• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check out how popular Suydam is.

137 posts in this topic

I have run into this man over a half dozen in the last 10 years. The very first time was when the very first Marvel Zombies released, only one book had come out, and when I approached him he demanded I buy a $15 hardcover to get autographs. (I did.) He even had this little stamp thing that said "official autograph", he used to certify his own autographs. since then I have met him 3 more times, and every time he demands I buy something to get an autograph. Which I refuse to do after the first time, now I stop bringing books or even asking him. At heroesCon 2013 was the last time I saw his setup, and it was a monstrosity of 5 or more tables, but they had him in the very back left corner. I honestly assumed even back then that he had claimed more tables then he was alotted because of the extra space available in the very back corner.

Talked to one of the infringed upon parties today and they were very forthcoming. Said that people have been coming up to them and give them support. The three are still all together in consecutive booths/tables. They have been told by the organizers this morning that Suydam will no longer be invited to Montreal Comic Con because of his behaviour, and will never set up there again.

Jim

Hi Folks— In response to the posts about the Montreal Comic Con this weekend and the table placement for artists at the show:

As the booking agent for a group of artists at the convention:

When we arrived for set up on Thursday, there was a snafu with the table setups for all the artists. In order to correct the problem, everyone had to be moved.

The Montreal Comic Con, much to their credit, stepped in and found solutions for all the table placements, so that all artists had their agreed upon table amounts!

(The first table relocation though for one of the guys wouldn’t work because of the size configuration— which was my fault for thinking it would work— but the show found another solution after that. Even so, that creator had to move twice... As said, a big logistical problem, that took many hours to sort.)

No changes were made though without the shows knowledge and no artist made any arbitrary changes on their own. Any artist there for set up was informed of the changes, and I'm sure others, who weren't there for set up, were told as soon as they could be told.

In the end, none of us were where we were originally supposed to be on the map. But it appears that all the fans found us anyway and everyone has had a great time at the event.

I can’t fault the show in any way. They’ve been wonderful.

So, thanks to the Montreal Comic Con for their support and willingness to fix any situations that did arise. And thanks to the fans that come to see everyone at the show.

Best,

Renee Witterstaetter

He is also notorious for swiping work. CBR used to run a Suydam swipe of the week or something like that.

Is it considered swiping to copy a still from a movie or a photograph? I can understand people not liking someone stealing a panel someone else drew, but I have no problem with someone copying a pose from a photograph, especially an obscure one.

Talked to one of the infringed upon parties today and they were very forthcoming. Said that people have been coming up to them and give them support. The three are still all together in consecutive booths/tables. They have been told by the organizers this morning that Suydam will no longer be invited to Montreal Comic Con because of his behaviour, and will never set up there again.

Jim

Hi Folks— In response to the posts about the Montreal Comic Con this weekend and the table placement for artists at the show:

As the booking agent for a group of artists at the convention:

When we arrived for set up on Thursday, there was a snafu with the table setups for all the artists. In order to correct the problem, everyone had to be moved.

The Montreal Comic Con, much to their credit, stepped in and found solutions for all the table placements, so that all artists had their agreed upon table amounts!

(The first table relocation though for one of the guys wouldn’t work because of the size configuration— which was my fault for thinking it would work— but the show found another solution after that. Even so, that creator had to move twice... As said, a big logistical problem, that took many hours to sort.)

No changes were made though without the shows knowledge and no artist made any arbitrary changes on their own. Any artist there for set up was informed of the changes, and I'm sure others, who weren't there for set up, were told as soon as they could be told.

In the end, none of us were where we were originally supposed to be on the map. But it appears that all the fans found us anyway and everyone has had a great time at the event.

I can’t fault the show in any way. They’ve been wonderful.

So, thanks to the Montreal Comic Con for their support and willingness to fix any situations that did arise. And thanks to the fans that come to see everyone at the show.

Best,

Renee Witterstaetter

Its now clear as mud what actually happened there.

Renee seems to be a good rep for her artists and should get kudos for trying to protect someone in her stable, but this does not exactly jibe with the other reports. Or the reports of it happening on a chronic basis. (Not Snoop Dogg/Dr. Dre chronic mind you.)

But sitting here in NJ I can give her the benefit of the doubt unless we hear otherwise...the proof will be what happens from here on out at other cons.

Sad to read all this. I have talked to him at a couple conventions, and enjoyed talking to him. I thought he was a genuinely nice guy.

I did always wonder why his display was so gigantic.

Then there is this part from Renee

"No photos have been doctored in any way... to suggest otherwise is rather laughable.”

The photo she's talking about is this:

CJA6G4SUsAAyBGV.jpg

Cully Hammer points out:

CJLFMZaVAAA4-A1.jpg

Others starting image searching and found:

CJLWfRKUsAAeKi0.jpg

and

CJLc4plWUAEsPnj.jpg

"No photos have been doctored in any way... to suggest otherwise is rather laughable.”

CJA6G4SUsAAyBGV.jpg

Cully Hammer points out:

CJLFMZaVAAA4-A1.jpg

CJLWfRKUsAAeKi0.jpg

and

CJLc4plWUAEsPnj.jpg

lol

CJA6G4SUsAAyBGV.jpg

Cully Hammer points out:

CJLFMZaVAAA4-A1.jpg

CJLWfRKUsAAeKi0.jpg

and

CJLc4plWUAEsPnj.jpg

I wonder how long Suydam will keep this on his website.