• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,641 posts in this topic

Tim,

White pages from that 1961 are not that common. Did it come from a special collection that doesn't have pedigree status?

Adam, the pages are absolutely blazing. I was not surprised at all when it came back with a white pages designation from CGC. I bought the book from VIA back in 98 or 99, and they did not note it as a pedigree or note anything unusual about its background (and those guys definitely would have if it had some kind of history and they could extract one more dollar for it).

I've actually had good experience with page quality on early DCs. My B&B 36 is also designated as having white pages, although oddly the 35 (both are from the Western Penn collection) is C-OW frown.gif. The Western Penn Flash 123 (not owned by me, unfortunately) also has white pages. Even other Western Penns designated as having C-OW pages (some of my Flashes) usually have pretty white covers and back covers. And many Western Penn and PC DCs from 1962 or 1963 seem to have significantly whiter covers, back covers and interior pages than their Marvel counterparts from the same era. I don't know if it was different paper stock or what, but you rarely see the kind of "soaked in oil yellow" white cover that you often see in Marvels.

I think that a lot of that has to do with impurities in the paper itself. Comic newsprint was of varying "purity" and quality even from roll to roll back then. You could get a roll of newsprint that had a higher concentration of bad chemicals than the roll right after it. It's just a theory, but I am guessing this is why we so often see two books that were stored right next to each other for decades in the same box where one book has cream pages and the next book has white pages. It's about the only explanation there is. confused-smiley-013.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif Thanks Jeff. Sorry to be such a nag, but this thread's been dead the last few days and you and gpcove both put up nice 10 cent books today in other threads, so I felt compelled to remind you guys about this thread.

I'll find something for this weekend. That darn, Pov, creating all those threads in GA!

I'll find something for this weekend. That darn, Pov, creating all those threads in GA!

893naughty-thumb.gif Priorities!

Satisfied?

791730-BraveBold21.jpg

791730-BraveBold21.jpg.62d506bc9bf1457b52cd4f2436380fad.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

792597-BraveBold18.jpg

792597-BraveBold18.jpg.81bf7c33ed0ac91a69852d73a6edd023.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Silent Knight! hail.gif Grey tone! hail.gif

Add it all up, cloud9.gif

yup - that cover has it all. i've always loved it. cloud9.gif

an Excellent copy of that issue - you don't see many of these better than fine, let alone this nice................ thumbsup2.gif

794363-AllStarWest108.jpg

794363-AllStarWest108.jpg.66d30bcf90848ff2cf0cc1b4cfd69891.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Awesome!!!!

Can't get much better than acquiring part of the gorilla grodd trilogy.

This cover image was swiped from an earlier DC comic. If someone were to know which one, I'd be very impressed.

798416-Tomahawk66.jpg

798416-Tomahawk66.jpg.7c5f4c49b1c81ef7f655120070250b86.jpg

Edited by adamstrange