• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
15 15

6,625 posts in this topic

AdventureComics220.jpg Here's the third (I think) Krypto cover. I thought this would grade higher as I relied on the dealer's evaluation of the grade. But he was nice enough to make a generous adjustment. Still a pretty copy in terms of the colors. I thought "steel city" would enjoy it.

AdventureComics220.jpg Here's the third (I think) Krypto cover. I thought this would grade higher as I relied on the dealer's evaluation of the grade. But he was nice enough to make a generous adjustment. Still a pretty copy in terms of the colors. I thought "steel city" would enjoy it.

Beautiful looking book. (thumbs u From the angle shown it's hard to see why it would "only" been graded 6.5.

Beautiful looking book. (thumbs u From the angle shown it's hard to see why it would "only" been graded 6.5.

I thought it would grade higher, too. And so did the dealer who sold it to me. As people have been observing on the boards, CGC has toughened up on their assinged grades.

Here is something you dont see everyday...well maybe some of you do.... Here is a 10cent comic.....and here are the printing plates that printed it. I think its pretty neat.

IMAG0218.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0219.jpg

IMAG0224.jpg

Edited by Thanos_7575

I certainly do enjoy seeing your copy. I enjoy seeing all your books!

What a great issue Adventure #220 is. I love Superboy's "freefall" pose.

Not sure if I have shown an Adventure #220 before, so here's a copy I bought many years ago:

AdventureComics220.jpg

P8250324.jpg

Well, what do you know. I actually possess a higher graded Silver Age DC than "steel city" though admittedly I would trade his collection for mine in a New York minute!

Great copy! Yes, my LL#6 is more humble, as I'm sure many of my books are compared to yours. It is the Oregon copy though.

P8250324.jpg

Well, what do you know. I actually possess a higher graded Silver Age DC than "steel city" though admittedly I would trade his collection for mine in a New York minute!

Great copy! Yes, my LL#6 is more humble, as I'm sure many of my books are compared to yours. It is the Oregon copy though.

Actually this is the Nova Scotia copy. However, when I submitted it, I just submitted it an ordinary Mylar. I thought I had lost the original Mylar when I bought the book from Stephen Fishler at SDCC. A few months ago, however, I found the "Nova Scotia Mylar". One day I'll bring the original mylar with me to SDCC and hope CGC will acknowledge that the book comes from the Nova Scotia pedigree.

Edited by Stevenrams

I certainly do enjoy seeing your copy. I enjoy seeing all your books!

What a great issue Adventure #220 is. I love Superboy's "freefall" pose.

Not sure if I have shown an Adventure #220 before, so here's a copy I bought many years ago:

AdventureComics220.jpg

Beautiful copy!! I'm also certain that it would grade at least an 8.0--probably higher. Great copy to own. I also own an Adventure 214 the second appearance of Krypto. I'll post it tomorrow. It came back from CGC at the same time the 220 did. Not quite as nice but these very early Krypto appearances are very hard to locate even in mid grade!

scan0049.jpg

Here's the 214 raw. But it's now slabbed. I don't have a raw scan of the back cover, but you can guess the grade based on the front cover alone if you like. Like I said, it's now encapsulated. In my estimation the 214 and the 220 are more difficult to locate than the 210, Krypto's first appearance. What do you all think?

SLR

scan0049.jpg

Here's the 214 raw. But it's now slabbed. I don't have a raw scan of the back cover, but you can guess the grade based on the front cover alone if you like. Like I said, it's now encapsulated. In my estimation the 214 and the 220 are more difficult to locate than the 210, Krypto's first appearance. What do you all think?

SLR

There certainly are more #210s for sale now than ever before. Not high grade copies of course, but ebay usually has a few on offer in the 4.0/5.0 range.

#220 seems scarcer overall than #214 but all three first Krypto books remain tough.

The situation with Adventure comics from 1954/55 is that some issues consistently appear to be more readily available than others. Whether this is to do with print runs or not I don't know. Regarding #210, maybe key books can appear more available because more are put up for sale just because of their higher value? This certainly seems true with issue #247 in relation to numbers around it which generally turn up less frequently.

scan0049.jpg

SLR

I think this is a very nice and colorful looking issue. The slight halo around some of the edges plagues virtually every #210 in existence as well as many #214s. Does not always affect PQ though of course it can do.

This book is a CGC 7.5 likely cream to off white pages.

Edited by steelcity

scan0049.jpg

SLR

I think this is a very nice and colorful looking issue. The slight halo around some of the edges plagues virtually every #210 in existence as well as many #214s. Does not always affect PQ though of course it can do.

You're spot on with the PQ but it only got a 5.5! There is some tanning on the back cover, but I thought it would get at least a 6.0 or 6.5.

scan0049.jpg

SLR

You're spot on with the PQ but it only got a 5.5! There is some tanning on the back cover, but I thought it would get at least a 6.0 or 6.5.

I'm sure you did expect a higher grade. Maybe my grade was a little on the generous side but I don't want to be harsh and I thought based on the front cover scan it looks more in the VF- to FVF range. Whatever CGC grades it as this book is a very nice copy with few visual flaws.

When CGC started and throughout 2000 and 2001 I never even used to consider a book graded below 7.0. Now, I am much more open to judging books on an individual basis and there are some very acceptable looking books in the CGC 5.0 range even if high grade is the usual collecting area. Also, as we all know, some books never seem to show in higher grades.

Your book also illustrates another point. We all will have raw books in our collections that we assume are higher grades than the CGC reality would in fact be. But this does not make the books any less nice whatever grade they are labelled as.