• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 Green Eggs Grading Contest- Round 3

178 posts in this topic

I generally don't whine about what books are posted in these grading threads. I like the fact that not all of them are easy. I will go on record as saying this though... books with tanning/halos should not be part of this contest without a picture of the interior of the covers. It is not possible to tell how bad the tanning is from the outside and CGC will hammer tanning at a certain point. That point is indiscernible when you don't have THE key piece of info (which is an interior pic) rantrant

Well I guess I just whined about a book posted :(

Like I said :whistle:

Books with tanning should have a pic of the interior otherwise it's a dart throw not an educated guess

I generally don't whine about what books are posted in these grading threads. I like the fact that not all of them are easy. I will go on record as saying this though... books with tanning/halos should not be part of this contest without a picture of the interior of the covers. It is not possible to tell how bad the tanning is from the outside and CGC will hammer tanning at a certain point. That point is indiscernible when you don't have THE key piece of info (which is an interior pic) rantrant

Books with tanning should have a pic of the interior otherwise it's a dart throw not an educated guess

whiner :baiting:

whiner :baiting:

I know I know :sorry:

you gotta figger in your calculations that much tanning might have int tanning

Fantastic Four%2046_1_small.jpg

Fantastic Four%2046_2_small.jpg

I'm learning as well, guys. This book may very well be a re-sub candidate, but it certainly tells me that tanning on the covers should not be taken lightly. Other than that, the book is really sharp and presents like a 7.5/8.0, IMHO. When I subbed it, I was hoping for an 8.0.

When was it submitted? Can you post the graders notes?

Fantastic Four%2046_1_small.jpg

I'm learning as well, guys. This book may very well be a re-sub candidate, but it certainly tells me that tanning on the covers should not be taken lightly. Other than that, the book is really sharp and presents like a 7.5/8.0, IMHO. When I subbed it, I was hoping for an 8.0.

When was it submitted? Can you post the graders notes?

I cannot post the graders notes, sorry. :(

The tanning on the Fantastic Four #46 drops an otherwise 8.0 book to a 6.0. While the foxing/spotting on the Avengers #57 in Round One drops a 9.2/9.4 book to an 8.0.

With my guesses, I underestimated the tanning in the FF by grading it as 8.0 and overestimated the BC foxing on the Avengers by giving it a 7.0.

While I see the drop in grade on the FF due to tanning and paper quality (though 6.0 is more severe than I expected), I have a harder time accepting the VF grade on the Avengers book with visible foxing spots all over the BC. It was assigned a higher grade that I expected.

2c

For reference:

Fantastic Four #46 back cover:

Avengers #57 back cover:

Avengers%2057_2_small.jpg

The thing that had me initially grading the FF a 6.5 was not just the tanning but the spine/edge wear that goes pretty deep in the cover.

There was also significant color loss on the bottom of the book (check out the black bar below "The Seeker") but I couldn't tell it it was production-related or reading wear.

One thing to remember comparing that WF and the FF is that the WF is a VERY tough book and often times a book like that will be graded closer to the GA scale.

And this bizarre inconsistency between books/eras/scarcity is what I hate about CGC.

The thing that had me initially grading the FF a 6.5 was not just the tanning but the spine/edge wear that goes pretty deep in the cover.

There was also significant color loss on the bottom of the book (check out the black bar below "The Seeker") but I couldn't tell it it was production-related or reading wear.

You're right, and also the colour loss running down the the top of the spine, visible on the back cover.

I went higher on the FF after grading the Avengers two points lower: a little more lax after being too harsh. It got me all discombobulated! :ohnoez: