• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,655 posts in this topic

893applaud-thumb.gif I'm always astounded in seeing a ten cent DC in NM. With the way these books were handled back in the day, coupled with the lack of air conditioning, dehumidifiers, bags and backing boards, these puppies are simply freaks of nature. Freaks, I say!

And that`s why I love NM books, because they are indeed freaks of nature for having survived in this kind of condition. It has actually made me very cynical about things like bags and backing boards. The pedigrees show that storage environment (cool and dark) and not moving the books around is vastly more important than any other storage factor, including bags and boards.

Edited by tth2

Tim, awesome JLA. Mine sharing which issues you have of this run? Your PC copies are incredible. Do you see much difference in the PC's and just the regular, ordinary 9.4's that you have?

I`ve posted all my JLAs to the Registry, so you can check out what I have (and don`t have) there. Interestingly, the thing that really impresses me about PCs beyond their high grade is their superb QP (quality of production). The owner clearly had a good eye for picking out the best centered copies. You rarely see miswrapped/miscut PCs. To be honest, in a slab, at least, I don`t think the difference between a PC 9.4 and a non-pedigree 9.4 is significant. The only PC that I purchased raw was the JLA #24, and I have to admit the gloss and general eye appeal did not blow me away as much as some of the raw Western Penns I`ve owned, which positively dripped.

Edited by tth2

893applaud-thumb.gif I'm always astounded in seeing a ten cent DC in NM. With the way these books were handled back in the day, coupled with the lack of air conditioning, dehumidifiers, bags and backing boards, these puppies are simply freaks of nature. Freaks, I say!

And that`s why I love NM books, because they are indeed freaks of nature for having survived in this kind of condition. It has actually made me very cynical about things like bags and backing boards. The pedigrees show that storage environment (cool and dark) and not moving the books around is vastly more important than any other storage factor, including bags and boards.

I agree. However, youre not really downplaying the role of bags and boards.. The HG collections were stored nocely and left untouched for decades perhaps. Buts its really just a question of WHEN the books were disturbed and stored in some kind of bag or mylar after sitting around untouched but not cared for. Whether that was from 1960 til 1970 when it was placed gingerly in a Bell bag. Or if they sat for another 20 years unmoved and made it into a mylar for th efirst time.

Its the UNTOUCHED factor that trumps the bags, board, mylar storage that is the secret to the preservation of NM 60s comics (or any comic. That and picking a NM off the racks.

signed: Aman the obvious who lately has spotted so few occasions to comment around here lately that he enjoyed writing this long essay of nothingness to clarify a small point of some interest.

Its the UNTOUCHED factor that trumps the bags, board, mylar storage that is the secret to the preservation of NM 60s comics (or any comic.

I think you're overlooking storage environment, which is equally important as not being moved. Put pristine books in an attic in the hot and humid southeastern U.S. (particularly pre-airconditioning), and even if you never move them, they will come out looking like brown pulp. It's no coincidence that so many great pedigrees came from cool and dry areas. The only major pedigree that I can think of from the south is the Larson collection, and to be honest I still can't figure out how the books survived so well sitting out by a barn in those hot Texas summers.

signed: Aman the obvious who lately has spotted so few occasions to comment around here lately that he enjoyed writing this long essay of nothingness to clarify a small point of some interest.

27_laughing.gif

The only major pedigree that I can think of from the south is the Larson collection, and to be honest I still can't figure out how the books survived so well sitting out by a barn in those hot Texas summers.

I was discretely reminded that Lamont Larson was not from Texas. foreheadslap.gif Which just further underscores my point that NO major pedigree is from the south.

The only major pedigree that I can think of from the south is the Larson collection, and to be honest I still can't figure out how the books survived so well sitting out by a barn in those hot Texas summers.

I was discretely reminded that Lamont Larson was not from Texas. foreheadslap.gif Which just further underscores my point that NO major pedigree is from the south.

confused-smiley-013.gifThe "Recil Macon" collection came from Abilene, TX.

Thanks, I always get Recil Macon and Lamont Larson mixed up. How's the page quality of the Recil Macon books?

Hey Adamstrange,

In reference to that sweet Newsboy Our Fighting Forces -

That is just an outstanding copy. Such a tough book. I have heard that there were some nice war books in the Newsboy collection.

Forgive my crassness, but as a collector of these books (albeit at about a grade lower than this) how did you come by it, and what was the price range?

Oh! How are the pages?

Shep

Edited by bigfiver69

Thanks, I always get Recil Macon and Lamont Larson mixed up. How's the page quality of the Recil Macon books?

Never seen one in person, but reportedly average for GA. There was also the "Crescent City" - small pedigree with most of the early WDC&S that Geppi bought instantly from Bill Ponsetti/Matt Nelson that came out of New Orleans. Those were supposedly bright white pages.

I love the way those greens look on the DC covers from that era. Just like Brave & the Bold #1. There's something about the deep purple that Marvel used on its silver age covers and the greens that DC used on books like this that are just striking when you look at them.

River City -- Kubert story cloud9.gif

1033712-FrontierFighters7.jpg

There was also the "Crescent City" - small pedigree with most of the early WDC&S that Geppi bought instantly from Bill Ponsetti/Matt Nelson that came out of New Orleans. Those were supposedly bright white pages.

Now THAT is very interesting. I'd love to know the history of that collection, particularly how they were stored in the pre-air conditioning days, to see how they maintained their whiteness in the hot and very humid Louisiana weather.

Hey Adamstrange,

In reference to that sweet Newsboy Our Fighting Forces -

That is just an outstanding copy. Such a tough book. I have heard that there were some nice war books in the Newsboy collection.

Forgive my crassness, but as a collector of these books (albeit at about a grade lower than this) how did you come by it, and what was the price range?

Oh! How are the pages?

Shep

They war books I've seen generally show the same range of grades as the Showcase runs. General range of 9.0 to 9.4, with a number of 9.6s and 8.5s. Prices for them when they first were sold were ridiculously cheap -- don't have the exact figures, but you can probably get an approximate idea by going with double guide from 1992. I could have bought them when they first came out, but, no, I wanted some dopey super-hero so I told Goldman not to bother me with "war" books. foreheadslap.gif

I love the way those greens look on the DC covers from that era. Just like Brave & the Bold #1. There's something about the deep purple that Marvel used on its silver age covers and the greens that DC used on books like this that are just striking when you look at them.

The deep, rich greens, blues, purples, and reds of 50s DC drive me nuts. I bought the book because of the green on the cover and the Kubert interior story.

I could have bought them when they first came out, but, no, I wanted some dopey super-hero so I told Goldman not to bother me with "war" books. foreheadslap.gif

So when did you start collecting war books then? You certainly seem to have made up for lost time.