerely mean it, but yeah there should be future revenues added to the equation as theatrical box-office really doesn't cut it anymore.

This thing should be adjusted for streaming, 4K, Blu Ray & DVD (I know... lol ) sales, cable airings, not too mention it will always be part of the DC shared universe of movies (free advertising as it will automatically appear on endcaps) for whatever viewing means as it's a licensed property of WB.

Morbid curiosity, has anyone ever tried to figure that stuff out on a movie?  That stuff actually sounds just as fascinating.

Just now, NewEnglandGothic said:

Definitely, not wanting to pile on Mr. Jaydog, and I sincerely mean it, but yeah there should be future revenues added to the equation as theatrical box-office really doesn't cut it anymore.

This thing should be adjusted for streaming, 4K, Blu Ray & DVD (I know... lol ) sales, cable airings, not too mention it will always be part of the DC shared universe of movies (free advertising as it will automatically appear on endcaps) for whatever viewing means as it's a licensed property of WB.

Morbid curiosity, has anyone ever tried to figure that stuff out on a movie?  That stuff actually sounds just as fascinating.

Well I never purported that that the theatrical was the beginning and the end of the revenue life of a movie. All I've ever said is that far too much money was spent on this movie, and as a result, it would be very difficult to turn a profit theatrically (though it may end up squeaking into the black theatrically after all).

-J.

29 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Deadline's done that for a few years:

Most Profitable Blockbusters of 2014

- Includes The Winter Soldier, Days of Future Past, TMNT, Big Hero Six and Amazing Spider-Man 2, with breakdowns.

- Includes Age of Ultron and Ant-Man

- Includes Deadpool, Suicide Squad, Rogue One, Doctor Strange, & BvS

- Includes Last Jedi, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, & Thor Ragnarok.