• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,655 posts in this topic

I could have bought them when they first came out, but, no, I wanted some dopey super-hero so I told Goldman not to bother me with "war" books. foreheadslap.gif

So when did you start collecting war books then? You certainly seem to have made up for lost time.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To be more precise, I was collecting Sgt. Rock, Enemy Ace, and Haunted Tank -- I'd read reprints of those as a kid and since they were character-centric, I was chasing them. What I had zero appreciation for was the hundreds of other great war stories tucked in those 50s DC war books. I saw Goldman's catalog with the Newsboys again a few years ago and I think some of the really cool ones must have be 40 to 80 bucks. And it's not like I've had a chance at multiple copies of those issues since them. For the most part I've only ever seen one -- except in the few cases where there was a second one looked away in the hands of a long-time collector.

I probably started going for more of the earlier 50s war books, including DC, in about 94.

There was also the "Crescent City" - small pedigree with most of the early WDC&S that Geppi bought instantly from Bill Ponsetti/Matt Nelson that came out of New Orleans. Those were supposedly bright white pages.

Now THAT is very interesting. I'd love to know the history of that collection, particularly how they were stored in the pre-air conditioning days, to see how they maintained their whiteness in the hot and very humid Louisiana weather.

There was an article in CBM when they were found, somewhere around ish 30-45. I don't have them immediately accessible otherwise I'd try to find it.

after much ado and hand wringing (not to mention some subtle neck wringing by certain parties over the past few months.) I took a few snapshots of some comics to show. I hope it was worth the wait.....

A group shot first, in no particular order.... still struggling to get the perfect size and res files..

1047663-JLA-B%2BBs.jpg

no, they are not all 9.0 or better, but they looked real good when I bought them!

589a8dc8413e8_1047663-JLA-BBs.jpg.2fde1dcc42e510b4abb3f05b7dc9c9cd.jpg

Edited by aman619

heres a closeup of my Showcase 4. probably somewhere between 7 and 8, maybe ... its a poster child for everything I moan about on the boards since I got here, about how this was such a killer copy for years in my collection, but now that I see 9.2s and 9.4s it pales in comparison. Every time I look at it, I see more and more little things that make me go grrrrr.

1047698-Showcase4fr.jpg

1047698-Showcase4fr.jpg.d3c026e945dd21995d12b709b6267016.jpg

Edited by aman619

I dont want to come off as one of those mint freaks who care only for perfection. Those of you who dont have copies and hear me complaining, dont worry, I am very happy to have these copies..... or any copies at all. Im with you. But as I say, its a rude awakening to have thought you were buying the best or near the best, and not to try to upgrade over the years because you felt you couldnt.... and later on realize the truth.

okay, on with the show..

heres a closeup of my Showcase 4. probably somewhere between 7 and 8, maybe ... its a poster child for everything I moan about on the boards since I got here, about how this was such a killer copy for years in my collection, but now that I see 9.2s and 9.4s it pales in comparison. Every time I look at it, I see more and more little things that make me go grrrrr.

1047698-Showcase4fr.jpg

Still a fabulous book, aman. And knowing your careful buying habits you probably bought at a low enough price not to feel too badly about the deal.

Thanks for the pics -- all are AWESOME and definitely liven up the thread.

You definitely "put up"enough to shut me up. I won't be bugging you about posting for at least a week. 27_laughing.gif