• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 9.0 sale

53 posts in this topic

This looks like it was graded during one of the softer old label periods. Looks more like an 8.5 to me, but is a stunning copy nonetheless.

I agree with this statement, looks more like an 8.5.

One thing that throws me off whenever I look at AF15's when buying, is the right cover.

This book almost looks close to being trimmed (shrug)

This looks like it was graded during one of the softer old label periods. Looks more like an 8.5 to me, but is a stunning copy nonetheless.

One thing that throws me off whenever I look at AF15's when buying, is the right cover.

Silver Age Marvels commonly had angled cuts, short covers and miswrapped covers. No way of telling if the book is trimmed from a scan.

As long as it stays in the 9.0 slab, it will never be trimmed or an 8.5 . I think it is a very appealing copy. Old labels in general seem to be strong. Collectors are now starting to appreciate originality. Congrats to the buyer.

Keep in mind that most AF #15s are miswrapped with front cover rolling around to the back along the spine. You often see the edge of the A in Amazing and the 12 cent circle rolled onto the spine. This one is perfectly centered along the spine (you can even see the edge of the word bubbles) so that may explain why the right edge looks different than copies that are miswrapped and thus cut at a different spot in the cover art.

DD #2 has a similar problem with the rope to the right of Electro.

As long as it stays in the 9.0 slab, it will never be trimmed or an 8.5 . I think it is a very appealing copy. Old labels in general seem to be strong. Collectors are now starting to appreciate originality. Congrats to the buyer.

Looks every bit a 9.0 to me...also very straight which is a huge plus...but what do I know I just finished like 80th in Andy's grading contest... lol

The old labels in general were graded tighter but not in all cases.

The old labels in general were graded tighter but not in all cases.

I think the old labels have been strong lately because of the originality, not necessarily because of potential. Collectors want copies that have not been manipulated for their collections.