• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
15 15

6,625 posts in this topic

And no collection is complete with Private Strong.

PS1001.jpg

PS2001.jpg

Wow, nice books! Where did ya score those beauts?

Those would look so great next to some nice copies of FIGHTING AMERICAN -- PRVT. STRONG is almost as rare at FA in that grade too!

Bill

While we are waiting for Cheetah for more info on the run of Space War beauties, I have a late GA WW. This is low grade, but I found it at a very affordable price a few years back.

Wonder Woman # 83 July 1956 (second to last GA WW)

wonderwoman83.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

While we are waiting for Cheetah for more info on the run of Space War beauties, I have a late GA WW. This is low grade, but I found it at a very affordable price a few years back.

Wonder Woman # 83 July 1956 (second to last GA WW)

wonderwoman83.jpg

I wouldn't consider that low grade for an Atom Age Wonder Woman...

Cheetah,

Were ALL these books from that Kentucky collection you recently scored???

Please, you just HAVE to tell us all the gory details about how you came upon these beauts!

Bill

Cheetah has an unbelievable collection...

It's really more of an interesting story for my LCS than for me.

There was a small grocery in Covington, KY, during the 1950s that closed down around 1960. The owner just closed the doors and left everything sitting there for years including a number of comics. Somewhere down the road, he decided the comics were going to be worth some money so he put them in a box in his basement. My LCS owner hears of all this and is interested in the collection but they guy doesn't want to sell. Eventually, he passes away and his wife and son come into possession of the collection. Somewhere in all of this, one set of JLA 1-3 is sold off to a local collector.

One day, the lady comes into the LCS to sell some of the books. Rumor was she had an issue with gambling and needed some money for the slots. The collection did not contain any of the major titles but had some ridiculously high quality copies of a number of Atlas and Charleton books. I think mostly the stuff that was left on the shelves when the place closed down.

As an aside, it looks like the place closed down just a year before Marvel broke out. Can you imagine the collection if it had FF 1-17 and ASM 1-17 instead of Tales to Astonish?

Anyway, my LCS buys everything she brings in including one of the world's greatest collections of Mad Magazines. I think the LCS still has all of those.

I walk in the door the next day and Paul, the owner, tells me to look at what he's gotten. I'd never been into the pre-hero books but, damn, talk about beautiful stuff. So I bought everything he had. The lady came back and I bought most of that, too. I made a couple of trades for better looking copies and ended up with just a few duplicates.

The lady proceeds to come back every week or two with fewer comics and more Mads and the LCS continues to buy. A lot of the stuff is lower quality than the original lot. I've got to add, the lady was very cavalier with the books. The ToS #1 I got is a 9.0 but would have been a 9.4 if she hadn't nicked the top edge by waving it around right there IN THE LCS!!! Christ almighty that still kills me.

The lady still comes back every now and then with a big stack of Mads and a single comic. Last one I saw was a TTA 18 with a huge cover crease. I almost bought it just to keep the run going but it was just too bad a copy.

I am of the opinion that there is a ToS #2 still in the basement somewhere as I got 1 and 3-14 or so. I've got dibs on it when it comes in.

Some of the titles in the run included:

Tales to Astonish

Tales of Suspense

Journey into Mystery

Strange Worlds

The Double Life of Private Strong

Midnight Mystery

Black Magic

The Adventures of the Fly

Gorgo

Konga

Unknown Worlds (which are all water spotted in the interior covers)

I think I've posted a number of these but not all. I don't think I ever did any of the Flys. I've gotten a lot graded and most came back 8.5-9.4. I did have some of them pressed to take out the handling damage the lady inflicted. 50 years in a box with no damage and she tries to trash them getting them to the LCS. (She carried them raw in a grocery bag.)

Here are some I don't post very often.

BlackMagicV74FC.jpg

MidnightMystery1FC.jpg

BlackMagicV75FC.jpg

Konga1FC.jpg

Gorgo1FC.jpg

StrangeWorlds2.jpg

UnknownWorlds2FC.jpg

UnknownWorlds4FC.jpg

I should mention that the JLA 1-3 that got sold to a local collector came back around to the LCS. Those are the three single highest graded copies of each book and they sold to Pedigree for $100k. I got to look at them before they got graded.