• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,641 posts in this topic

I love your copy of Adventure 210. That's in pretty high grade. What grade would you give it? I just bought one last summer though it was only a 3.5 or 4.0. Still I feel I was lucky to have found one. I'm always looking to upgrade so let me know if you ever want to sell yours. Great Book!

hard to say for sure. My heart says 9.0. But Borock might easily say 7.5! or less!! Its such a tough book I might get a slight bump...

hail.gif the Flash.

makepoint.gif Wrong forum. This is SA.

gossip.gif Nice looking copy, however!!!!

After the fabulous posts from aman, this might seem like a letdown but it's a book I love: Kubert cover wrapped around Drucker, Heath, and Infantino stories. Newsboy copy.

1048995-OFF25.jpg

1048995-OFF25.jpg.6fa920ffe1c3a8e03444c6aa62840e50.jpg

Awesome collection of Showcase and B&B!!!!!!!!!! hail.gif893whatthe.gifacclaim.gifcloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

and i echo your comments about simultaneously proving and disproving JC's theory on the major HG SA raw hoards. your books are just lovely but are probably more in the VF or so category, for the very reason you've expounded on - they were sold as 9.0's or so according to the customs/grading of the day, but don't quite live up to today's stricter grading standards. (and i'm thinking it likely that there are "way more" collectors like you out there, that never bothered to upgrade, since they belived they already had copies that would be too tough to upgrade.....................)

don't get me wrong - i'd love to have any/all of those in my collection......... thumbsup2.gif

heres Showcase 1-15. As before they all 'look' sharp, but arent nearly gonna be highest graded copies...

Ive upgraded a few of these since then...

1047688-Showcase1-15.jpg

Love your Showcase collection & that Brave & the Bold collection!!! hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

by "popular" demand.... Brave and Bolds 1-24 (the #1 was elsewhere and could not make it to the photoshoot!)

1048313-BB2-8.jpg

Aman, thanks for sharing! These are some of the nicest comics I've ever seen posted on these forums -- and in duplicate!?!?!

foreheadslap.gif

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

No let tdown there, one of my favorite covers.

After the fabulous posts from aman, this might seem like a letdown but it's a book I love: Kubert cover wrapped around Drucker, Heath, and Infantino stories. Newsboy copy.

1048995-OFF25.jpg

i did some quick research and don't believe that i posted these covers in this thread before. if i did, sorry...........

these are a few of my favorite Star Spangled War Stories 10 centers from Sid's circa 1960-61;

1136263846852_SSWS_001.jpg

Here's a Batman I just received today:

82264928_65904c0849_o.jpg

I absolutely love that color scheme! Funny how differently Marvels and DCs were colored.

BTW.....Robin looks a little.....shocked. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here's a Batman I just received today:

I absolutely love that color scheme! Funny how differently Marvels and DCs were colored.

BTW.....Robin looks a little.....shocked. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I prefer this Curt Swan Batman cover over the Moldoff.

A friend of mine that grew up in the 50s and 60s remarked that he didn't buy very many Marvels because they looked so dull in comparison to the DCs. It wasn't until FF 3 came out that he could bring himself to start buying them and it was for the stories, not the covers.

Marvels always lookd rough and scratchy, almost crude, compared to the clean polished DCs. To this day, I look at the earliest superhero Marvels and cant believe how bad the inking was. Faces all crooked, very little detail, almost clumsy brushwork.

A friend of mine that grew up in the 50s and 60s remarked that he didn't buy very many Marvels because they looked so dull in comparison to the DCs. It wasn't until FF 3 came out that he could bring himself to start buying them and it was for the stories, not the covers.

DCs and Marvels had very different philosophies when it came to covers.

DC was into creating teaser covers that caused the reader to go "What the?! How is Superman going to prevent his identity from being discovered? Gee, I better buy this book to find out how he gets himself out of this predicament!" Word balloons were rife on covers.

Marvel was always more about the cover as dramatic pin-up-worthy art. Over time, word balloons virtually disappeared from their covers.

Clearly, the Marvel style won out, and those 50s and 60s DC covers seem hopelessly quaint (or campy, or goofy) today. In all honesty, much as I love those DCs, if I collected OA with a focus on covers, I would primarily go after Marvel covers for sheer artistic value, with a few exceptions such as B&B 34 and 36.

DCs and Marvels had very different philosophies when it came to covers.

DC was into creating teaser covers that caused the reader to go "What the?! How is Superman going to prevent his identity from being discovered? Gee, I better buy this book to find out how he gets himself out of this predicament!" Word balloons were rife on covers.

Marvel was always more about the cover as dramatic pin-up-worthy art. Over time, word balloons virtually disappeared from their covers.

Clearly, the Marvel style won out, and those 50s and 60s DC covers seem hopelessly quaint (or campy, or goofy) today. In all honesty, much as I love those DCs, if I collected OA with a focus on covers, I would primarily go after Marvel covers for sheer artistic value, with a few exceptions such as B&B 34 and 36.

All the B&B Hawkman covers are cloud9.gif

I'm not a fan of a lot of the Marvel Kirby covers -- love his stories, but I think he was somehow constrained on quite a few of them perhaps due to editorial input. I think he did many of his best "poster-like" covers for JIM/Thor -- those would be spectacular.

In all honesty, much as I love those DCs, if I collected OA with a focus on covers, I would primarily go after Marvel covers for sheer artistic value, with a few exceptions such as B&B 34 and 36.

All the B&B Hawkman covers are cloud9.gif

I forgot Gil Kane. Many of his GL covers are superb (not #1, unfortunately), and some of his Atom covers are decent. JLA seems to have been cursed with mediocre to below-average covers, except for #2 which I think is superb.