• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check out how popular Suydam is.

137 posts in this topic

He is also notorious for swiping work. CBR used to run a Suydam swipe of the week or something like that.

It was about a decade or so back, and I went up to his table to get him to sign a Marvel Zombies HC. Just one copy for myself. He didn't even talk to me, but his wife (or assistant, not sure) Let me know that Arthur would only be signing his recent book that he had that collected his paintings. (not sure of the book) It was awkward as I kind of just stood there with my mouth agape like "Are you serious??" I then told him he was a tool. He barely looked up but had a little smirk on his face as he pretended to be busy with something.

Fast forward several years and he came by my table at a show I was set up at. He asked if I had a selection of his work in my boxes. "Who are you?" I said this knowing full well who he was. He told me who he was and started listing a bunch of his work. He actually displays a really pleasant and polite attitude. It's weird really. I then reached into a box behind the table that I was working on that were destined for the 1/2 off boxes. I had several of his Marvel Zombies books in there. I think they were all marked at $5-$10 or something like that. To anyone else on earth those books would have been 1/2 of whatever they were marked at. The great and magical Arthur Suydam received a 20% discount off of the sticker. He was delighted and said he would give me a good deal on a commission if I wanted one. I said "No thanks, I've seen your convention sketches". He still had that fake weird grin on his face when he was walking away saying something like "thanks for the deal blah blah whatever" He never really broke that weird polite creepy character.

I've had friends who have paid way too much for his con sketches and they are complete garbage. I'm talking $100+ for scribbles that barely resemble the character he's supposed to be drawing. Basically, do not under any circumstances pay this man $100-$300 for a con sketch. They are in no way worth it. He seems like a complete sociopath to me, and that polite and happy demeanor he has is 10 levels of creepy.

I remember bringing up his zombie WTC sketch on the ASM 36 cover. Dr. Balls said that Suydams biggest offense was the poorly done scribbles he calls art and the prices he wants for it. lol

He is also notorious for swiping work. CBR used to run a Suydam swipe of the week or something like that.

Hey HEY!!! He needs all four tables to fit his lightbox, mainframe, scanner, and photoshop equipment.

Bleeding Cool picked up the story.

Read the Francis Manapul and Rachel Richey accounts.

I tried to get him to sign one of my Cholly and Flytrap books a couple of years ago. I liked that book. Now this is a time frame where Neal Adams was charging $20 a sig, and was leading the pack of non-Stan Lee fee chargers.

Suydam said I had to buy one of his $30 prints to get a signature, and that he would go ahead and sign my book instead of the print. I asked whether that was really his final answer, as it was a Cholly and Flytrap, not a Marvel Zombies book. He said "Buy the print, get the signature." I chucked my beautifully window bagged NM/M copy in the trash right in front of him.

Just curious, but why doesn't one of the artists he table-natched just tear down his stuff in front of him and reclaim their table? If it were me, that's what I'd do and dare him to try to stop me. #nosuydamizingforthisguy #Illshowhimwhoskingoftheforest

Bleeding Cool picked up the story.

Read the Francis Manapul and Rachel Richey accounts.

I tried to get him to sign one of my Cholly and Flytrap books a couple of years ago. I liked that book. Now this is a time frame where Neal Adams was charging $20 a sig, and was leading the pack of non-Stan Lee fee chargers.

Suydam said I had to buy one of his $30 prints to get a signature, and that he would go ahead and sign my book instead of the print. I asked whether that was really his final answer, as it was a Cholly and Flytrap, not a Marvel Zombies book. He said "Buy the print, get the signature." I chucked my beautifully window bagged NM/M copy in the trash right in front of him.

Ha. Good for you.

The constant negative press he gets, especially the latest batch, has to be taking a toll on his career. It doesn't sound like his behavior is much of a secret.

Penny-wise and pound-foolish.

I don't get it, if he buys 4 tables, why are they not together? Or is the issue that he doesn't buy 4 tables? If he doesn't pay for 4 tables, the organizers should tell him to cut the .

He sound like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, I just don't see how the table issue keeps happening.

Talked to one of the infringed upon parties today and they were very forthcoming. Said that people have been coming up to them and give them support. The three are still all together in consecutive booths/tables. They have been told by the organizers this morning that Suydam will no longer be invited to Montreal Comic Con because of his behaviour, and will never set up there again.

Jim

I had him do a store signing for me way back when when his Demon Dreams book first came out. He was pleasant enough to me and the fans. It seems like time and success has changed him. That's a shame.

I watched a show called film fakes where they have people think they are being in a movie but it's all bogus-the chick who was the 'star' immediately started acting like a prima donna a hole.