• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Using GPA to price Raw high 9.6/9.8 grade books

143 posts in this topic

I agree that it isn't a good business model. I just fail to see why this upsets people. Especially to the point of starting a thread about it.

Open thread... look at prices of raw 9.6/9.8 books.... Laugh... go do something else (shrug)

Hardly worthy of getting your panties in a bunch. As someone else said, this sort of thing generally weeds itself out over time.

Does anyone buy a book like that? I assume you would either buy the book graded or buy the raw cheaper.

But people seem to do it all the time on E-Bay. You see a sweet looking book sell for $300 that is graded by the seller a 9.8 when a CGC 9.8 is also going for $300. Makes no sense to spend that kind of money on a raw book when a certified graded book is the same price.

you are forbidden from using the word "sweet" further this year. Have have exceeded the # of "sweet" alloted for the year. Please refrain from using this word until 2016.

You can using

delicious

luscious

syrupy

honey

thank you

And "hot". :baiting:

What about dude? Kinds of goes with sweet.

I would assume you start a thread like this when you send a low ball offer to someone because your thinking you could make a few bucks flipping it and they turn you down so you start a thread instead of just thread crapping the original for sales thread (thumbs u

Does anyone buy a book like that? I assume you would either buy the book graded or buy the raw cheaper.

But people seem to do it all the time on E-Bay. You see a sweet looking book sell for $300 that is graded by the seller a 9.8 when a CGC 9.8 is also going for $300. Makes no sense to spend that kind of money on a raw book when a certified graded book is the same price.

you are forbidden from using the word "sweet" further this year. Have have exceeded the # of "sweet" alloted for the year. Please refrain from using this word until 2016.

You can using

delicious

luscious

syrupy

honey

thank you

And "hot". :baiting:

What about dude? Kinds of goes with sweet.

To answer the first question: because there are people who know what a 9.8 book looks like. GPA is for slabs....which contain comic books in a certain condition.

The slab isn't the reason the book has value...the book is. The slab is just the most acceptable opinion on the market.

Will someone sell a self-graded 9.8 for what it would sell for in a slab? 999 times out of 1,000, no. But then, there are people who will happily pay a 9.8 slab price for a 9.6 book that was gift graded. Who really got the short end of the stick there....?

The REAL issue is people trying to sell raw books as "this will press to a X.X, so I'm asking for the post-press price."

That's just a bit beyond the line.

Yes, I'm looking at you, Angelo. meh

but there comes a point where you need to be called out for such non-sense.

Interesting.

hm

Are you referring to Angelo the dealer in socal by me?

Yes, I'm referring to the SoCal dealer named Angelo, who sets up at all the local shows, and rips people off by having them sort through his inventory for him, but not paying them for their time.

lol Angelo...he sells pgx books as if they're cgc priced books

I agree that it isn't a good business model. I just fail to see why this upsets people. Especially to the point of starting a thread about it.

Open thread... look at prices of raw 9.6/9.8 books.... Laugh... go do something else (shrug)

Hardly worthy of getting your panties in a bunch. As someone else said, this sort of thing generally weeds itself out over time.

seriously. Not everyone operates with best business practices. And many best business practices are quite subjective, and subject to many other factors. And many of those people are quite successful.

When I go to the supermarket and see that tomatoes here are more expensive than tomatoes down the street, I don't think too much about it. I don't try to get into the psyche of the tomato pricer of that that supermarket. Its just a price, just a choice. If I have the money and less time to go to another store, then I might just buy it here. If value is important to me, then I might go to another store. If I'm drunk and stupid, I might buy 10 expensive tomatoes. The point is as always....who gives an eff. Its your comic, your store, your tomatoes, you don't owe anyone an explanation about your pricing strategy, the market will ultimately decide. If you don't like the price, there's more tomatoes and deadpools down the street, no one is stopping you from going there.

seriously. Not everyone operates with best business practices. And many best business practices are quite subjective, and subject to many other factors. And many of those people are quite successful.

When I go to the supermarket and see that tomatoes here are more expensive than tomatoes down the street, I don't think too much about it. I don't try to get into the psyche of the tomato pricer of that that supermarket. Its just a price, just a choice. If I have the money and less time to go to another store, then I might just buy it here. If value is important to me, then I might go to another store. If I'm drunk and stupid, I might buy 10 expensive tomatoes. The point is as always....who gives an eff. Its your comic, your store, your tomatoes, you don't owe anyone an explanation about your pricing strategy, the market will ultimately decide. If you don't like the price, there's more tomatoes and deadpools down the street, no one is stopping you from going there.

Like I said I am seeing the numbers of this behavior increasing in our hobby is my point.

People are just becoming even more lazy than before.

To answer the first question: because there are people who know what a 9.8 book looks like. GPA is for slabs....which contain comic books in a certain condition.

The slab isn't the reason the book has value...the book is. The slab is just the most acceptable opinion on the market.

Will someone sell a self-graded 9.8 for what it would sell for in a slab? 999 times out of 1,000, no. But then, there are people who will happily pay a 9.8 slab price for a 9.6 book that was gift graded. Who really got the short end of the stick there....?

The REAL issue is people trying to sell raw books as "this will press to a X.X, so I'm asking for the post-press price."

That's just a bit beyond the line.

Yes, I'm looking at you, Angelo. meh

but there comes a point where you need to be called out for such non-sense.

