• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you haggle on price?

53 posts in this topic

If the price is fair, I tend not to haggle.

If the asking price has the potential for re-negotiation, I just ask for the 'Best Price' from the seller.

With someone like Steve Donnelly, I just laugh to myself and leave it at that.

So I try to haggle too (when the price is fixed). Mostly I use auctions, at least then I know I'm not paying more for a piece than other persons would pay.

wait, isn't that the definition of an auction?! :)

in an auction, you're paying the most that anyone will pay for something.

Well it's the most unless a dealer buys it, marks it up and sells it.

NOTE: this does not work with Albert Moy :)

I realize that... now lol My last piece, the Batman #670 Ra's Al Ghul variant cover, was from Moy

Guess what matters is not if I won or lost, but that I tried hm:facepalm:

I stand corrected :) It does work with Albert :gossip: Then again, I thought the price was close to spot on, so I did not try to haggle much - maybe more like asking if it's ok I keep a few coins for the bus ticket home after I paid for the piece hmlol Well that was not quite true, I did get much more than that - but I guess you get the idea ;)

I would never attempt to buy a piece from someone's CAF marked "not for sale", and then proceed to try and haggle. And I get offers like that so often, but it still shocks me.

As with everything regarding one of a kind original art, my approach to price and haggling has some generalities but every situation is unique and I act by what feels appropriate. I've haggled with dealers, I've haggled with individuals. I've haggled with artists even, when it feels right. But it depends on the relationship I have with each. I feel like all my best pieces come about via relationships with the art community rather than just tossing money about. Money always speaks, but sometimes connections can reach farther and into places that the money just isn't the be all end all. As such, I try to be respectful and keep an eye towards how I come across in each and every sale or purchase. There are consequences and reputations at stake for everyone.

When haggling, I often don't come in with a low offer straight off the bat. I ask the seller if they are at all flexible or if there is wiggle room. It gives both parties an out. Reading between the lines, I am letting them know the price is higher than I'd like to pull out the wallet for, and giving them the opportunity to continue a negotiation or snip it off at the outset. No one usually gets offended, and it keeps things superficial at first. Then I take things from there. Sometimes based on current market values, and sometimes just based on my own valuation. What's their piece worth to ME. Sometimes a balance of the two.

And to go the other way, every once in a while I have paid someone more than they were asking. Either because I thought they were under where they should be, or because it is worth more to ME. It seems a silly thing on the surface, to surprise someone with extra money they weren't asking for. To just give it away. But it just is my way of showing appreciation. I don't do it for any reason than it makes me happy to do so. Sending someone I like out to dinner with their family, or giving them a little bonus. But the knock on effect is that it has on occasion led to me being contacted or getting a heads up about other pieces first.

Like I said... relationships. I consider many people I've met via the Comicart-L, and CAF some of my best friends.

As for dealers, art galleries and directly with artists. It depends.

For the run-of-the-mill resellers of comic art, I assume at least some minor wheeling and dealing will be part of the process. Depends on how much I'm spending, with whom, and how many deals we've done in the past. After buying and even selling to someone over the years, I can get a feel for what their thresholds are and not risk embarrassment or offense. More often if something is just way too high, I don't bother. I've seen a lot of people that just suck at knowing how to choose their battles. It's like their eyes are too big and their checkbook too small to ever meet. And yet they try and talk people down to half. Really? Has that ever worked? Mostly I see artists and dealers that talk to each other, warning each other about "that guy". A major wasting of everyone's time.

For art galleries, artist reps, and directly from artists... I always assume a fresh to market work is a fixed price, and yes, offering less is at best, mildly insulting. Now I could see if buying in bulk, say a whole book or a large number of new pieces, that it wouldn't hurt to ask the old standby of "Would you be willing to give any kind of discount if...". When asked politely and with humility, it's an innocuous question. And one they are often willing to work with. BUT if a work is old, and by old, I mean been on a webstore or in a portfolio for sale for years, and it hasn't sold over and over again. But it's something I've been interested in and personally looked at on a number of occasions, I'm usually not too afraid to ask them if they'd be flexible on it's price as well. Generally I try to have an idea of where I need to be to take the piece home, but I usually let the seller offer up a discount first, and then go from there. I don't ever want anyone I deal with to feel like I've taken advantage of them or talked them into something. I'd much rather as much as possible that everyone is happy, because you never know who's going to have what down the line.

and speaking of... there are some dealers, artists and so on that I don't deal with. Some folks are just sharks and some are just touched in the head. I try not to waste my time.

-e.

Great post.

A huge negotiation tool is utilizing cash for payment in full.

No time payments, checks, or credit cards.

I have found this to be true many times, especially doing in-person deals at Cons. Cash always speaks louder than any other negotiating tool ... as long as you're willing to stick to your guns on the price you want.

A huge negotiation tool is utilizing cash for payment in full.

No time payments, checks, or credit cards.

I have found this to be true many times, especially doing in-person deals at Cons. Cash always speaks louder than any other negotiating tool ... as long as you're willing to stick to your guns on the price you want.

Agreed. I think that you should be ready to buy if you start discussing price as the seller should get a good sense that you are ready to buy if an agreed price is reached. I have scored a few pieces at a decent price reduction by accompanying my offer price with the fact that I can and am willing to pay immediately if the offer is accepted.

