• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
15 15

6,625 posts in this topic

scan0049.jpg

Here's the 214 raw. But it's now slabbed. I don't have a raw scan of the back cover, but you can guess the grade based on the front cover alone if you like. Like I said, it's now encapsulated. In my estimation the 214 and the 220 are more difficult to locate than the 210, Krypto's first appearance. What do you all think?

SLR

I think this is a very nice and colorful looking issue. The slight halo around some of the edges plagues virtually every #210 in existence as well as many #214s. Does not always affect PQ though of course it can do.

This book is a CGC 7.5 likely cream to off white pages.

You're spot on with the PQ but it only got a 5.5! There is some tanning on the back cover, but I thought it would get at least a 6.0 or 6.5.

I'm sure you did expect a higher grade. Maybe my grade was a little on the generous side but I don't want to be harsh and I thought based on the front cover scan it looks more in the VF- to FVF range. Whatever CGC grades it as this book is a very nice copy with few visual flaws.

When CGC started and throughout 2000 and 2001 I never even used to consider a book graded below 7.0. Now, I am much more open to judging books on an individual basis and there are some very acceptable looking books in the CGC 5.0 range even if high grade is the usual collecting area. Also, as we all know, some books never seem to show in higher grades.

Your book also illustrates another point. We all will have raw books in our collections that we assume are higher grades than the CGC reality would in fact be. But this does not make the books any less nice whatever grade they are labelled as.

Don't get me wrong I still like both books and probably wouldn't upgrade them at this point. Just the same the dealer, did make an adjustment since he sold them to me at FMV at higher grades. And he was very generous with his adjustment. They are hard-t-find-books and I really enjoy them. I'm looking to upgrade my Adventure 210. It's a raw 4.0.

SLR

yes that Lois Lane #6 Nova Scotia copy is spectacular! Thanks for sharing it SLR! I was with you at SDCC when you talked Fishler down on his asking price for the book. I was really surprised he lowered his asking price! :applause:

P8250324.jpg

Well, what do you know. I actually possess a higher graded Silver Age DC than "steel city" though admittedly I would trade his collection for mine in a New York minute!

Great copy! Yes, my LL#6 is more humble, as I'm sure many of my books are compared to yours. It is the Oregon copy though.

Some beautiful books being posted here lately. Both copies look particularly nice! :applause:

P2110381.jpg

A recent purchase from board member MCMiles. Been looking a long time for this issue since reading Michelle Nolan's article in an issue of CBG. It's the last issue of the title and the cover is a homage to the movie "Forbidden Planet" one of the best Sci-Fi movies of the fifties. Interestingly the movie was based on Shakespeare's "The Tempest" which I read and presented an oral report on in a Shakespeare class in college. Great cover--IMHO! There are only two copies in the census and both are 6.5s

I just watched the Blu-ray version of Forbidden Planet and, while I've seen it several times before, it has never looked better and was still very entertaining.

P2110381.jpg

A recent purchase from board member MCMiles. Been looking a long time for this issue since reading Michelle Nolan's article in an issue of CBG. It's the last issue of the title and the cover is a homage to the movie "Forbidden Planet" one of the best Sci-Fi movies of the fifties. Interestingly the movie was based on Shakespeare's "The Tempest" which I read and presented an oral report on in a Shakespeare class in college. Great cover--IMHO! There are only two copies in the census and both are 6.5s

I just watched the Blu-ray version of Forbidden Planet and, while I've seen it several times before, it has never looked better and was still very entertaining.

Indeed one of the better films of the era--sort of a thinkin person's science fiction film. Glad you enjoyed it and the Katy Keene book. The book is a real keeper for me.

Thanks,

SLR

No, I bought it from a board member who was selling a lot of raw pre-hero Brave and Bolds. I think he claimed it was a higher grade, maybe a 7.0 but CGC has toughened up their grading so I'm satisfied but I wish it came back higher but at least it presents well for the grade.

TheManyLovesofDobieGillis1.jpg

Here's a 10-center you don't see very often especially in this grade with beautiful and vibrant colors. Of course if you're not a baby-boomer, you'll probably gasp "Who Cares". Well, besides Dwanye Hickman as Dobie the stars on the TV sit-com featured Bob Denver (pre Gilligan,) Tuesday Weld and Warren Beatty. Took me a long time to find a high-grade copy.

TheManyLovesofDobieGillis1.jpg

Here's a 10-center you don't see very often especially in this grade with beautiful and vibrant colors. Of course if you're not a baby-boomer, you'll probably gasp "Who Cares". Well, besides Dwanye Hickman as Dobie the stars on the TV sit-com featured Bob Denver (pre Gilligan,) Tuesday Weld and Warren Beatty. Took me a long time to find a high-grade copy.

A really classy book with beautiful colors!