• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
3 3

1,425 posts in this topic

Now just a quick post of some Wiseman art. This is the first page of the first story to feature Margaret in the comic book. What's interesting is that her hair was colored blond. I have no idea if this was a printer's error or if they later decided to make her a redhead (leaving Dennis the only blond kid in the strip). By the way, this is from Dennis the Menace # 22.

By a strange coincidence, I just posted this past week, a scanned version of this entire issue over on the Usenet newsgroup ( alt.binaries.pictures.comics ). It is indeed strange to see Margaret with blonde hair! Also scanned recently, Dennis #'s 8, 15, 20 & 23.

I've been buying a LOT of Dennis comics this past week off eBay. My hopes are to scan them entirely so I can have a digital copy of the complete run some day. In addition to the books I have scanned, A.B.P.C. has seen dozens of complete Dennis comics posted. So one way or the other, I'll be able to read the entire run someday hopefully. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

It's great to see all this new stuff posted! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I said at one point I've got enough stuff to post here for years, and I mean it. So far we have the first 25 regular books, some great examples of artwork, the first 22 giants, the twelve hardbacks, the 5 giveaways, but we still have the rest of the 166 regular series, the rest of the 196 giant series, the friends series, the digests, the 48 paperback collections, the oddball items, the INSIDES of the comics, favorite stories, favorite art sequences, magazine articles, original art, etc. This thread is only just beginning!

I am really glad to see other high grade Dennis books. I'm glad they're out there so I can see them - and it's encouraging to know that they actually exist! I am still hopeful to complete my collection ALL high grade, especially that #1. Bill, I remember about five years ago a guy advertised the first 50 Dennis books in CBG but they were all low grade so I turned him down. Clearly this is NOT from that collection. Yours are AWESOME! I echo Tim's curiosity about the consistency of the miswrap on those comics. I have watched Dennis auctions consistently since the last century and rarely see a miswrap on those early issues.

Escape, I will check out the site you referred to. Sounds cool! I'd love to post some interior art, but ...HOW DO YOU DO THIS WITHOUT DESTROYING THE COMIC????

Another question: Does anybody besides me have a copy of Dennis and the Bible Kids #10? Doug Supila told me he doubted it existed it was so rare and that he'd never seen one. I will post it at some point. 2 have been on ebay ever to my knowledge and I have them both. I plan to email Doug and ask for his advice on how to go about pricing it for sale. If anyone can offer any advice I would appreciate it.

Some of my upcoming posts will be about the contents of the early Dennis issues and I'm thinking of posting the next 25 issues of the regular series. Thoughts? Suggestions for a next step? In some ways, I think posting interior artwork is the next step and it has already begun. I would love to do that but don't know how to do it without destroying the comic! confused.gif I have reading copies of all the early issues so would like to start with them, in order. Thoughts???

Joe

Some of my upcoming posts will be about the contents of the early Dennis issues and I'm thinking of posting the next 25 issues of the regular series. Thoughts?

893applaud-thumb.gif

In some ways, I think posting interior artwork is the next step and it has already begun. I would love to do that but don't know how to do it without destroying the comic! confused.gif I have reading copies of all the early issues so would like to start with them, in order. Thoughts???

At the risk of sounding like an unabashed fanboy, 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I think the only way to show interior art from higher grade books would be to use a digital camera, because flattening them to put on a scanner bed would damage the books.

Escape, I will check out the site you referred to. Sounds cool! I'd love to post some interior art, but ...HOW DO YOU DO THIS WITHOUT DESTROYING THE COMIC????

.... Suggestions for a next step? In some ways, I think posting interior artwork is the next step and it has already begun. I would love to do that but don't know how to do it without destroying the comic! confused.gif I have reading copies of all the early issues so would like to start with them, in order. Thoughts???

Joe

Joe, concerning the early issues (and Giants) I would be VERY hesitant to scan the interiors UNLESS they were just "reading copies". I've given up all hope of having a high grade collection; instead, Im buying cheap, FA-VG copies. I wouldn't expect anyone to lay a VF Dennis #3 or a NM Dennis Giant #6 on a scanner. No matter how careful you are, the spine will get damaged, not to mention the risk of the centerfold popping out. Ouch.

But I will gratefully endorse anyones efforts to scan complete cover to cover versions of their torn-up, ratty, creased, water-damaged, spine-rolled copies of early Dennis. *grin*

Seriously, I agree that I can see the day where ALL of the Dennis comics will be burned to a series of CD's or a couple of DVD's and be enjoyed and researched and indexed, etc.

And I will do everything I can personally do to help.

I've already started a database to begin indexing Dennis story titles/Page counts/Synopsis/reprints. Barebones right now..... but some day......

Well, at the risk of being tar and feathered or, at least burned in effigy - I've noticed no problem with scanning interiors. There are a couple of guide lines I use:

1.) Obviously if I have a lower grade copy, I'll use that one.

2.) If it's a giant, I either won't scan it or I'll settle for a scan where the comic isn't laying completely flat.

3.) I have my scanner positioned so that I can lay a comic on its bed without the rest of the comic being constricted by anything.

The interior scans you see above were completed with no significant changes happening to the grades of either issue. Now, if it was a key issue (#1) and in VF or better condition, I might not want to risk putting it on a scanner bed. But a comic on Fine or Good condition already has some bumps or bruises, and - as I said - I have yet to damage a book by using my scanner.

Keep in mind when reading all of the above, that I am a collector who would never "slab" a book. I believe comics are for reading and comics are valuable for the stories. To seal them up so no one can ever see the stories inside just strikes me as a road I don't want to go down.

Before CBG resumes his run of theregular Dennis series. I thought I'd post a couple more "special" issues. These first two are from the summer of 1961 and feature the first attempts to widen the Dennis brand beyond the regular seies and the Giants. I'm not sure which book came first because they both hit the racks that summer. They are both 100% Wiseman-Toole projects. The first is "Dennis and Joey # 1":

Dennis__Joey.jpg

I'm sure such a cover would be impossible today both because the fake death gag would be deemed to strong for today's "delicate" youth and because it shows the kids playing with toy guns.

And here's "Dennis and Ruff" #1:

Dennis__Ruff.jpg

The cover is unusual in one sense. Dennis wears blue coveralls and a red-striped shirt - the reverse of his normal colors. (Go back through the scans of regular issues. You'll find this happens every once in awhile.) Here I'm sure it was because of the choice of red as a background color. I'm not sure why the change was made on some of the other issues.

These books looked like they were going to be one-shots as future "Joey" & "Ruff" editions became part of the Giant/Bonus Magazine series. However 8 years later (1969), both these books got second issues, followed by first issues of "Dennis & Mr. Wilson" and "Dennis & Margaret."

Then Fawcett rethought the whole furshlugginer mess and brought them all under the umbrella title of "Dennis the Menace and His Friends" beginning that numbering with # 5. Again, totally confusing as there would be 6 issues (counting the "Joey" and "Ruff" #1's from 1961) before the change in numbering. The "Friends" series ran through #12 as regular-sized comics, were Giants from #12-21, back to regular size # 22-37, and finally digest-sized from #38-46.

This is just one of my favorite Dennis covers. It comes from "The Best of Dennis the Menace" #3. This was a Giant series that featured reprints from the regular series. I love the cover because it demonstrates that Dennis was one of the first comic collectors (although I don't think he could read being about 4 1/2 years old). It also is a subtle way of letting readers know the book contained reprints. And it is slightly surreal as Dennis exists in a world that publishes "Dennis the Menace" comics, even though he appears to be just an average kid.

Best_of_Dennis03.jpg

It's great to see all this new stuff posted! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I said at one point I've got enough stuff to post here for years, and I mean it. So far we have the first 25 regular books, some great examples of artwork, the first 22 giants, the twelve hardbacks, the 5 giveaways, but we still have the rest of the 166 regular series, the rest of the 196 giant series, the friends series, the digests, the 48 paperback collections, the oddball items, the INSIDES of the comics, favorite stories, favorite art sequences, magazine articles, original art, etc. This thread is only just beginning!

