• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
3 3

1,437 posts in this topic

And now the seventh issue...But before I post the image, let me just say that these last four are some of the toughest of all Dennis issues. As a matter of fact, I would go so far as to say that these last four issues are every bit as tough to find as the first four of the regular Dennis series. I say that, because when I can count the number of copies I have EVER seen both in person and on eBay on one hand, that is a tough book! Also, these last four seem to increase in scarcity almost exponentially with each number. The condition is tough as well. These seem to have been released in religious stores and sold to churches and religious groups. Typically they were part of a recreation room where kids would sit quietly while adults attended mass, for example. Needless to say they are invariably trashed.

These last four were all released in 1980. The credits on these last issues are all to Fred Toole as the writer and Hank Ketcham for the art, and I believe this is accurate. There was some speculation that Wiseman worked on some of these, but I do not see any interior art that is even remotely similar to Wiseman's.

So, here is the seventh:

762993-b7.jpg

And finally -- drumroll! -- the tenth, possibly the toughest of all bronze age comic books. Following the scan, I will re-post Overstreet Advisor Doug Supila's comments about this comic.

762998-b10.jpg

This is a re-posting of Doug Supila's comments regarding these later issues of the Bible Kids:

"I have now seen only 2 Dennis the Menace and the Bible Kids series issue #10's appear on eBay in the last 2-6 years & i bid on them both.

But as they were both low grade & ended in the near $100 range, i had to stop bidding.

I have been asked at least 200 each times for #7-10, and i have never yet had a #10 in stock.

#10 remains one of the rarest Bronze Age comics of them all, perhaps as rare as Super Goof #61 (the rarest Whitman from 1980);

Realistically i think #7-9 should guide at $60.00 each and #10 should guide at $150. [but be worth more than that]

If a #10 in strict CGC NM, 9.4 copy ever hit eBay, i estimate it would bring around $1000.00.

IF i had VF copies in stock, i would charge #7-9(VF $75 each), #10(VF $200) and would say that is reasonable given the scarcity."

I find the following cartoon interesting in that it was the very first Dennis comic ever to appear in syndication. When Ketcham got the green light for Dennis, he completed this cartoon in October 1950, and it would be the first Dennis the Menace comic the public would ever see when the strip debuted in American newspapers on March 14, 1951. This comic is not part of the reprint series since it is a primitive Dennis and not the one we are used to seeing, nor is Henry Mitchell even remotely similar to the one Ketcham would eventually develop. But it IS a funny cartoon nonetheless and definitely of historical significance...

763472-1stdennistoday.jpg

Thanks for posting those "Bible Kids comics, Joe. Funniest had to be the "David" cover as it fit both the Bible story & Dennis' character.

Still no post on the interior art - am I correct in assuming it's not Wiseman?

New Price Guide is out. Not much in the way of increases in the Dennis books. I'm always kind of stumped with the listings for books like Dennis. As most of us have stated, these books are very hard to locate. Most comic shops have little to no inventory on hand (especially of the earlier issues). I've only seen 4 copies of #1 in my life. Joe says he's only seen a few as well. SO, if almost no copies of # 1 are changing hands during any given year, how does one establish a price for it?

For those just looking to start collecting Dennis, I would highly recommend looking for the later issues of the Bonus Series magazines that reprint the earlier Al Wiseman drawn giants. Or, if you can locate them, the Best of Dennis the Menace issues that reprint Wiseman stories from the regular series. Then, if you find that you like Wiseman's art and Fred Toole's scripting, you can begin searching for the original issues. As Joe has pointed out, eBay is your best source. I was attempting to complete my collection for over 15 years. On eBay I was able to finish my collection in about 18 months. Now, unlike Joe, I was only interested in the Wiseman issues, but diligent searching of eBay will turn up even the lower numbered issues in a given time period.

Just to keep my hand in with scans this weekend. Here's one from the back cover

of any early issue of Dennis, promoting a Denis the Menace doll:

Dennis_Doll_Ad.jpg

Anybody (Joe?) own one of these?

There was also a product I loved as a kid called "The Dennis the Menace Mischeif Kit." My parents bought it for me. It contained "gags" like fake spilled ink, etc. I'd love to get my hands on a well-preserved copy!

Hi, Bill, I went back to the Bible comics and edited in info about the interiors. I will state that I am 100% positive none of the interior art is by Wiseman. That comment on the Christian comics website seems very anecdotal to me, cause I think Wiseman's art was obvious and distinctive to me even as a young child. It's possible he helped with layouts, inking, or something, but some issues are clearly Ketcham and others clearly by an assistant.

As for Overstreet, I haven't seen a guide yet, but I'm not surprised as far as the Dennis books go. I'm glad the prices are low so I can buy low! As for the #1, Doug Supila visited the thread and told me that at first he was surprised to find that the best known Dennis #1 was only a 7.0, but then again he realized it made sense since the best he'd seen was a very good.

I will be working on that Giant / Bonus list and hope to have it done soon.

Joe

Bill, I have seen those Dennis dolls on eBay in a range of conditions. Trashed all the way up to mint in box. They can go for over $300 and for as little as $3. I don't collect Dennis stuff outside the comics and books. If anyone else does, it would be cool to see some other Dennis stuff. Please post!

Joe

"Don't get me started on overstreet. There are errors and omissions (particularly among non-superhero books) that have been in there for over a decade."

You could contribute to the Guide and the hobby by actually *telling* us about these errors and omissions and providing information that we can use to improve the book.

Thanks for visiting the thread, Arnold! The guide has been complimented and cited in here plenty, so you ARE appreciated. The accurate information in the guide regarding the confusing numbering on the Dennis Giants / Bonus Magazine is especially helpful as is the artist information.

By the way, you may have seen the Dennis on Safety promo I posted a couple days ago, the one that is not in the guide. Is the info that I posted enough to help you out with the guide? I'd love to contribute and do my part, but I'm extremely skittish about opening the cover to scan the inside cover. I could scan the back cover if you wish. If the guide ever needs to verify info or has a question about Dennis comics, please feel free to contact me as I have them all.

Joe

popcorn.gif

Adam, thanks for sharing the auction. I'm pretty surprised at the price this is fetching. There doesn't seem to be any original art associated with it but just signatures. I see Ketcham sketches go for under $50 quite often but know that Schulz's stuff outprices Ketcham's by a long shot.

Joe

very cool dennis stuff, hope to get my hands on a couple of issues for my moms birthday :P

Bullseye, I'm glad you like the stuff we're sharing. I don't know where you live, but I hope you can find those comics for your mom. I take it you are a fan AND your mom is a fan? If there is any way I can help you out, let me know.

Joe

ok, i went back looked at pictures and have answer my own question... my dennis bonus magazine series # 114 contains reprints from 1962 and later

question is whether i should go back and get some more in case i ever want to let any of my kid read 'em ... a nice thick child appropriate comic from the 70s for 50 cents is worth the price of admission

this part i don't understand about many comic shops... they'll have the expensive new donald duck books on the rack ($6.95) and archies at cover price, etc., but they'll toss nice looking gold key/whitman donald duck, deniis the menace, archies, etc. and other child appropriate books in the 50 cents/$1 bin where nobody will look at them -- they could just bag 'n board these oldies, put them on the rack for $2.00 - $3.00 and I bet they sell great to a parent looking for some comics for their kids

anyway, just a thought. comics aren't just about super stregth, spidey sense and retractable blades

Hi, Blob -

The Dennis the Menace Bonus Magazine #114 that you have is not a reprint of the original Dennis Giant #6. The original is 100 pages long and drawn from cover to cover by Al Wiseman. The 1970s revised version you have consists of the first three chapters with newer art and writing with the last four chapters of the original book added on. There is quite a jolt as the art shifts approximately halfway through the book!

You make a great point about the prices of comics. Today's young kids enjoy silver age comics immensely, I have found, and they can be found in decent mid-grade condition in dollar boxes readily, far cheaper than the new comics. It's a fact that I take advantage of all the time. thumbsup2.gif

Joe

Okay, the index project has begun!

I have sat for several hours with my collection and have gone through the first 25 Dennis Giants, page by page, twice each. I double-checked each bit of information on each page, and I own each issue, so there is no second-hand information. Bill, thanks for the list and starting us off. When this is completed, we'll have a complete index of the Giant series, then we can move on to the regular series, etc. This may be too much information for most people, but I've been wanting to do it for myself anyway for a while.

Joe

Complete Index to Dennis the Menace Giant Comic Books Part 1

#nn (no number) Giant Vacation Special

New Stories: Awaaay We Go!; All Wet; Paddling Along; Bedtime Story; Dennis Muscles In; Heat Wave; Help the Police; Screamy Mimi (non-Dennis story); Alone with Dennis; Dennis Vs. The Circus;

Dennis the Space Menace; Beware of Dennis

Publisher: Standard, Summer 1955

Notes: 100 pages, all Wiseman art, 1st appearance Screamy Mimi and Melodie

#nn Giant Christmas Issue

New Stories: Dennis Goes Christmas Shopping; UpSet Mail; Santa's Helper; Dear Santa (Dennis Letters to Santa); Punky (non-Dennis story); Up A Tree; Dennis Visits Santa Claus; Merry Christmas

Publisher: Standard, Winter 1955

Notes: 100 pages, all Wiseman art

#2. Giant Vacation Special

New Stories: They're Off!; No Children; Rough Seas; Something Fishy; Things Are Ruff at the Wilsons; Screamy Mimi Meow (non-Dennis story); Dennis in Washington; No Vacation from Dennis; Full Speed Ahead!

Publisher: Pines, Summer 1956

Notes: 100 pages with all Wiseman art. 1st Pines issue. Dennis in Washington is most likely the prototype for the future travel issue, #15.

#3. Giant Christmas Issue

New Stories: Dennis A Christmas Angel; Shopping Secrets; A Ruff Christmas; Sing a Song of Christmas A Pocket Fulla Pie; The Night Before Christmas; Too Many Santas; He's Been Here!

Publisher: Pines, Winter 1956

#4. Giant Vacation Special

New Stories: Happy Holidaze; California Here We Come; Ruffled Feelings; Let's Get the Show on the Road; Dennis and Harry Zona; It Happened in Monterey; Kid Stuff; The Big Sur-Prize

Publisher: Pines, Summer 1957

Notes: 100 pages, all Wiseman art, last story has prologue to Dennis in Hawaii

#5. Giant Christmas Issue

New Stories: I Want a Bike...; Whiskery Trickery; A Christmas Carol by Dickens (text with illustrations); Tree's a Crowd; How Not to Decorate a Tree; Dennis Christmas Cards; Santa Vs The Sandman; It's Christmas!

Publisher: Pines, Winter 1957

#6. In Hawaii

New Story told in Chapters: We're Goin' to Honey-Lulu; Dennis on Wahoo; Holy Cats; Pearl Harbor; The Garden Island; Big Island (Dennis Postcards); Finally a Maikai Luau...

Publisher: Pines, Summer 1958 first (& second?) printing; Summer 1959 3rd printing; Summer 1960 4th printing; Summer 1962 5th printing.

Notes: 100 pages; lots of games, puzzles, Hawaiian words, how to hula dance; story by Fred Toole; art by Wiseman; all printings identical except for banner on front cover that states printing number for printings 3, 4, and 5. Last Pines giant. Note in Pearl Harbor section reads, "For security reasons, we cannot publish pictures of everything Dennis saw in Pearl Harbor"; this note is in all five printings of this issue and in subsequent reprints.

#6. Giant Christmas Issue

New Stories: Dennis Acts Up; Shop-Pop-Popping; Season's Greetings; The Party Smarty; A Puppet Tale; Save Our Santa; Santa's Village; Merry Christmas! (different from story of same title from second nn)

Publisher: Hallden, Winter 1958

Notes: First Hallden Giant, 100 pages, all Wiseman art. Ad for Dennis Hand Puppets on back cover; no ads in or on other early giants.

#7. In Hollywood

New Story told in Chapters: It All Began When; Movie Groovy; Alice in Glamorland; Meanwhile Back at the Wilsons; Dennis Postcards; Timeout for Marineland; Father Knows Best; Chasen Around; Publisher: Hallden 1959 (states year only)

Notes: Inside back cover is a publicity shot with Hank Ketcham, Herbert Anderson, Jay North, and Joseph Kearns promoting the tv show. Inside cover states this is writer Fred Tooles second ever Dennis work (after Hawaii). All Al Wiseman art.

#8. In Mexico

New Story told in Chapters: La Cucaracha; Around Town; Rocky Going; Toro!; So-Chee-Milko; The Story of Mexico (text with illustrations); Dennis...the Hacienda Ender; City of Silver; Mucho Gusto in Acapulco; King of the Castle; Rockin' the Boat; Guadalajara! Guadalajara!

Publisher: Hallden/Fawcett, Summer 1960

Notes: Fred Toole writer; Al Wiseman artist. 100 pages.

#9. Vacation Special: Goes to Camp

New Story told in Chapters: Tenting Tonight on the Old Camp Ground; Rise 'N' Shine; Special Mark Trail section on Camping Tips (non-Dennis feature); Dennis's letters home from camp (not a comic); Now We're Goin' Campin' Out; Horsing Around; Now Is the Day

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Summer 1961

Notes: 100 pages. Artist unknown but is not Wiseman. Possibly had two printings during Summer 1961. Back cover is the Official Pal Club Certificate.

#10. Giant Christmas Issue

New Stories: Uncle Sam's Nephew Dennis; The Substitute Santa; Dennis's letters to Santa (no-comic); Wishbone Thinking; The Stories Behind the Christmas Carols (text); School for Santas; The Santa-Go-Round; Christmas Sur-Prize; And Finally the Big Day

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Winter 1961

Notes: 100 pages. Artist unknown.

#11. Giant Christmas Issue

New Stories: Christmas Shocking; Dennis the Little Angel; I'm Dreaming of a Nice Christmas; The Juggler Boy A Christmas Legend (non-Dennis poem with illustrations); The Christmas Tree-tement; Sing Along with Joey; And Finally the Big Day (different from story of same title in Giant #10)

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Winter 1962

Notes: Artist unknown. 1st giant to have The Cookie Jar on the inside front cover. Article tells story of a Dennis drawing made to help celebrate Christmas in Germany for U.S. soldiers stationed there.

#12. Triple Feature: 3 Books in 1

New Stories: 3 Joey Stories - Hide and Seek, Free Wheelin', Magic Money; 5 Margaret Stories - Square Dancing, School Days, The Kitty Catcher, Always a Lady; Margaret the Artist; Mr. Wilson stories - Day of Pest, Fountain Frolics, Dream House, Pals All Over; The Big Wind-Up (back cover)

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Winter 1962

Notes: Wiseman art. Book is divided into 3 sections: one each for Joey, Margaret, and Mr. Wilson, and each is introduced by a frontspiece.

#13. The Best of Dennis the Menace

Reprints from regular series: Ghost Town; Junior Museum of Marin County; The Model Child; The Looth Tooth; Dennis Sleighs 'Em; All Balled Up; Tall Story; Strictly for the Birds; Vote for Sally; Short Cut; Texas Ranger; Fish Story (back cover)

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Spring 1963

Note: All art by Wiseman. Special letter on inside cover from publisher thanking fans and stating it is their 10th anniversary publishing Dennis comics. Classic poses cover.

#14. And His Dog Ruff

New Stories: Putting on the Dog; A Ruff Life; A Bone to Pick; Movie Mischief; Garden Smarty; Ruff's Family Tree; How to Train Your Dog (text with illustrations); Ruff Treatment; Dream Dog (back cover)

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Summer 1963

Note: All art by Wiseman, 100 pages

#15. In Washington, D.C.

New Stories told in Chapters: Welcome to Washington D.C.; Capitol Capers; Not Far From Washington (Jamestown / Williamsburg / Mount Vernon chapter); The White House; The Capitol; The FBI; Panic in the Pentagon

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Summer 1963

Note: Wiseman art, 100 pages. "Dennis in Washington" story from Giant #2 is not reprinted at all in this issue. This issue is all new.

#16. Goes to Camp

Reprints Giant #9.

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Summer 1963.

Notes: Indica reads "3rd printing." Issue is exact page-for-page reprint of #9.

#17. And His Pal Joey

New Stories: To Beach His Own; The Joey-Sitter; Joey the Artist; Dennis and Joey and Momma Goose; Happy Mirthday; It Figures; Pajama Party; Up a Tree (back cover)

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Winter 1963

Note: Date stamp on my copy reads "October 17, 1963," so that gives an indication of when "winter" issues were released.

#18. In Hawaii

Reprints Giant #6.

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Summer 1963.

Notes: An exact page-for-page reprint of Giant #6. Date stamp on this issue reads, "June 18, 1963."

#19. Giant Christmas Issue: Dennis in Christmas City

New Stories: Ding Dong Dennis; Santa's Surprise; Twelve Days of Christmas; No Christmas?; Dennis in Christmas City; Twas the Day Before Christmas; The Star Over Bethlehem

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Winter 1963

Note : Artist unknown

#20. Spring Special

New Stories: Spring Along with Dennis; Fairy 'Nuff; All Steemed Up [sic]; Seal Sale Success Story; Suits Me; A Bunny Funny; Happy Easter: Spring Has Sprung (back cover)

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Spring 1964

Notes: All Wiseman art. Includes Dennis calendar.

#21. Best of Dennis the Menace

Reprints from regular series: Half-Pint Hombre; Joey (solo, no Dennis); School Can Be Ruff; The Tokyo Kid; H-2-Oh-Oh; Short & Sweet; Hold That Tiger; Miss Behavior; Yak Yak Yak Yak; The Last Straw; Joey (solo, no Dennis); The Case of the Soggy Doggies; Dig That Dennis; Between Dennis and the Deep Blue Sea; Down with Telebishion (back cover)

Notes: Mix of artists; some Wiseman.

#22. Television Special

New Stories: The Picnic; The Big Clean-Up; Muscling In; tv -script for "The Community Picnic follows the three comic stories; Tricky Viewing (back cover)

Note: Wiseman art throughout. Each story based on one of the tv episodes from the CBS series.

#23. In Hollywood

Reprints Giant #7.

Publisher: Hallden / Fawcett, Summer 1964

Notes: Exact text reprint of #7 except four black and white cartoons are on the insides of the front and back cover. Back cover displays ad for Giant #25 and #26.

#24. Goes to Camp

Reprints Giant #9.

Note: Indica states "4th printing." Page-for-page exact reprint of Giants #9 and #16.

#25. In Mexico

Reprints Giant #8.

Note: Exact page-for-page reprint of Giant #8, except cover states at top: "2nd Large Printing."

yes we are both fans, i loved the movies, and comic strips, and my mother read the books when she was young, but we live in oregon, so our only shot on decent silver and GA is going to seattle, waiting for the bi-annual con, or looking online, perhaps i can write up a list and take em to the next portland con smile.gif

Great start Joe. Very exhaustive. I'm looking forward to seeing future updates.

You mention the ad for Dennis puppets on Chirstmas Giant # 6. Here's the ad - pulled from the back cover of the regular series issue where it first appeared Dennis the Menace # 31:

Dennis_PuppetAd31.jpg

And in a very ususual attempt to promote better sales of the puppets, issues # 31 and # 32 also featured "Puppet Tales" - very strange little Dennis stories where the characters are drawn (and move) like hand puppets. Notice the expressions on the puppets do not change from panel to panel:

Dennis_PuppetTale031.jpg

I actually owned the "Dennis" puppet when I was kid. I also saw a batch of 4 of these (Dennis, Henry, Mr. Wilson & Joey) go for over $100 on eBay (and the Henry puppet was missing its glasses) this weekend. I would imagine the puppets of the lesser characters (especially Tommy) would be very hard to find.

Okay, the index project has begun!

I have sat for several hours with my collection and have gone through the first 25 Dennis Giants, page by page, twice each. I double-checked each bit of information on each page, and I own each issue, so there is no second-hand information. Bill, thanks for the list and starting us off. When this is completed, we'll have a complete index of the Giant series, then we can move on to the regular series, etc. This may be too much information for most people, but I've been wanting to do it for myself anyway for a while.

Joe

hail.gifhail.gif

And in a very ususual attempt to promote better sales of the puppets, issues # 31 and # 32 also featured "Puppet Tales" - very strange little Dennis stories where the characters are drawn (and move) like hand puppets. Notice the expressions on the puppets do not change from panel to panel:

Billy, thanks for posting the story. I have to admit I find Puppet Tales unnerving, between the lack of hands and the same expressions in each panel.