Interesting.

hm

That's funny. I was recently at a convention and with hopes of picking up a few books I have been after for my PC. One being a TEC 411 in HG. Asked to see the raw book and it was priced and graded by the seller as a 9.4 So quickly I ask how they got that grade as I could not see it above a 8.5 by CGC standards. The response was "I think it would press to a 9.4" I could not even respond and walked away. Pricing a book at what it may press up to is something I don't really pay attention to because I'd rather play it safe.

I respect the generations before me that molded the hobby so if an old timer who pays no mind to CGC prices a true raw 9.6 right around a CGC 9.6 that is his choice. I respect the dues older sellers have paid. Yet I'd still pass on it but some who prefer raw may thoroughly enjoy that book.

Like I said I am seeing the numbers of this behavior increasing in our hobby is my point.

People are just becoming even more lazy than before.

I don't think it's necessarily laziness. I think it's knowing your market. You sell it at CGC 9.6 and someone buys it for CGC 9.6 price. You sell it raw at 9.6 and there are enough gamblers in this hobby right now that someone is going to think "I can press it and maybe get a 9.8 out of it". Suddenly you're getting full graded price without having to pay to get it graded. You shouldn't be upset with the seller for getting as much as he can for his comic. Your ire should be directed at the speculators who enable this.

You can use

delicious

luscious

syrupy

honey

thank you

hm

With high grade raws, I use GPA as a BASIS for pricing.

If I have a raw book, which I am damn sure would fetch a CGC 9.8, I would post it up at 50-60% of slabbed 9.8 GPA figures.

To ask 100% of GPA for a unslabbed book, not matter how dead on of a 9.8 candidate it is, is absurd.

If I have a raw book, which I am damn sure would fetch a CGC 9.8, I would post it up at 50-60% of slabbed 9.8 GPA figures.

To ask 100% of GPA for a unslabbed book, not matter how dead on of a 9.8 candidate it is, is absurd.

hm

You don't think it is more absurd to give away 40-50% of potential value...?

If the book is $1,000 in 9.8, and you know beyond any shadow of a doubt it's a 9.8, would you price it at $500-$600?

If so, please send me your selling list of 9.8s, and what kind of grade guarantee you offer.

:popcorn:

same for your 9.9's?

You're very charitable

same for your 9.9's?

^^

hm

If the book is $1,000 in 9.8, and you know beyond any shadow of a doubt it's a 9.8, would you price it at $500-$600?

If so, please send me your selling list of 9.8s, and what kind of grade guarantee you offer.

I think both are fairly absurd, actually.I was also speaking from a buying perspective, as in I would be willing to pay 50-60% of GPA for dead on raw 9.8 or 9.6 candidates.....

I'll happily pay 50-60% of GPA for a copy of spot on 9.6 raws of Batman Adventures 12, for instance.Or New Mutants 98.Likewise, I'd pay 50-60% of GPA for a dead on 9.8 candidate of BA 12 or NM 98.I think pretty much anyone on this board would pay those figures.

As far as selling raw 9.6 to 9.8 candidates......I would only do this with books that have GPA averages of up to $150 in 9.8.

In other words, books that are likely not worth paying grading/fast pass/shipping fees on....mostly this applies to "hot" books which may not retain a higher value in a couple months.

Case in point:

Iron Man 304 and 305.....which I would happy to sell at 50% of GPA for spot on 9.8 candidates.They have dropped considerably in 9.8, since the movie hype died down and while I doubt they will drop all that much further, I have plenty of other books which take priority on having graded.

I am not about to try to sell a 9.8 spot on candidate of a book like Preacher # 1, BA 12, NM 98 at 50-60% of GPA.

hm

I think both are fairly absurd, actually.I was also speaking from a buying perspective, as in I would be willing to pay 50-60% of GPA for dead on raw 9.8 or 9.6 candidates.....

I'll happily pay 50-60% of GPA for a copy of spot on 9.6 raws of Batman Adventures 12, for instance.Or New Mutants 98.Likewise, I'd pay 50-60% of GPA for a dead on 9.8 candidate of BA 12 or NM 98.I think pretty much anyone on this board would pay those figures.

As far as selling raw 9.6 to 9.8 candidates......I would only do this with books that have GPA averages of up to $150 in 9.8.

In other words, books that are likely not worth paying grading/fast pass/shipping fees on....mostly this applies to "hot" books which may not retain a higher value in a couple months.

Case in point:

Iron Man 304 and 305.....which I would happy to sell at 50% of GPA for spot on 9.8 candidates.They have dropped considerably in 9.8, since the movie hype died down and while I doubt they will drop all that much further, I have plenty of other books which take priority on having graded.

I am not about to try to sell a 9.8 spot on candidate of a book like Preacher # 1, BA 12, NM 98 at 50-60% of GPA.

fd6.gif

Of course, the real question is why is the market so ridiculous that it pays $800 for a 9.8, and $400 for a 9.6.

That's the real question.

It's silly madness.

The problem is, you can take that a lot further. Why would a 9.4 be 5 times an 8.0? or 15 times a 6.0?

From a rarity standpoint the prices make sense, but from a utility standpoint they are insane. 25 years ago very few people were really paying much attention to the difference between a 9.4 and an 8.0. The 9.4 might have gotten a premium, but it wasn't multiples of the 8.0. From a collector standpoint, they are both real nice copies for your collection. From a supply standpoint though, the 9.4 is much rarer. It's just no one really cared much about the difference.

The question in my head is why do they care now? Why are people willing to pay $100 for a 9.8 of a book that they would leave in the dollar box in 6.0?

It's a pretty incredible change in mentality that really threw me for a loop when I got back into collecting again in the mid-2000s