• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US vs UK editions

242 posts in this topic

If any U.S. dealers/collectors (or elsewhere) are truly selling U.K. edition high grade 60's Marvels at 50-55% of U.S. versions please pm me links to your website / books. :wishluck:

X-Men #1 CGC 9.2 UK auction in progress:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=29861645

Single highest graded copy on the census, possibly the highest graded Silver Age UK key period.

Wow what a stunning book

what's the story on it if we can ask?

No particular story that I know of. All I know is that it previously sold through Heritage back in 2004.

Also see Cents v Pence

This is Duncan McAlpine's excellent site to give credit!!!

thanks Ewan, that's a concise and well done site...

regards

Interesting how that linked article also says the cents/pence price disparity is about 50%, average. hm

-J.

You mean this bit?

"It remains an inescapable fact that at the moment cents copies are valued higher than pence copies. Currently, general issues of pence copies seem to be valued at about a half compared to cents copies in the lower grades. From about Very Fine condition onwards the gap tends to widen to perhaps a third of the US value. Key issues in cents in very high grades tend to be stratospheric!"

Yes. (thumbs u

And upon a second reading, the author actually puts the range of the disparity between 30-50% FMV of cents.

The article probably is a few years old, however, and the market for pence copies is indeed stronger now than it was then. Garry (the UK dealer) is not incorrect when he states that sometimes pence copies can fetch up to 70% cents FMV. I am also correct when I say they will fetch as little as 40% (particularly in higher grade, as Garry also mentioned).

Taken together, and adjusting for an improvement in the pence market since that article was written, a current weighted average of about 50-55% (versus the 30-50% when that article was written a few years ago) is not only the more likely figure, it is also the most reasonable. My 2 pence.

-J.

Still no offers in my PM box :sorry:

If any U.S. dealers/collectors (or elsewhere) are truly selling U.K. edition high grade 60's Marvels at 50-55% of U.S. versions please pm me links to your website / books. :wishluck:

Single highest graded copy on the census, possibly the highest graded Silver Age UK key period.

Wow what a stunning book

No particular story that I know of. All I know is that it previously sold through Heritage back in 2004.

Hey, this auction is really going to let us see where the market for Pence copies is right now.

Back in 2004 a 9.2 cent copy sold for $23000

And this 9.2 pence copy went for $8900

That's only 39% of the cent copy.... that's really low.

Can we agree on what the current value of a cent copy is (no recorded data in the last couple years) What's a 9.2 x-men 1 cent copy worth right now? $50,000? $55,000? $58,000?

I'm going to be optimistic and say this pence copy will sell for about 65% of the cent value.

Also see Cents v Pence

This is Duncan McAlpine's excellent site to give credit!!!

thanks Ewan, that's a concise and well done site...

regards

Interesting how that linked article also says the cents/pence price disparity is about 50%, average. hm

-J.

You mean this bit?

"It remains an inescapable fact that at the moment cents copies are valued higher than pence copies. Currently, general issues of pence copies seem to be valued at about a half compared to cents copies in the lower grades. From about Very Fine condition onwards the gap tends to widen to perhaps a third of the US value. Key issues in cents in very high grades tend to be stratospheric!"

Yes. (thumbs u

And upon a second reading, the author actually puts the range of the disparity between 30-50% FMV of cents.

The article probably is a few years old, however, and the market for pence copies is indeed stronger now than it was then. Garry (the UK dealer) is not incorrect when he states that sometimes pence copies can fetch up to 70% cents FMV. I am also correct when I say they will fetch as little as 40% (particularly in higher grade, as Garry also mentioned).

Taken together, and adjusting for an improvement in the pence market since that article was written, a current weighted average of about 50-55% (versus the 30-50% when that article was written a few years ago) is not only the more likely figure, it is also the most reasonable. My 2 pence.

-J.

Still no offers in my PM box :sorry:

:gossip: Auctions.

-J.

Wow what a stunning book

Hey, this auction is really going to let us see where the market for Pence copies is right now.

Can we agree on what the current value of a cent copy is (no recorded data in the last couple years) What's a 9.2 x-men 1 cent copy worth right now? $50,000? $55,000? $58,000?

I'm going to be optimistic and say this pence copy will sell for about 65% of the cent value.

Yeah, I'm interested to see this. I think that this may be one of the occasions that is most likely to end in a smaller percentage of a cents value because while there are many collectors who are happy to buy pence copies, how many pence buyers are willing to spend in the tens of thousands? I know of at least one.

Wow what a stunning book

There was just recently an IH 1 auction and an AF 15 pence auction, and both of those closed at around 50-55% FMV of their cents counterparts. (thumbs u

And I agree with Garry, the higher the grade, the smaller the percentages get. That X-Men will probably end at 40 percent-ish of a cents FMV.

-J.

Wow what a stunning book

There was just recently an IH 1 auction and an AF 15 pence auction, and both of those closed at around 50-55% FMV of their cents counterparts. (thumbs u

And I agree with Garry, the higher the grade, the smaller the percentages get. That X-Men will probably end at 40 percent-ish of a cents FMV.

-J.

Out of interest, Jay, where were the IH # 1 and AF # 15 auctioned through?

Wow what a stunning book

It's not easy to put a definite value on what a cents copy should be at the moment, let alone a pence copy. The last sale in 2013 was for nearly fourteen grand less than the sale that occurred the previous year. Not exactly a stable market.

With that last sale being at $48,468, I would maybe put current value at around $55,000 for a cents?

Wow what a stunning book

-J.

