• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not even 2 weeks at the new house and I've already been robbed...

61 posts in this topic

I was happy that we were moving into a nice neighborhood and into an actual house where you had to go up a long walkway to a front door, because when I would schedule my USPS pickups I'd always have to wait for the mail carrier to ring the bell. I had to keep them inside due to living in a condo since we were right on a parking lot for several buildings...too much of a chance to have stuff stolen. Plus our home now is at an angle on the corner of a cul-de-sac...when you drive down the main road you can't even see our front door.

Welp, it turns out I'm the insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I had 20 packages (or so, still checking tracking numbers to see what isn't in the USPS system) taken right from my front doorstep yesterday between 11:30am and 2:30pm. They were there when April's mom got home at 11:30 but gone when I went out to check the mail at 2:30. The only reason why I thought the mail had arrived was due to the stack of packages being gone. Imagine my surprise when the substitute mail carrier showed up around 3:30pm looking for my pickup. He said our regular carrier was off and he was the only one working the development.

I've asked neighbors, I've asked the regular mail carrier, I've called the post office. No one saw or knows of anything. One neighbor (in the cul-de-sac) is a youth pastor so there are lots of traffic/kids at that house, but that's the only "lead" on anything that I have. Everyone has said the same thing...it's a very nice & quiet neighborhood and nothing like this ever happens here. People even leave their garage doors open most of the day.

Everything being sent out was a comic, but nothing CGC or graded. Not sure of the total dollar amount yet as I'm waiting for today's pickup to get registered in the system so I can check the tracking numbers from the last few days, but in my estimation it's around $500 or so.

I'm angry but there's nothing I can do.

Thanks for listening to my venting.

Man, I feel your pain brother. I live on a culdesac. There are 5 in a row in my neighborhood. They all have the same number address but different street names. I have had my mail deliver to 3 of the 5 houses with the same number as mine. Luckily, my neighbors brought over my mail.

I had a nice book I've wanted for a long time never show up even after that the tracking number showed it delivered. I was home all day and could see the postman deliver my mail that day. So I know no one stole it.

Went to my post office and all I got was lip service. I'm thinking of elevating it to whoever my postmaster reports to but expect that they will take his side anyway.

Get a small letter PO box. They will leave a key in it if you get a package to get it out of a larger holding box. Anything important (like comics) go there and I don't have any problem.

Sorry to hear about this.

You should either get a real digital cam system to use to catch someone, or watch your items . Or put out big fake cameras that look like you are watching . Its cheaper to use the fakes and unless the criminals are real dumb or brazen should keep people from bothering your stuff .

You should either get a real digital cam system to use to catch someone, or watch your items . Or put out big fake cameras that look like you are watching . Its cheaper to use the fakes and unless the criminals are real dumb or brazen should keep people from bothering your stuff .

There's a "fake" camera mounted on the corner of the house facing the road as well as stickers in the windows saying that the property is under video surveillance. :(

As far as watching my items I'm just going back to my old system of keeping the pickup inside the house by the front door so the carrier has to ring the bell for the pickup.

Sorry to hear that chip. How is your garage working out?

It's slow going but doing okay. I had a loan that was supposed to go through ending up not so getting the A/C unit and shelving has been a very slow process. I was able to get some cheap shelves and the organization is happening, but very slowly.

I really don't think cameras deter criminals. They either don't notice or care. I see stuff on the news all the time with people on camera and they still get away with it.

I've got an alarm, two big, loud dogs and several very nosy neighbors. You really don't want to break in when I'm home...

Merely place an angry rottweiler on your doorstep trained to smell dirtbag

Yikes! That sucks. Very sorry to hear about it...I hope you can track them down, and soon.

Am I understanding correctly that these were outbound packages -- i.e., stuff you were shipping to customers? If so, I can't imagine a scenario where I would NOT want to hand them directly to a postal clerk at the service counter, have each package scanned, and then get a receipt in my hand to verify that the packages were dropped off by me at such-and-such a time, and now duly (and legally) the responsibility of the USPS. If they're stolen or mishandled after that, you at least have proof that they existed, and channels to follow through the PO itself.

I don't even like leaving outbound packages on the counter at my local PO, which I see people do all the time. I used to work there, and know from personal experience that there are just too many ways--accidental and otherwise--for things to disappear from a busy postal branch.

Or, is your carrier able to scan them at pickup, and give you a receipt on the spot? I've never scheduled a pickup, so I really have no idea how it works...

That stinks. sorry to hear it. I always (if possible) send my items to my job or I have them sent to my inlaws who are always home to receive a package. I had things missing and learned the hard way to never leave anything in front of my house.