I would never attempt to buy a piece from someone's CAF marked "not for sale", and then proceed to try and haggle. And I get offers like that so often, but it still shocks me.

As with everything regarding one of a kind original art, my approach to price and haggling has some generalities but every situation is unique and I act by what feels appropriate. I've haggled with dealers, I've haggled with individuals. I've haggled with artists even, when it feels right. But it depends on the relationship I have with each. I feel like all my best pieces come about via relationships with the art community rather than just tossing money about. Money always speaks, but sometimes connections can reach farther and into places that the money just isn't the be all end all. As such, I try to be respectful and keep an eye towards how I come across in each and every sale or purchase. There are consequences and reputations at stake for everyone.

When haggling, I often don't come in with a low offer straight off the bat. I ask the seller if they are at all flexible or if there is wiggle room. It gives both parties an out. Reading between the lines, I am letting them know the price is higher than I'd like to pull out the wallet for, and giving them the opportunity to continue a negotiation or snip it off at the outset. No one usually gets offended, and it keeps things superficial at first. Then I take things from there. Sometimes based on current market values, and sometimes just based on my own valuation. What's their piece worth to ME. Sometimes a balance of the two.

And to go the other way, every once in a while I have paid someone more than they were asking. Either because I thought they were under where they should be, or because it is worth more to ME. It seems a silly thing on the surface, to surprise someone with extra money they weren't asking for. To just give it away. But it just is my way of showing appreciation. I don't do it for any reason than it makes me happy to do so. Sending someone I like out to dinner with their family, or giving them a little bonus. But the knock on effect is that it has on occasion led to me being contacted or getting a heads up about other pieces first.

Like I said... relationships. I consider many people I've met via the Comicart-L, and CAF some of my best friends.

As for dealers, art galleries and directly with artists. It depends.

For the run-of-the-mill resellers of comic art, I assume at least some minor wheeling and dealing will be part of the process. Depends on how much I'm spending, with whom, and how many deals we've done in the past. After buying and even selling to someone over the years, I can get a feel for what their thresholds are and not risk embarrassment or offense. More often if something is just way too high, I don't bother. I've seen a lot of people that just suck at knowing how to choose their battles. It's like their eyes are too big and their checkbook too small to ever meet. And yet they try and talk people down to half. Really? Has that ever worked? Mostly I see artists and dealers that talk to each other, warning each other about "that guy". A major wasting of everyone's time.

For art galleries, artist reps, and directly from artists... I always assume a fresh to market work is a fixed price, and yes, offering less is at best, mildly insulting. Now I could see if buying in bulk, say a whole book or a large number of new pieces, that it wouldn't hurt to ask the old standby of "Would you be willing to give any kind of discount if...". When asked politely and with humility, it's an innocuous question. And one they are often willing to work with. BUT if a work is old, and by old, I mean been on a webstore or in a portfolio for sale for years, and it hasn't sold over and over again. But it's something I've been interested in and personally looked at on a number of occasions, I'm usually not too afraid to ask them if they'd be flexible on it's price as well. Generally I try to have an idea of where I need to be to take the piece home, but I usually let the seller offer up a discount first, and then go from there. I don't ever want anyone I deal with to feel like I've taken advantage of them or talked them into something. I'd much rather as much as possible that everyone is happy, because you never know who's going to have what down the line.

and speaking of... there are some dealers, artists and so on that I don't deal with. Some folks are just sharks and some are just touched in the head. I try not to waste my time.

-e.

Great post.

Sure is.

yeah, related to the be ready to pay comment. One thing that bugs me as a seller is people adding on additional terms after a deal has been reached.

So 2 related examples are after haggling and agreeing on a price, the buyer then says he needs a few weeks before he can pay, or needs to do time payments. Revealing that during negotiations would be better.

The worse thing is when I agree to a price with a buyer.. then I don't hear from him again!

Malvin

The worse thing is when I agree to a price with a buyer.. then I don't hear from him again!

Happened to me earlier on in the year when I was having my big sell-off.

Had a collector contact me about my Blue Beetle promo painting and we agreed upon a price/time-scale for payment (other guy requested some time to build-up funds).

Collector was also a big David Lloyd fan and asked me to release some of the artist's early work I own - as an extra to the BB deal.

Said okay to all this . . . then a few months after the deadline for promised payment had passed, and I'd heard nothing further, I sent him a reminder (well, two, actually).

Silence!

Not a biggie to me, but it would have been nice to get some kind of response, even if, "Sorry, I can no longer pursue this." (shrug)

Said okay to all this . . . then a few months after the deadline for promised payment had passed, and I'd heard nothing further, I sent him a reminder (well, two, actually).

Silence!

Not a biggie to me, but it would have been nice to get some kind of response, even if, "Sorry, I can no longer pursue this." (shrug)

Exactly. Things come up. I understand that. An acknowledgement or explanation would be nice. A non-reponse just makes me put the person on the blacklist.

Malvin

Exactly. Things come up. I understand that. An acknowledgement or explanation would be nice. A non-reponse just makes me put the person on the blacklist.

Malvin

That's why I really like the CLink bidding system - when you make a bid you fully commit to a purchase including going through the credit card transaction, so there's no way to bail out if the seller accepts your bid. Of course such a system may seem too aggressive to some dealers and may scare of too many tire kickers, but it secures that a seller gets the payment 2c