The IH 1 was on heritage and the af 15 I believe was on comic link.

-J.

Wow what a stunning book

-J.

The IH 1 was on heritage and the af 15 I believe was on comic link.

-J.

(thumbs u

Don't you think being able to own the HIGHEST GRADED PENCE COPY will bring out some extra bidders? It's not just a high grade. It's the highest graded copy of Xmen 1. It seems like that would make it more of a premium price.

It may be a small pool of bidders, but it only takes 2 bidders to shoot the price way up.

The "highest graded pence copy" of Incredible Hulk #1 (7.0) just sold for over $4000 less than a 6.5 cents copy and almost $2,000 less than what a 6.0 cents copy sold for.

Also the mycomicshop listing is not exactly accurate when it states that the only difference between the cents and pence versions is the big "9d" on the pence cover. That is not the only difference between the two books (as discussed earlier in this thread).

-J.

The "highest graded pence copy" of Incredible Hulk #1 (7.0) just sold for over $4000 less than a 6.5 cents copy and almost $2,000 less than what a 6.0 cents copy sold for.

Also the mycomicshop listing is not exactly accurate when it states that the only difference between the cents and pence versions is the big "9d" on the pence cover. That is not the only difference between the two books (as discussed earlier in this thread).

-J.

So what you're saying is, the most recent UK Hulk 1 (7.0) just sold for 77% of what the most recent US 7.0 sold for.

The cent copy sale is 11 months old, but still I'd have to say that's a pretty good Pence sale.

-J.

So what you're saying is, the most recent UK Hulk 1 (7.0) just sold for 77% of what the most recent US 7.0 sold for.

The cent copy sale is 11 months old, but still I'd have to say that's a pretty good Pence sale.

No. What I'm saying is that that "highest graded" Hulk 1 pence copy could not even match the sale of a cents copy that was two grades lower, and sold in the same general time frame.

Trying to compare that pence copy sale to a cents copy sale that is a year old is spurious.

Furthermore there was also a comic link auction just last month where two ST 110's were offered at the same time and the same grade (7.0). One regular American copy and the UK version.

The UK version realized about 55% of the regular American copy in that auction as well.

-J.

-J.

No. What I'm saying is that that "highest graded" Hulk 1 pence copy could not even match the sale of a cents copy that was two grades lower, and sold in the same general time frame.

Trying to compare that pence copy sale to a cents copy sale that is a year old is spurious.

Furthermore there was also a comic link auction just last month where two ST 110's were offered at the same time and the same grade (7.0). One regular American copy and the UK version.

The UK version realized about 55% of the regular American copy in that auction as well.

-J.

I don't think anyone here is saying these UK copies are going to catch their "cent brothers", but they seem to be garnishing more attention & more value.

I still think $20,315 is a pretty solid sale for the Hulk 1 7.0 UK copy.

Consider that just slightly over a year ago a US 7.0 sold for $20,500.

Consider that just 5 months ago a US 6.5 sold for $22,700.

Consider that just 8 months ago a US 6.0 sold for $16,300.

It'll be really interesting to see where this UK X-men 9.2 will finish.

The x men 1, 9.2 ("highest graded pence copy") ended at $29,422 on mycomicshop. As gadzukes accurately predicted, it essentially ended up being two bidders going back and forth at it in "extended bidding time".

The consensus seems to be that the FMV of a comparable original American cents copy is $55,000.

That would put the pence copy at about 53.5% of an original American version's value.

While that is consistent with the 50-55% FMV range that I have stated is the current average all along, that is still a very strong number for that pence copy. My personal opinion is that the buyer likely "overpaid" by about $5k, and would probably have been better off (from a purely "future value" and re-sale potential) holding out for a cents 8.5.

But either way it's a great result for the seller and certainly does reflect a big jump in price from 11 years ago.

-J.

The x men 1, 9.2 ("highest graded pence copy") ended at $29,422 on mycomicshop. As gadzukes accurately predicted, it essentially ended up being two bidders going back and forth at it in "extended bidding time".

The consensus seems to be that the FMV of a comparable original American cents copy is $55,000.

That would put the pence copy at about 53.5% of an original American version's value.

While that is consistent with the 50-55% FMV range that I have stated is the current average all along, that is still a very strong number for that pence copy. My personal opinion is that the buyer likely "overpaid" by about $5k, and would probably have been better off (from a purely "future value" and re-sale potential) holding out for a cents 8.5.

But either way it's a great result for the seller and certainly does reflect a big jump in price from 11 years ago.

-J.

I would be satisfied with that price if I was the sellerso congrats to him or her. :)

I think we're all agreed that this book would have a very small pool of potential buyers, the market for cents copies buyers who are willing to spend tens of thousands is limited and ones who would be looking for a pence copy is far more limited.

The majority of our views are down to personal opinions and interpretations of the facts, Jay but one point I would disagree particularly is that the buyer overpaid. I don't think that anyone has disputed that the pence market has increased in popularity significantly over the last few years and while I'm certain that it will never catch up to cents, I think the gap will continue to close over the course of several years which would help future resale value.

Jaydog, you really nailed it with the whole 50-55% value estimate.

I sure thought it would go at least a little higher.

I wonder if no current price data on a 9.2 made the bidders skittish to go any higher? The $29,422 is about 61% of the last cent copy sale.

If the seller is the same person who bought it in 2004 at $8913, then they should be very happy. The comic gained more than 10% every year they owned it. Not bad.

Also of note... at $29,422 this pence copy ends up being very close to the current price of a 9.0 cent copy ($32,265).