• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
3 3

1,425 posts in this topic

Here is the next Dennis giveaway: ...And Away We Go! This was published by Park, Davis & Company in 1970 and given away with a purchase of Caladryl. Now, what many people don't know is this: There were TWO free band-aids stuck to the inside back cover. If you have this without the band-aids, sorry, but it's NOT true near mint. Good luck finding one WITH the band-aids. Overstreet needs to acknowledge this fact. Mine has the band-aids, but there is no way for me to show them without damaging the comic at this time. At some point in the future I will have someone take a digital picture while I hold the cover open. In the meantime, here's the cover...

755939-giveawaywego.jpg

And finally, here's the last Dennis giveaway I know of: Dennis the Menace Coping with Family Stress. This was published in March 1981 by the National Center on Child Abuse & Neglect, Children's Bureau, U. S. Department of Health and Human Services.

755940-giveawaycoping.jpg

Did a little research today on the Dennis Giveaway's. "Dennis the Menace and Dirt" is a simple reprint of the lead story from Dennis the Menace # 36 with a new cover, crossword puzzle and photo/text feature about Hank Ketchum's ranch. It was published in1958 and re-released in 1968 (my copy is the reprint). By the way, the coloring in the original story and the reprint is identical.

The "Takes a Poke at Poison" giveaway has a more interesting history. It was reprinted many times, but judging from the scans we've seen here, at least the cover was redrawn. I'm curious if Jeffreykli could post a scan of the interior of his copy so was can see if the interior was redrawn as well (whch would, in effect, give us two different giveaways).

I've been busy making scans, so I'll have plenty to post here very soon. But my daughter is in her high schol musical this evening and I've got to drive her there.

More later.

The "Takes a Poke at Poison" giveaway has a more interesting history. It was reprinted many times, but judging from the scans we've seen here, at least the cover was redrawn. I'm curious if Jeffreykli could post a scan of the interior of his copy so was can see if the interior was redrawn as well (whch would, in effect, give us two different giveaways).

Thats actually my book that Jeff posted. Jeff posts my scans for me. He also posts some of his own. I can see why people get his scans confused thinking some of them are his when they are actually mine. Its just I don't have the knack of posting scans. Plus I have problems with AOL scan posting. Jeff has does a great job posting scans for me. Its never been a bother for him to post them. He's pretty cool about it all.

So I'll see if I can get some scans of the inside pages posted soon of the DENNIS THE MENACE TAKES A POKE AT POISON

BTW; thats the only DENNIS comic I own right now. I sold all I had a long time ago.

QUESTION; Isn't DENNIS THE MENACE used by Dairy Queen?

Dennis was a spokesman for DQ from 1972 until the end of 2002. Dairy Queen chose not to extend their option on the character, as they felt he no longer "represented an icon that todays kids could attach themselves to". For what thats worth. smile.gif

And thanks for the great scans, EVERYONE. This place is Dennis Heaven! You guys rock!

Dennis was a spokesman for DQ from 1972 until the end of 2002. Dairy Queen chose not to extend their option on the character, as they felt he no longer "represented an icon that todays kids could attach themselves to". For what thats worth. smile.gif

And thanks for the great scans, EVERYONE. This place is Dennis Heaven! You guys rock!

Thanks for the info and welcome to the board! thumbsup2.gif

Looks like this thread is hopping today!

Yes, to echo Escape, Dairy Queen used Dennis for a while. Too bad they don't use him anymore. I have a cool Dennis the Menace Dairy Queen clock in my classroom that my kids LOVE. I picked it up on eBay a couple years ago.

Speaking of eBay, I noticed a series of original cartoons on eBay that paid homage to Hank Ketcham. They were drawn for Ketcham to pay tribute to Dennis's 40th anniversary. I was struck by the reverence of these drawings and felt the respect they had for such a huge accomplishment. It's very moving that he gets so much respect from his peers and so little acknowledgement from the comic book world. I downloaded the pictures of the four auctions I saw and thought I'd share them. The first one is by Tom Armstrong, creator of Marvin:

756587-marvinart.jpg

And finally, here's one from Marmaduke creator Brad Anderson:

756588-marmaduke.jpg

Overall, I find these tributes very cool. The seller said that Charles Schulz made one also. That one I'd LOVE to see. Anyone ever seen the others? The seller mentions one with Garfield and one with B.C. as well, but none of these last three are on eBay.

And now, to # 17. This one, also from that great collection, along with #4, is in absolutely perfect condition. It looks like it came off a newsstand just this week. (and those of us who remember when comic were delivered to drug stores bound by wires that cut the books can attest - some newsstand comics NEVER looked this good):

Dennis_the_Menace17.jpg

These last 3 are the last from that spectaular find. Again, I bought these comics through a want ad I placed in the Comic Buyers Guide in the early 90's. The seller never gave me too much information about the books, whether they were copies he had collected himself or came from a collection he had purchased. I do know that he was a private collector and not a dealer and I'm fairly certain that these had to have been collected by a single indivdual as the condition on all of them is almost identical.

All right, # 18:

Dennis_the_Menace18.jpg

Now just a quick post of some Wiseman art. This is the first page of the first story to feature Margaret in the comic book. What's interesting is that her hair was colored blond. I have no idea if this was a printer's error or if they later decided to make her a redhead (leaving Dennis the only blond kid in the strip).

1st_Margaret22.jpg

By the way, this is from Dennis the Menace # 22.

Finally, this is a page from my favorite Dennis story: "Clothes Call" from Dennis the Menace # 28. The premise was sheer genuis. Dennis' mother gets tired of him always look disheviled. She gives him a bath, combs his hair and sends him outside in a suit instead of his trademark red overalls. Nobody, not even his father, recognizes him.

As a kid, I absolutely loved this story. As an adult, it still remains my favorite. Here's a sample page - this time with red-headed Margaret:

ClothesCall28.jpg

Love that balanced page composition. Anybody else want to post a page from their favorite Dennis story?

Now just a quick post of some Wiseman art. This is the first page of the first story to feature Margaret in the comic book. What's interesting is that her hair was colored blond. I have no idea if this was a printer's error or if they later decided to make her a redhead (leaving Dennis the only blond kid in the strip).

By the way, this is from Dennis the Menace # 22.

Wow, this thread exploded over the weekend! Joe, thanks for the great posts, the breadth of your collection is phenomenal. You are a true DTM completist. And thanks for your great posts, BB! The consistent miswraps on your books is really interesting, it's almost as if the miswrapped books went month after month to the store where your OO was buying his books (or he was into miswrapped books frustrated.gif), because Joe's books from the same issues don't seem to have the miswrap.

And thanks for breaking out the page showing Margaret's first appearance in the comic. I wonder if you and Joe could put together a list of key DTMs? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif