• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA Auction: 2015 August 27 - 29 Comics Signature Auction

278 posts in this topic

I thought for sure the previous owner would have held onto that one forever.

Did it bounce around at all post-Heritage, if not, twelve years is sorta forever these days. A while back on the subject of black holes iirc somebody said that ten years is forever to them.

I thought for sure the previous owner would have held onto that one forever.

Did it bounce around at all post-Heritage, if not, twelve years is sorta forever these days. A while back on the subject of black holes iirc somebody said that ten years is forever to them.

I thought it stayed on one collection for all/most of that time. I never heard of it changing hands. I guess it's possible that it moved as it was not in a publicly known/shown collection.

now they're leaps & bounds ahead of ComicLink.?

I'd say that's a very subjective opinion, dependent on the perspective of both the buyer and seller.

As a Buyer, you can't deny that a 0% buyer's commission from Comic Link isn't appealing to the downside of a nearly 20% buyer's commission from Heritage. Of course commissions are both strategic and psychological. So long as you, as a buyer is aware of your "all in" price you'll pay including commissions it's a negligible factor. So, I'd give the edge on the business model (from a buyer's perspective) to Comic Link only charging the seller the commission, where Heritage collects from both Buyer and Seller.

The auction models are clearly different in the live auctioneer style with no finite ending versus the timed live online bidding model with a definitive ending time. With the live auctioneer, buyers can't really get sniped. With the online bidding model, buyers can benefit from sniping. Heritage may have an edge to many in this regard since buyers can also bid by phone, in person and online, so there's many options to participate. So, from a technological standpoint, I think Heritage is more advanced, so I'd give the edge of interactivity to Heritage. I enjoy watching the auctions online with their live video feeds. It does bring sort of an impulsive nature in bidders on the sideline to jump in.

As far as material goes, I've found both a great selection and good prices on both Heritage and Comic Link, and because original art is one of a kind, it's hard to say there's exact comparisons to be made. But, for what I collect, I've seen an equal number of good "grail" caliber pieces on both Heritage and Comic Link of equal measure, be it by artists like Neal Adams, Todd McFarlane, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Gil Kane, Carmine Infantino, John Romita, John Bryne, George Perez, Barry WIndsor Smith, Jim Steranko, Jim Starlin, Wally Wood, Berni Wrightson, or any other tier 1 artists that are highly collected.

I've actually won more pieces and spent more dollars with Comic Link the past 2 years, not as a pointed effort, maybe more because Comic Link had drawn consignors of the type of art I collect, whereas if you like Charles Schultz, Frank Frazetta, EC Horror Art and older material, Heritage may have a bit more of those pieces.

I think most collectors agree, neither auction, specifically Heritage's Signature and ComicLink's Featured, can be ignored, and if anyone is in the business or has the passion of buying/selling original comic artwork, both are necessities to keep an eye on with equal measure.

I still don't get the mind set of the buyers commission as being a road block to a potential bidder? I'm not sure why it would ever cross a bidders mind or why they would bother factoring it into your bid. Just bid what your comfortable at and there you go. (shrug)

I still don't get the mind set of the buyers commission as being a road block to a potential bidder? I'm not sure why it would ever cross a bidders mind or why they would bother factoring it into your bid. Just bid what your comfortable at and there you go. (shrug)

If you have $100 and that's your bid, you'll owe $120 to Heritage. You don't have the extra $20 because you didn't allow for the Buyer's Premium. That's the reason.

If you have $100 and that's your bid, you'll owe $120 to Heritage. You don't have the extra $20 because you didn't allow for the Buyer's Premium. That's the reason.

If your max is 100$ why not just bid it up to $83 and change. If you win you paid $100 if not you don't go higher.

If your max is 100$ why not just bid it up to $83 and change. If you win you paid $100 if not you don't go higher.

That's what "factoring it into your bid" means. The good news is that Heritage will do the math for you.

Any predictions on the 137 DPS?

The DOW was right around 10,000 when last that piece auctioned for $55k.

I think 150k should be possible, but I'm biased. This is the one image of the Dark Phoenix saga that's burned into my memory. Seeing the desperation and confusion in the X-Mens' faces I just knew that something big was about to happen.

That's what "factoring it into your bid" means. The good news is that Heritage will do the math for you.

You`ve just completely contradicted yourself.

Anyone whose max spending limit was $100 and who knew how to "factor into the bid" would never have bid $100 and been surprised he had to pay $120. He would never had bid more than $83 in the first place.

You`ve just completely contradicted yourself.

Anyone whose max spending limit was $100 and who knew how to "factor into the bid" would never have bid $100 and been surprised he had to pay $120. He would never had bid more than $83 in the first place.

I agree that when you define clearly what will be your max bid before hand, the commission doesn't matter much, because you factor it into your bid.

I think the commission is more important if you decide during the heat of the auction (either few seconds before the end of the auction for CLink, or during the live session at Heritage) that you want to go above and beyond what was your initial max bid (maybe because you lost another item, and realize you have more money in your hand). If you have just a few seconds to decide, you don't necessarily have time to factor precisely the commission into your bid. When it happens to me, I do a very rough and conservative estimation of what I will have to pay (let's say the commission is 22%, I will add roughly 1/4 or 1/3, whatever is easier), and might stop slightly lower than I would have if I didn't have to take into account the commission.

But for other people, they might end up slightly (or not so slightly) higher than they planned.

All of this to say, I am more likely to go for "one extra last minute bid" if I don't have to worry about the commission.

I'm not sure why it would ever cross a bidders mind or why they would bother factoring it into your bid. Just bid what your comfortable at and there you go. (shrug)

I made my comment because you wrote in the first quote that you didn't understand why people would bother factoring in the bidder's premium. Yet, in the second one, you say that they would factor it in. I am confused.

Don't worry about responding; I'll accept my confusion.

I don't get the argument here. The BP is calculated for you in the live auction app. You bid what you're willing to pay and the percentage that goes to the seller vs Heritage is irrelevant. BP is just another seller's fee in disguise.

I'm not sure why it would ever cross a bidders mind or why they would bother factoring it into your bid. Just bid what your comfortable at and there you go. (shrug)

I made my comment because you wrote in the first quote that you didn't understand why people would bother factoring in the bidder's premium. Yet, in the second one, you say that they would factor it in. I am confused.

I`m not the one who made the first statement. :gossip: