• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
3 3

1,442 posts in this topic

sorry.gif

I thought the homages were readable, but I guess there are different computers, screens, etc, so I rescanned them. Hope everyone can read them this time. I re-edited the Groening one, but the Hembeck piece I broke into four quarters: top left is first scan; top right is second; bottom left is third; and the bottom right of the page is the fourth scan. Enjoy!

Joe

770610-111h.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You know what? This doesn't appear much bigger than the other one, so I will have to rethink how to do this.

Mark, cool post! Over the years I've seen these cut-up panels appearing, and I've seen you bidding, but it's all been a mystery up till now. Very interesting! This is why I never see whole pages of the early stuff go up for sale. I know you and I have had many discussions about the relative scarcity of early Dennis art.

By the way, over the next few days, I was going to send some emails out to other Dennis collectors about this thread, hoping they find it. If you can think of any people who may be interested, invite them!

Joe

Does anyone know anything about this one? I'm just hosting the scan for Mister_Comics. Cool book.

dennis.jpg

Thanks Mister_Comics and Jeffreykli for posting the third of the Dennis giveaways, Dennis the Menace Takes a Poke at Poison. This comic was published in 1961 by the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare.

Well, everybody, the question was raised: Is there a difference between the 1961 version of this comic and the 1981 version? Finally I have a definitive answer to this question, and it turns out that the 1981 version of this comics is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the 1961 version. The 1981 version (above) is cover to cover a Ketcham assistant, whereas the 1961 version (below) is cover to cover Al Wiseman. They are literally two completely different comics, so if you are a Dennis completist, sorry to add one item to your list of "must haves."

Joe

PS - I am still working on indexing the giants, so I am not posting as much. New list coming soon, hopefully with 26 through 100.

755955-giveawaypoison.jpg

Well, I finally got my avatar graphic small enough so the board would accept it. Only problem is the line work looks sort of sketchy. That's not the way the scan looked on my computer screen. Anybody have any suggestions on how I could sharpen the image? (I'll keep trying until I get it right!)

I was busy with a freelance writing project last week, so I couldn't post much. Just have a couple of quickies today. The first is the original cover to the Dennis the Menace Fun Book.

Dennis_the_Menace_Fun_Book.jpg

While this issue was reprinted many times as part of the Dennis Giant/Bonus Magazine Series. It's first printing was as a one-shot. 100 pages thick, I believe this is also the only printing to sport a blue background (also the only printing carry "No. 1" on the cover as well.). Subsequent reprintings featured a white background. The art inside contains several Wiseman stories, but it is not 100% Wiseman.

As I mentioned before, Al Wiseman and Fred Toole worked themselves into a story in Dennis the Menace # 30. Appropriately called "The Inside Story," this tale had Dennis and his Dad visiting a comic book studio where they met Wiseman and Toole. Very surreal. Here's the last page from the story.

Wiseman__Toole.jpg

As depicted with the crazy glasses, I gotta believe Wiseman wasn't nearly as goofy as he drew himself.

Cool post, Bill! thumbsup2.gif

I'm glad you and Escape are posting interior art, cause I'm still not sure how to do it without damaging the comic. Just for the sake of comparison, and for saving everyone the trouble of finding this picture from a previous post, here is a picture of Toole on the left, Ketcham in the middle, and Wiseman on the right.

750500-ket3newwise.jpg

I too am swamped with my job right now and most likely won't do much substantial posting before the weekend, but I look forward to getting back to posting a bunch of stuff.

Joe

As I mentioned before, Al Wiseman and Fred Toole worked themselves into a story in Dennis the Menace # 30. Appropriately called "The Inside Story," this tale had Dennis and his Dad visiting a comic book studio where they met Wiseman and Toole. Very surreal. Here's the last page from the story.

Wiseman__Toole.jpg

As depicted with the crazy glasses, I gotta believe Wiseman wasn't nearly as goofy as he drew himself.

893applaud-thumb.gif I always love the slamming doors as people send the Mitchells on their way, and comments from Dennis like "He sure cries easy"! 27_laughing.gifGreat panel, I'm definitely going to need to find a copy of this issue.

10.jpg

I am brand new to this... This is my first post ever. I have Dennis and the Bible Kids # 10. Mine has the same side splitting defect that was mentioned by FlyingDonut at the bottom of boards-page 14. I've had mine for many years so this is obviously a different book. I read it once way back then and never noticed the split until I saw this thread and decided to investigate my stash of books. Yep, its still attached and looks good but there is the split. I hope I am able to post the scan correctly.

10split.jpg

The split is not noticeable unless it lays flat in it's bag, then part of the back cover starts to relax and lay flat.

Here's page 1 and 2 of Dennis and the Bible Kids # 10. Enjoy. By the way this did not hurt the split spine any further. I held it very carefully during the scanning. I didn't risk scanning any more though. It's safely back in the bag with board.

10page01.jpg

Notice the water coloring and the wavy panel borders.

10page02.jpg

893blahblah.gif

Edited by mica

I know this may be in danger of getting the thread off subject but in my copy of Dennis 122 there is a non-Dennis story by someone named ED HOFZIGER? I don't know much (anything) about these characters but for some reason the art looks strangely familiar.

dennis122page.jpg

And of course the book it came out of.

dennis122.jpg

Here's the story from CBM (Well, actually it was from "Gold & Silver - Overstreet's Comic Book Quarterly" that took the place of CBM for a few months. Issue 6) 776656-dtmarticle0001.JPG

776656-dtmarticle0001.JPG.c3834ae3643448dc838069e29d710af3.JPG

Edited by buttock

Mica, WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I find it amazing that now FOUR collectors have come to the cgc forums via our Dennis thread. Thanks for the posts especially of the interior art. Very gutsy of you to place those delicate comics with the easy-to-split spines on your scanner.

I love the art in those later BK comics and am inclined to think it is Ketcham by his linework and the watercolor, which he was doing a lot of at the time. I am no art expert, though. It's cool to see that other collectors out there have that tough last issue, and I'm certainly curious how many of that issue are out there.

The feature in 122 you speak of is typical of the Dennis comics. Many spin-offs of characters occurred over the years that didn't fly (Punky, Screaming Mimi) and some that did, like Joey, who was eventually worked into Dennis's universe.

Again, welcome, and I look forward to more informative posts. And I love your avatar! thumbsup2.gif

Joe

Buttock, thanks a million for taking the time to locate this article, scan it, and post it for all of us Dennis fans! It takes a while to do this, and I for one really appreciate it. The article is excellent and seems to be in the same spirit of many of the posts here in its appreciation of the Wiseman-Toole team and in nailing down the key events of the series. I was interesting to see it was written by Steve Sibra, the famous hermes2pipes of eBay. Great guy and great seller, and now I will have to email him about this thread to invite him here!

Joe