I am really glad to see other high grade Dennis books. I'm glad they're out there so I can see them - and it's encouraging to know that they actually exist! I am still hopeful to complete my collection ALL high grade, especially that #1. Bill, I remember about five years ago a guy advertised the first 50 Dennis books in CBG but they were all low grade so I turned him down. Clearly this is NOT from that collection. Yours are AWESOME! I echo Tim's curiosity about the consistency of the miswrap on those comics. I have watched Dennis auctions consistently since the last century and rarely see a miswrap on those early issues.

Another question: Does anybody besides me have a copy of Dennis and the Bible Kids #10? Doug Supila told me he doubted it existed it was so rare and that he'd never seen one. I will post it at some point. 2 have been on ebay ever to my knowledge and I have them both. I plan to email Doug and ask for his advice on how to go about pricing it for sale. If anyone can offer any advice I would appreciate it.

Some of my upcoming posts will be about the contents of the early Dennis issues and I'm thinking of posting the next 25 issues of the regular series. Thoughts? Suggestions for a next step? In some ways, I think posting interior artwork is the next step and it has already begun. I would love to do that but don't know how to do it without destroying the comic! confused.gif I have reading copies of all the early issues so would like to start with them, in order. Thoughts???

Joe

I sold a copy of Dennis and the Bible Kids 10 last summer/fall (?). I bought a set of 7-10 from somebody on eBay about 5 years ago and stuck them in a drawer. The 10 was almost completely spine split, if I remember, but it was an attractive book otherwise.

First of all, to anyone with the Bible Kids Series, the link Flying-D posted seemed to indicate that Al Wiseman worked on that series. I thought he left Kethcum's employ long before those. Can anyone of you with access to those books let us know whether or not Wiseman did the art? If you're not sure, just post some scans, I'm pretty sure I can spot Wiseman's style.

Secondly, there was a request for "key" issues of Dennis. I've assembled such a list. A word of warning, tho', this is just my opinion. Another Dennis fan may come up with a different list. And as I'm an unabashed fan of Al Wiseman, I can't really speak to the highlights of the book after he stopped drawing it.

First, a little publishing history:

Publishers:

Standard

Regular Series # 1-14

Vacation Special (nn)

Christmas Special (nn)

Pines

Regular Series # 15-31

Giants # 2-6 (Hawaii)

Hallden/Fawcett

(I’ve always thought “Hallden” was a holding company put together by Hank Ketchum and the Hall Syndicate for the express purpose of publishing Dennis the Menace comic books. The name, of course, came from “Hall” Syndicate and “Den”nis the Menace. I know of no other titles published by Hallden. It also looks like Hallden then subcontracted the actual printing/publishing to Fawcett.

Regular Series #32-76

Giants # 6 (Christmas)-75

Best of Dennis the Menace # 1-5

Television Special #1-2

Dennis the Menace & Joey # 1

Dennis the Menace & Ruff # 1

Dennis the Menace Fun Book # 1

Fawcett

(I, too, find it ironic that Captain Marvel’s publisher’s last venture in the comic book arena would be Dennis)

Regular Series #77-166

Bonus Series # 76-194

Dennis the Menace & Friends # 1-42 (two # 1’s, two #2’s, no #3 or 4)

Pocket Full of Fun (Digest) #1-49

Marvel

Regular Series # 1-13

Very Best of Dennis the Menace (Digest) # 1-3

All right, here's what I feel are the key issues:

Dennis the Menace # 1

Dennis the Menace # 8 – Last pre-code issue

Dennis the Menace # 22 – 1st appearance of Margaret

Dennis the Menace # 30 - Wiseman draws a story (“The Inside Story”) featuring “Al Wiseman and Fred Toole”

Dennis the Menace # 31 – 1st appearance of Joey - as a back-up strip

Dennis the Menace # 34 – 1st time Joey appears in a story with Dennis

Dennis the Menace # 37 – “Cookie Jar” newsletter replaces strip reprints on inside covers

Dennis the Menace # 39 – 1st appearance of Gina

Dennis the Menace # 46 – Last consecutive issue with Wiseman art

Dennis the Menace # 56 – Last 10 cent issue

Dennis the Menace # 69 – Last issue of the regular series to feature original Wiseman art

Dennis the Menace Vacation Special (no number) – 1st Dennis Giant

Dennis the Menace Christmas Special (no number) – 1st Dennis Christmas Special

Dennis the Menace in Hawaii (Giant # 6) – Possibly the best-selling comic of all time and the 1st of the classic “on-location” vacation specials

Dennis the Menace Goes to Camp (Giant # 9) – First Dennis comic with non-Wiseman art

I really be interested on what everybody else thinks ar the key issues.

Thanks for the list Billy! 893applaud-thumb.gif Gives me some good reference points as I go searching.

I'm amazed to see that Gina appeared so early. I had always assumed she was a 70s character introduced to add a little multi-ethnic flavor. Also interesting that Joey doesn't make an appearance until #31. I take it Mr. and Mrs. Wilson are there from the very beginning?

Yes, thanks, Bill! Great list, and many I would not have thought about. thumbsup2.gif

I notice you say Dennis in Hawaii may be the best-selling comic of all time. Do you mean "Dennis" comic, or comic-period??? I'm very curious!

This week is going to be very busy for me work-wise, so I'm not going to be posting too much till later in the week. (I'm dying to post more, but I can't!) But I do want to say that I would especially consider the following first printings keys: Hawaii 6, as you said; Hollywood 7; Mexico 8; California #?; TV Special 22, 1 and 2. I consider each first printing giant really to be a key. They were major books that took almost a year each to produce.

Flying Donut, thanks for that Dennis Bible Kids info. I will follow up with some scans of that whole series towards the weekend and will let you all know if I hear back from Doug Supila (I already emailed him). Flying Donut, what kind of price did you get on that #10?

Tim, in answer to your question, Dennis, mom, dad, the Wilsons, Ruff all appeared in the first issue. If you look at my scan of #1, I think it says just that on the case.

Keep posting, everyone! I can't wait to jump back in later in the week.

Joe

Wow! Guys, when I say Doug Supila is THE BEST COMIC DEALER IN THE WORLD, he has just proved it to me again. He replied within ten minutes of me sending him an email. Here is his take on the Dennis Bible Kids books:

Hi Joe,

Nice to hear from you again.

I have now seen only 2 Dennis the Menace and the Bible Kids series issue #10's appear on eBay in the last 2-6 years & i bid on them both.

But as they were both low grade & ended in the near $100 range, i had to stop bidding.

I have been asked at least 200 each times for #7-10, and i have never yet had a #10 in stock.

#10 remains one of the rarest Bronze Age comics of them all, perhaps as rare as Super Goof #61 (the rarest Whitman from 1980);

Realistically i think #7-9 should guide at $60.00 each and #10 should guide at $150. [but be worth more than that]

If a #10 in strict CGC NM, 9.4 copy ever hit eBay, i estimate it would bring around $1000.00.

>>> IF i had VF copies in stock, i would charge #7-9(VF $75 each), #10(VF $200) and would say that is reasonable given the scarcity.

Thanks & have a great week!

DOUG

That is The Word from Doug, the Overstreet Advisor whose market reports are the stuff of legend. The reason I contacted him is because in my decades of collecting, I have found him to be the most knowledgeable about Dennis books. Bob Beerbohm and Gene Carpenter are up there also. But Doug has an incredible inventory that includes lots of Dennis books, and I NEVER would have the collection I have today without his help. It's easy to get in touch with him since he sells under dwscw on ebay.

Joe

Okay, I'm doing some collating on the Dennis Giants. I have the information in an Excel spreadsheet and I'm transposing it into a Word document, which will be much easier to cut and paste here. May take a couple of days.

CBG - Yes, I do feel "Dennis in Hawaii" may be the best -selling comic of all-time. First of all, it came out when comics were still selling close to a million copies a month. One of the circulation figures printed in the regular Dennis comic at that time pegged the paid circulation at over 900,000 copies per month (average).

