• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Infinity War vs Infinity Gauntlet ???

29 posts in this topic

I have never read these stories my entire life, but I find myself very interested in the "Cosmic Books" right now, Warlock, Captain Marvel etc etc. Anyways I figured I should read Infinity Gauntlet, as it is a classic. Read it in a night, and didn't think there was anything really special about it. It was good, but nothing earth shattering, and I felt it just ended really quickly. Fast forward to last night and I read Infinity War as well as the Warlock and the Infinity Watch crossovers. From what I have heard my entire life, I figured that was how good Infinity Gauntlet was supposed to be, and that Infinity War was the inferior story, with Infinity Crusade even being worse.

Infinity War had a better back story, more surprises, a cliff hanger climax. I think it's a far superior stand alone story.

What do you think, is Infinity Gauntlet something that if I had read 25 years ago, would have a very soft spot for? Does anybody think Infinity War is better as a story? And is Infinity Crusade any good?

Jim

Jim!

Check out the link in my sig line. Infinity Gauntlet is my all-time favorite mini. You need to read THANOS QUEST first and then the INFINITY GAUNTLET and then WAR. Also, before WAR read the first issue of WARLOCK and the INFINITY WATCH (first issue only - the series sucks but the first issue is a carry over from IG).

+1 to Ryans comment, but I'd also add all the Silver Surfer issues (34+) as a MUST read prerequisite for the Infinity Gauntlet. The story won't be nearly as enjoyable without Thanos Quest and those SS issues. 2c

Hated Infinity War.

Infinity Gauntlet 3, 4, & 5 were great. 6 was pretty disappointing, but not sure there would have been a satisfying ending. They should have used Infinity Watch #1 to end Infinity Gauntlet. #1 and 2 were a lot of build-up.

Patrick

Very fortunate that I read Infinity Gauntlet when I was a kid as it completely blew my mind and got me into reading comics. The story is well ahead of its time.

I'd recommend that you start your reading on Silver Surfer 34-38, followed by Thanos Quest 1-2, and finish it on Silver Surfer 44 to 50. You should get a better appreciation of the Infinity Gauntlet story.

Infinity War is okay - I thought Magus was pretty bad . However, I did not even finish reading Infinity Crusade - I believe I stopped after they introduced the Cosmic Egg!

I always thought that Infinity Gauntlet was OK but overrated. Infinity War wasn't bad except for the silly doppelgänger element of it.

I loved SS, Thanos Quest, and Ig. I was really disappointed int IW after that I did not even pick up IC.

Imo they should make a Thanos Quest movie before the release of the next Avengers movies.

I read both late last year (being my second time reading Infinity Gauntlet, first being when it came out) I read the Infinity Gauntlet omnibus which also had many crossovers including the Silver Surfer issues and Thanos Quest. I loved it, more then I did when I first read it. I thought it was a well written, fun read.

After I was finished I decided to order the Infinity War tpb. I was not impressed with this story at all. The art was good but I just didn't like the story. I don't see me reading it again....ever.

I have never read Infinity Watch or Infinity Crusade.....should I? hm

I was fortunate enough to pick up the storyline from SS 34 on. I actually didn't get to read Thanos Quest until after Infinity Gauntlet because they were pretty pricey back in the day if I remember correctly. All that said, I loved the build up to Infinity Gauntlet in the SS books because you knew the mess was going to hit the fan when Thanos revealed himself to earth's heroes. For many books you only had Surfer and occasionally Drax that really knew what was going on. Thanos was mainly just messing with them but it wasn't until issue 50 and Infinity Gauntlet 1 that it really opened up.

I definitely think the slow build up over months led to the excitement behind IG.

But having re-read all of it a few times, I prefer Thanos Quest the most because it is such a personal trip with Thanos in his quest for power. Yes, I would have liked it to be longer but I think the point was that the current gem holders were really no match for Thanos at all. Or... maybe it was a budgetary thing with Marvel.

Lastly, in my opinion Thanos Quest is to Planet Hulk as Infinity Gauntlet is to World War Hulk.

Storywise, War and Crusade were necessary when Adam Warlock expelled his good and bad selves, but they weren't good, no. A lot of the 90's Thanos stories strayed after that... Cosmic Powers, Celestial Madonna... meh.

When I was younger, I started with Silver Surfer 50. Starlin and Lim knew what they were doing, and Gauntlet was a huge payoff. To this day, the 4 is still epic. It's all about the 4. The carnage is fun, but Captain America gets his due, and the Surfer angle is still nerve-wracking.

Infinity War vs Infinity Gauntlet ???

Neither.

If you were (roughly) between the ages of 9 and 14 when you read the "Thanos Quest" and "Infinity Gauntlet" minis back in the early 1990s, I can easily imagine that you might regard them as classics.

On the other hand, I was a life-long Marvel fan in my mid/late 20s when those books came out, and regard them (then and now) as "Secret Wars III" -- i.e., a silly, crossover-bloated cash-grab (albeit it with some pretty pictures).

Starlin is one of my all-time faves (at Marvel and elsewhere), but he really wasn't on-form in the '90s. Then again, I really dig the "Darklon the Mystic" stories he did for Warren, which are not particularly well-regarded, so what do I know...y'know?

I just read Thanos Quest this year and it seemed very, very quick. Like Thanos acquired the Soul (Infinity) Gems really quickly. Thought there would be more of a "fight" from the people who originally held the Gems.

Many of the people holding the gems didn't know what they had, or even know that they worked. That was in the story. Only Thanos knew the full scope by looking into the Infinity Well.

Thano's Quest was great. Infinity Gauntlet was great. The early Warlock and the Infinity Watch was great. Infinity War had a little too much going on, even though I also like the Magus. Didn't care for the Crusade at all.

I liked Infinity Abyss and I liked Marvel the End very much.

I thought the George Perez art in the first few issues of IG was good. That's about all I liked of it. I much more enjoyed Starlin's earlier cosmic work with Captain Marvel and Warlock 2c

I was in high school at the time Infinity Gauntlet came out. The build up was great, the battle issues were pretty good and though it was awesome to see all those cosmic heavy hitters in a single comic I questioned why the hell some of the heroes and villians (other than popularity) were even in the battles that could never be a match for Thanos or play a role other than as a decoy/sacrifice but the ending, even at that age, left me feeling like I had wasted my time reading it. IDK I guess I was hoping something new, inventive, and even more powerful than the infinity gems would be introduced that put a stop to him. I'm planning on rereading it again after I read Thanos Quest to see if I feel different.

After Infinity Guantlet at the recommendation of my LCS back then I picked up Infinity Watch and agree the 1st issue is of merit and expected things to continue in excitement but honestly there really was no purpose to having a comic based on guarding of the stones if nothing really ever happened. It was really boring. I ended up cancelling the series.

Curious about Infinity War and Crusade but they sound as bad as Infinity Watch.

I haven't re-read any of these books in a long time, but Warlock and the Infinity Watch 1 stills stands out to me. I vividly remember the trial of Warlock, especially when he has an 'I am God' freak-out and the Living Tribunal just resets everything back to the trial.