I think "Dennis in Hawaii" proved so popular that Pines went back and did a second printing that first summer it was released (1959). That would account for the "3rd Printing" header on the edition that was released in the Sumer of 1959. It was reprinted again in the summers of 1960 and 1962. Each of those reprints were still carrying the # 6 designation on the front cover. So that's four or five printings right there. Then the book was reprinted again at least three more times during the first 110 issues of the Dennis Giant/Bonus series (# 18, # 30, # 68). Each of those reprinting carried a different number, but it was essentialy the same book (although some of the later editions must be less than the original's 100 pages). I don't think you can think of a single issue of another comic, published all by itself that could ever have racked up the sales of that one book.

And the first printing of "Dennis in California" was Dennis Giant # 33.

More later...

Great posts guys!!!! Interior art, key issues, scarcity, artists, pop culture -- keep it up!!!

The way you two have been posting, it's like two long lost family members were finally re-united with the help of the forum. I don't know about anyone else, but I think **sniff** that I'm going to need a hanky.

Honestly, this is, next jbcomicbox's posts, the best stuff I've seen on the forum.

Here is the listing of contents for the first 113 Dennis the Menace Giants. Some of this list was compiled from comics I personally owned and the rest was put together from other sources (such as the Grand Comic Book Database and eBay auction listings). It is as accurate as I can make it. I would appreciate anyone correcting me if they have better information.

The numbering on these is a bit perplexing. The first two Giants had no number. Then, the third Dennis Giant was issued with a # 2 (perhaps the thought was that it was the 2nd Vacation Special). However, the second Christmas Special appeared with # 3 on the cover. There are two # 6's (owing to the change from Pines Comics to Hallden). There are also two # 95's and NO # 96. And I believe there are two # 99's. I do not own either version of # 99 that my research has turned up, so I would appreciate it if anybody could confirm this information.

Christmas Specials I presume that the Christmas Specials always featured new material. I haven't read all of them, so I don't know if they ever simply reprinted one of the specials from the past.

In Hawaii "Dennis the Menace in Hawaii" was first published by Pines Comics in the summer of 1958. Hallden reissued the book again in the summer of 1959, the summer of 1960 and again in the summer of 1962 without changing the numbering on the front cover (#6). The later editions carried a different banner at the top of the cover. 1959 said "3rd Large Printing," 1960: "4th Large Printing," and 1962: "5th Large Printing." In 1963, with the "6th Large Printing," the numbering became # 18 and all future reprintings were part of the regular series of Dennis Giants. I'll be posting a scan of the original first printing for you after I get done with this post.

For the sake of space, I have omitted the term "Dennis the Menace" which figures into the official title of most of thse issues.

nn Vacation Special (New)

nn Christmas Special (New)

2. Vacation Special (New)

3. Christmas Special (New)

4. Vacation Special (New)

5. Christmas Special (New)

6. In Hawaii (New)

6. Christmas Special (New)

7. In Hollywood (New)

8. In Mexico (New)

9. Goes to Camp (New)

10. Christmas Special (New)

11. Christmas Special (New)

12. Triple Feature (New)

13. Best of (Reprints from regular series)

14. And His Dog Ruff (New)

15. In Washington, D.C. (New)

16. Goes to Camp (Reprints # 9)

17. And His Pal Joey (New)

18. In Hawaii (Reprints # 6)

19. Christmas Special (New)

20. Spring Special (New)

21. Best of (Reprints from regular series)

22. Television Special (New)

23. In Hollywood (Reprints # 7)

24. Goes to Camp (Reprints #9)

25. In Mexico (Reprints # 8)

26. In Washington, D.C. (Reprints # 15)

27. Christmas Special (New)

28. Triple Feature (New)

29. Best of (Reprints from regular series)

30. In Hawaii (Reprints # 6)

31. All Year ‘Round (New)

32. And His Pal Joey (Reprints # 17)

33. In California (New)

34. And His Dog Ruff (Reprints # 14)

35. Christmas Special (New)

36. Spring Special (New)

37. Television Special (Reprints # 22)

38. In Mexico (Reprints # 8)

39. Goes to Camp (Reprints # 9)

40. In Washington, D.C. (Reprints # 15)

41. From A to Z (New)

42. In Hollywood (Reprints # 7)

43. Christmas Special (New)

44. Around the Clock (New)

45. And His Pal Joey ( Reprints # 17)

46. Triple Feature (Reprints # 28)

47. In California (Reprints # 33)

48. Way Out Stories (New)

49. All Year ‘Round (Reprints # 31)

50. At the Circus (New)

51. Christmas Special (New)

52. Sports Special (New)

53. Spring Special (Reprints # 36 – Partially)

54. And His Dog Ruff (Reprints # 14)

55. Television Special (Reprints # 22)

56. Tall Stories (New)

57. Pet Parade (New)

58. Best of (Reprints from regular series)

59. Day By Day (New)

60. In Hollywood (Reprints # 7)

61. Christmas Favorites (New?)

62. Fun Book (Reprints Fun Book # 1 – Partially)

63. And His I-Wish-I-Was Book (New)

64. In Mexico (Reprints # 8)

65. Around the Clock (Reprints # 44)

66. Gags & Games (New)

67. Goes to Camp (Reprints # 9)

68. In Hawaii (Reprints # 6)

69. Best of (Reprints from regular series)

70. Tangled Tales (New)

71. Highlights (??? Reprints or new)

72. In Washington D.C. (Reprints # 15)

73. Way Out Stories (Reprints # 48)

74. Mr. Wilson and His Gang at Christmas (New)

75. Christmas Special (New?)

76. In the Caribbean, Jamaica and Puerto Rico (New)

77. Sports Special (New)

78. Spring Special (Reprint?)

79. Tall Stories (Reprints # 56)

80. Day by Day (Reprints # 59)

81. Summer Funner (New)

82. In California (Reprints # 33)

83. Mama Goose (New)

84. At the Circus (Reprints # 50)

85. Fall-Ball (New)

86. Mr. Wilson and His Gang at Christmas (Reprints # 74)

87. Christmas Special (New?)

88. In London (New)

89. Spring Fling (New)

90. Here’s How (New)

91. Fun Book (Reprints Fun Book # 1 – partially)

92. In Hollywood (Reprints # 7)

93. Visits Paris (New)

94. Jackpot (New)

95. That’s Our Boy (New)

95. Summer Games (new

97. Comicapers (New)

98. Mr. Wilson and His Gang at Christmas (Reprints # 74)

99. Fiesta (new)

99. Christmas Special (New?)

100. Up in the Air (New)

101. Rise & Shine

102. And His I-Wish-I-Was Book (Reprints # 63)

103. Short Stuff Special (New)

104. In Mexico (Reprints # 8)

105. Birthday Special (New)

106. Fast & Funny (New)

107. Around the Clock (Reprints # 44)

108. Goes to Camp (Reprints # 9)

109. Gags & Games (Reprints # 66)

110. Mr. Wilson and His Gang at Christmas (Reprints # 74)

The two "no numbers" issues were published by Standard Comics, # 2 thru # 6 ("Hawaii") were published by Pines. The remainder by Hallden/Fawcett. The title changes from Dennis the Menace Giants to Dennis the Menace Bonis Magazine with issue # 75. The last square bound issue is # 57.

Great posts guys!!!! Interior art, key issues, scarcity, artists, pop culture -- keep it up!!!

The way you two have been posting, it's like two long lost family members were finally re-united with the help of the forum. I don't know about anyone else, but I think **sniff** that I'm going to need a hanky.

Honestly, this is, next jbcomicbox's posts, the best stuff I've seen on the forum.

Adam, I'm glad you're enjoying this thread. I also appreciate that you've supported it since it started. I'll admit I had my doubts anyone would even be interested cause, while I have many "comic" friends, few of them collect or even remotely interested in Dennis stuff. The dealers who have even bothered to stock Dennis stuff over the years I can count on one hand. It's great to finally have a chance to show people how cool these books are and to "talk" with others who have known it all along.

Joe